Brewer Fanatic

Change of Scenery Trades

I am just curious if anybody thinks the good old change of scenery trades happen anymore?

I was thinking about Keston Hiura and the off-the-field issues he is (likely) enduring with a sick mother impacting his on-the-field baseball abilities and if there is a solution to those challenges. While I can't remember a recent change of scenery trades, it would seem if there ever was a time for something like this, it might be now. Now I am in no way advocating for a bad baseball decision to ease the situation but if it would make sense from a baseball perspective, would the Brewers entertain it?

For example, if the goal were to get Hiura to Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco, would the Brewers be interested in say Hiura + for Gavin Lux. Would the Dodgers have any interest in something like this? I understand Hiura looks lost but Lux hasn't lit the world on fire (save last night) and I have to believe the Brewers would love the hometown kid angle while getting Hiura back to Southern California. Would seem to solve a couple of non-baseball related issues. Hiura back to California, Lux back to Wisconsin. Be interesting to see how much the shine is off Hiura despite his outproducing Lux in his first ABs in MLB.

Now I know this may be pie-in-the-sky thinking, but it would be interesting to hear if these angles are at least thought of by front offices.

I get it, and I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but at least Keston has had success in the pros. Gavin has just been a disappointment.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

The Cardinals did something similar back in 2017 (during the offseason) by sending Stephen Piscotty to the A’s. In that case it was done to get Piscotty closer to his mom who was battling Lou Gehrig's disease. Piscotty went on to have a very good season on the field that year (in 2018), but unfortunately his mom passed away that May.

Regarding the proposal, I think the Brewers would probably do a Hiura for Lux swap in a heartbeat, but unfortunately it seems like Hiura’s value, especially for a team without the DH, has taken a drastic hit.

Either way, it’s an interesting thought experiment to wonder if there is a team out there that believes they could help fix Hiura’s current offensive issues.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Fun theory until you consider Lux plays decent 2B and Hiura can't even play passable 1B. That probably tips the scale on who is more valuable at this point.

Imagine going back to 2019 and being told in two years people would want to trade Hiura for a guy with a career 68 OPS+

• 2 weeks later...
Community Moderator
Have the Angels soured on Adell? He's the #6 prospect in baseball. I know he looked rough in his initial MLB time, but even though I still hold optimism for Keston's future, I'd trade him for Adell in a heartbeat.

Have the Angels soured on Adell? He's the #6 prospect in baseball. I know he looked rough in his initial MLB time, but even though I still hold optimism for Keston's future, I'd trade him for Adell in a heartbeat.

There has been no report. It’s just a “change of scenery” type move I threw out there. Hiura was a top 20 guy too and flew through the minors. He probably would have had been top 10 at some point if they took their time with him more. They both have struggled mightily.

Community Moderator

There has been no report. It’s just a “change of scenery” type move I threw out there. Hiura was a top 20 guy too and flew through the minors. He probably would have had been top 10 at some point if they took their time with him more. They both have struggled mightily.

I guess my question is more to the point of whether the Angels actually think Adell needs a change of scenery or not. Keston has 600 MLB ABs, Adell has 125.

I guess my question is more to the point of whether the Angels actually think Adell needs a change of scenery or not. Keston has 600 MLB ABs, Adell has 125.

I basically threw the idea out there for fun. It’s two young guys that were supposed to be stars and both look overmatched. I doubt they view him as needing a change of scenery. Just a struggling top prospect for struggling top prospect trade and was curious on people’s opinions on if they would prefer Adell who hasn’t hit MLB pitching yet at all, but can play the outfield. Or a basically DH type guy in Hiura, but has shown some success with the stick initially. The Angels would be able to use him as a DH where we aren’t able to do so. At least not in 2021.

How would people feel about a Keston Hiura for Jo Adell swap?

In his short time with the Angels, Adell reminded me a lot of Lewis Brinson. Super athlete with impressive MiLB numbers and massive holes in his swing against MLB pitchers. I think this one would be too risky for me given Hiura's early success in his career. I like the thought though.

Jeez, wasn't Adell suppose to be a project coming out of HS? Even if not, wow they rushed him through the minors. Not sure Keston Hiura was really all that rushed. Same draft and Hiura only made it a year earlier despite being a college bat. He only has a few hundred ABs less in the minors compared to Adell.

• 2 weeks later...
How would people feel about a Keston Hiura for Jo Adell swap?

The Brewers don't really need another OF.

Any team that has to start a journeyman infielder like Jace Peterson in the OF even for a game or two cannot be said to not need another outfielder.

I'd consider Yelich for Hosmer, though there is insane risk there.

Of course if Yelich returns to MVP Yelich or even 80% of that, you are giving up a star during the Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta years.

However, the benefits would be:

Short-term: $5m in 2022 and $13m/year in 2023-2025 (unless he opts out, then $26m each year 2023-2025).

Long-term: $26m/year 2026-2028.

I was not a major fan of the extension due to the risk of what we're seeing right now of Yelich breaking down early, but also the obvious long-term burden a la Braun. Of course, we'd maybe be losing Yelich after this year if not for the extension.

Right now may be the turning point, but in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months from now, it's possible that the $5m next year or $13m in savings for the following 3 years may be massive instead of a fading/injury prone corner OF as we are maxing out Mark's payroll with a dominant pitching staff window.

I'd consider Yelich for Hosmer, though there is insane risk there.

Of course if Yelich returns to MVP Yelich or even 80% of that, you are giving up a star during the Burnes/Woodruff/Peralta years.

However, the benefits would be:

Short-term: $5m in 2022 and $13m/year in 2023-2025 (unless he opts out, then $26m each year 2023-2025).

Long-term: $26m/year 2026-2028.

I was not a major fan of the extension due to the risk of what we're seeing right now of Yelich breaking down early, but also the obvious long-term burden a la Braun. Of course, we'd maybe be losing Yelich after this year if not for the extension.

Right now may be the turning point, but in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months from now, it's possible that the $5m next year or $13m in savings for the following 3 years may be massive instead of a fading/injury prone corner OF as we are maxing out Mark's payroll with a dominant pitching staff window.[/quote

There is nothing that says Hosmer won't get worse too. He isn't exactly setting the world on fire (.255/.315/.674) and very easily could regress even further.

There is nothing that says Hosmer won't get worse too. He isn't exactly setting the world on fire (.255/.315/.674) and very easily could regress even further.

I don't think anyone advocating (and I think that's probably too strong of a word for it) would do it because Hosmer is good or even mediocre. They'd do it because we would only owe $59 million over 4 years instead of $188 million over 7. When we don't spend a lot of money to begin with, that's a huge chunk of change. Whether they would do something worth the cost savings we would be getting is up for debate and I'm not sure I would do it but it at least warrants consideration.

Archived