Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-18: Brewers (Woodruff) at Royals (Bubic) [Brewers lose, 2-0 -- Another good starting pitching performance goes to waste]

Eye Black
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They need to cut their losses on Hiura a month ago while he still has some "former top prospect" value and the league hasn't yet figured out that he can't play. He's looking like a bust.

Agree 100%. He was billed as a pure hitter so it is really sad to see him just swing through fastballs down the middle.

I think the league figured out at least as early as everyone in this board that Hiura was looking like a bust.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Good times if Woodruff is now tanked for this whole game because of starting and then delaying in the 2nd.

Now this is hypothetical, since it never seems to happen in a Woodruff start, but wouldn't an extra 20 minutes be similar to sitting in the dugout during a big inning for the offense?

Was thinking this too. I imagine if the delay lasted much longer then maybe they shut him down and start him on "short rest" on Friday

Good times if Woodruff is now tanked for this whole game because of starting and then delaying in the 2nd.

Now this is hypothetical, since it never seems to happen in a Woodruff start, but wouldn't an extra 20 minutes be similar to sitting in the dugout during a big inning for the offense?

Was thinking this too. I imagine if the delay lasted much longer then maybe they shut him down and start him on "short rest" on Friday

Short delay yeah no problem. I was wondering at the time if it'd be a long one. Just watching on GameDay.

They need to cut their losses on Hiura a month ago while he still has some "former top prospect" value and the league hasn't yet figured out that he can't play. He's looking like a bust.

Agree 100%. He was billed as a pure hitter so it is really sad to see him just swing through fastballs down the middle.

I think the league figured out at least as early as everyone in this board that Hiura was looking like a bust.

The same thing was said of Woodruff, Peralta, and Burnes. Give the kid time before you label someone a bust. He came out hot. Teams figured out that his weakness is the fastball at the top of the zone (bad combo that he can't touch it, and it's called a strike consistently these days). Now he needs to adjust.

The same thing was said of Woodruff, Peralta, and Burnes. Give the kid time before you label someone a bust. He came out hot. Teams figured out that his weakness is the fastball at the top of the zone (bad combo that he can't touch it, and it's called a strike consistently these days). Now he needs to adjust.

If only that was his only weakness. There's also fastballs down the middle, breaking balls anywhere but especially low and away. You know, pitches.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
OH man, Bill...stop talking about EV like you know what you're talking about.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If only that was his only weakness. There's also fastballs down the middle, breaking balls anywhere but especially low and away. You know, pitches.

I suspect Hiura will be recalled sooner rather than later. And while the 6-19 he is thus far with several doubles in the minors is encouraging, he has now struck out 8 times. I just don't think he can realistically expect to hit major league pitching without a major overhaul. And he has to be willing to do that and I'm not convinced he ever will.

This is the 163rd big league game for Urias. .209/.316/.365 and shaky D leaves a lot to be desired

He has a little better eye at the plate but he has the same front foot problem that 2/3 of the Brewer hitters do

Community Moderator
This is the 163rd big league game for Urias. .209/.316/.365 and shaky D leaves a lot to be desired

163 games spanning over 4 seasons. Lets see what he does over the course of a full season of regular playing time.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Been watching the NBA games, glad to see I've missed literally nothing in this game. Pretty standard this year outside of last Sunday.

Man Woodruff is a machine these days though.

I've been watching NHL games on one TV and Brewer with sound off on the other

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Community Moderator
What an absolutely terrible strike three call to Yelich. Baseball is already struggling with offense plummeting, and now umpires are going to give pitchers 3-4 inches off the plate.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived