Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-07: Brewers (Suter) at Marlins (Rogers) [Brewers lose, 6-1 -- Free fall continues with 6th straight loss; Crew allows 4th grand slam since Sunday]

Eye Black
Verified Member
It would suck to be Nottingham.

He knows damn well he is gone as soon as Narvy and Pina return...

He shouldn't be. Maile is trash.

You think they will keep 3 catchers?

Both Maile and Nottingham are goners when they get back.

If Vogelbach doesn't start hitting soon I think they might think a third catcher who could play 1st is more valuable than a DH who can't hit.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BA and Rock have pretty much given up on even calling this game. Just BS talk

I'd rather listen to BA and Rock talk BS than these Marlin announcers gush at our expense.

Verified Member
BA and Rock have pretty much given up on even calling this game. Just BS talk

I'd rather listen to BA and Rock talk BS than these Marlin announcers gush at our expense.

MLB.TV

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I hope we can turn it around, because we'd be a bad fit for a seller.

Hader would be the only obvious trade piece. Everything else would be either uninteresting crap, or pieces that we want to build around for the future.

Community Moderator
Now over 100 plate appearances on the season, Urias has his BABIP right back to where it should be (.298). Aside from his low batting average (.233) his overall line is right around what I’d expect from him going forward: .343 OBP, .407 SLG, .750 OPS. I’d be content with that production from the shortstop position.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member
Now over 100 plate appearances on the season, Urias has his BABIP right back to where it should be (.298). Aside from his batting average (.233) his overall line is right around what I’d expect from him going forward: .343 OBP, .407 SLG, .750 OPS. I’d be content with that production from the shortstop position.

Lets hope the arm accuracy comes around

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Now over 100 plate appearances on the season, Urias has his BABIP right back to where it should be (.298). Aside from his low batting average (.233) his overall line is right around what I’d expect from him going forward: .343 OBP, .407 SLG, .750 OPS. I’d be content with that production from the shortstop position.

In a vacuum, I'd be content with that production from the shortstop position.

In context of our activities the last 18 months, if that is what we get going forward, it essentially means not only did we did not upgrade from Arcia at all at that position, but we paid a very heavy price for that lateral move.

Verified Member

In context of our activities the last 18 months, if that is what we get going forward, it essentially means not only did we did not upgrade from Arcia at all at that position, but we paid a very heavy price for that lateral move.

Yeah, if that is all Urias ever becomes, we got screwed over.

Grisham would sure look great in our outfield the next 5 seasons.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah, if that is all Urias ever becomes, we got screwed over.

Grisham would sure look great in our outfield the next 5 seasons.

Sure seems like Stearns caved to those idiot fans who showed so much hate for Grisham after his error in the Wild Card game. Really too bad all around.

I really hope that is not why he traded Grisham. I think he screwed up and made a bad trade, but I really hope it was just because he loved Urias and not to scapegoat Grisham after the playoff game error. I would lose a lot of respect for him if that were the case.

Community Moderator

That would be an offensive upgrade over what Orlando Arcia provided. Arcia has a career .294 OBP and .364 SLG. That includes what was by far his best full season back in 2017.

I doubt the error had anything to do with the trade.

He needed to upgrade SS……they liked Urias and SD wanted Grisham.

Both were prospects without much major league track record……I don’t blame Stearns at all for making the deal….and as I recall there was lots of praise for the trade on this board when it was made.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39276&hilit=Grusham+urias+Davies+Lauer+trade

Both were prospects without much major league track record……I don’t blame Stearns at all for making the deal….and as I recall there was lots of praise for the trade on this board when it was made.

There definitely was. My comment was more a tongue-in-cheek ribbing of the Stearns haters. I personally still really like Urias's upside, and am pulling for him. Grisham's productivity is certainly giving the early returns to the Stearns haters, though, unfortunately. It does finally look like the Brewers may get something out of Lauer, though, as well.

Community Moderator

Agree with this. Reports were the Padres had been fawning over Grisham since he was in high school. At the time it looked like the Brewers were getting the best player in the trade. I wasn’t trying to induce more lamenting about the trade, just mentioning that for now it isn’t terrible production for Urias. Yes, obviously I hope he continues to improve and would love for him to consistently produce an .800 or greater OPS.

Yes, the consensus on that trade around here was generally positive.

It certainly looks like we were wrong, and Stearns was wrong.

If you are adding the caveat "so far", I agree. But Urias is 23, and Lauer is 25. It would be horribly premature to chalk that trade up as a loss right now.

There definitely was. My comment was more a tongue-in-cheek ribbing of the Stearns haters. I personally still really like Urias's upside, and am pulling for him. Grisham's productivity is certainly giving the early returns to the Stearns haters, though, unfortunately. It does finally look like the Brewers may get something out of Lauer, though, as well.

I don't think you could find a bigger Stearns fan than me from his hiring until the '19 season.

I have never considered myself a Stearns hater.

However, if you really look at every individual move since the end of '19 (I think too often people really on the narrative that we made the playoffs more lately so he must be doing great), it's been whiff after whiff after whiff.

There's a couple good moves in there. Feyereisen. Wong looks fine so far.

But if you really dive into the moves the last 18 months, it's been a brutal stretch for Stearns and Arnold.

I don't think you could find a bigger Stearns fan than me from his hiring until the '19 season.

I have never considered myself a Stearns hater.

However, if you really look at every individual move since the end of '19 (I think too often people really on the narrative that we made the playoffs more lately so he must be doing great), it's been whiff after whiff after whiff.

There's a couple good moves in there. Feyereisen. Wong looks fine so far.

But if you really dive into the moves the last 18 months, it's been a brutal stretch for Stearns and Arnold.

I don't disagree. His batting average lately hasn't been incredibly high. Dude earned himself a pretty long leash, though.

I don't disagree. His batting average lately hasn't been incredibly high. Dude earned himself a pretty long leash, though.

No disagreement there either. It's been a rough stretch since '19, but you still have to consider the larger body of work, too. Hopefully they can turn things around.

I'm also curious as to who started calling what shots when and who is really spearheading personnel decisions. I imagine it's kind of a committee approach right now, but there may have been some kind of change to how they approached decisions over the years. If I'm not mistaken, Arnold is technically the GM, not Stearns.

No disagreement there either. It's been a rough stretch since '19, but you still have to consider the larger body of work, too. Hopefully they can turn things around.

I'm also curious as to who started calling what shots when and who is really spearheading personnel decisions. I imagine it's kind of a committee approach right now, but there may have been some kind of change to how they approached decisions over the years. If I'm not mistaken, Arnold is technically the GM, not Stearns.

I wouldn't doubt that Stearns still makes all the big calls (Wong, Bradley Jr., etc), but I imagine Arnold may make the DFA calls and those type of moves. Probably a team effort most of the time.

Archived