Brewer Fanatic

RIP Del Crandall

JimH5
Verified Member

The last living player to have been with the Boston Braves. Long time All Star Catcher with the Milwaukee Braves, and later the Manager of the Brewers, Del Crandall died yesterday at age 91.

Rest in Peace.

Best catcher in the NL from 56-62, with the exception of 61 when he missed most of the year with an injury and was replaced by a very young Joe Torre. Very instrumental in the career of Warren Spahn. I attended my first Braves game in 1958, and Crandall was sitting that night. I kept asking my dad why Crandall wasn't playing. Other than Aaron and Mathews, he was my favorite player. Sad day. RIP Del.

I remember him being a color commentator for the Brewers for a couple of years and then he was replaced by Bill Schroeder in the mid 90s.

Probably the best career by a catcher in Milwakee baseball history.

Yes he was paired with Rory Markus from 92 through 94. Looked this up and forgot that Pashke worked with Rock his first few years.

Archived