Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-04: Brewers (Lauer) at Phillies (Nola) [Brewers lose, 6-5 -- Defense commits 3 errors; Comeback attempt falls short]

Eye Black
Reality is about to slap this team upside the head. Injuries suck but beyond that they just don't create offense at any kind of winning level. Mets fired their hitting coaches yesterday and they look like the old Oakland bash brothers compared to this.

That’s not true either. Only Detroit has scored less than the Mets and that is with their stars, Lindor, Conforto, et al mostly healthy and available all year

Well they scored 18 runs over three games this past week. That's a month worth for the crew. Credit them for not messing around and making a change. The Haines era should have ended long ago. That said I'm sure there will be those who use the Yelich injury as a reason for the issues they have but it shouldn't be. Everyone is doing what you thought they would do based on recent track record except maybe Omar who has been great.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can’t believe they’re leaving Nola in with that many pitches and after he had to labor to get through the first.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

This team has a weird habit of winning close games but when they lose, they lose big. If they give up a big inning then they just know the offense won't be able to come back so they pack it in and get ready to fight again tomorrow.

At least they give the A relievers a day off in the process...

Good grief.

He's a below replacement player for his career. He is the literal definition of a replaceable player. Would he find a job somewhere else? I don't know, but I know they could plug and play just about any alternative at 1B and be just as fine.

Guys like Vogelbach are a dime a dozen. It's harsh but true.

I guess you’d have no problem giving me 5 names of first basemen better they could acquire tomorrow?

I get it he’s not a sexy player, but the reality is unless you’re a yankee or dodger fan they can’t all be. Vogelbach is cheap, left handed, has hit 40+ homeruns in about a season and a half worth of games. That’s looking at the stat sheet. The Brewers brass have all sorts of information on players besides the stat sheet and their photograph.

Good grief.

He's a below replacement player for his career. He is the literal definition of a replaceable player. Would he find a job somewhere else? I don't know, but I know they could plug and play just about any alternative at 1B and be just as fine.

I guess you’d have no problem giving me 5 names of first basemen better they could acquire tomorrow?

I get it he’s not a sexy player, but the reality is unless you’re a yankee or dodger fan they can’t all be. Vogelbach is cheap, left handed, has hit 40+ homeruns in about a season and a half worth of games. That’s looking at the stat sheet. The Brewers brass have all sorts of information on players besides the stat sheet and their photograph.

Gyorko if he's actually available, Braun if he's actually available, Hiura was about the same, Matt Adams probably would have been a better sign, Edwin Encarnacion....that's without speculating into names they could acquire in trade if they really wanted to and without considering the numerous guys at other positions that could probably move to 1B without much concern.

I'm not even saying we should actually actively move to replace him right now, but if Hiura doesn't do enough to eventually take that spot back, this offense is in trouble. And I'm not even saying that there aren't guys like this on rosters, I understand that there are, but we have too many that get regular reps on this roster while guys like Brad Miller sign in Philly for 3-4M.

All I was saying about Vogelbach is that he's totally replaceable and if he retired tomorrow they would find someone else and it would have no negative affect on the offense. But yes, somebody has to take the reps there.

Community Moderator
I guess we see why the Phillies wanted to run Nola's arm into the ground.

I’ve been hoping we’d get to see the Phillies bullpen all the fuss was about the over the past year.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I guess we see why the Phillies wanted to run Nola's arm into the ground.

I’ve been hoping we’d get to see the Phillies bullpen all the fuss was about the over the past year.

I would think that Neris is unavailable after 40 pitches last night, but if they were willing to have Nola go 120 to minimize the damage from their pen I guess who really knows.

Good grief.

Gyorko if he's actually available, Braun if he's actually available, Hiura was about the same, Matt Adams probably would have been a better sign, Edwin Encarnacion....that's without speculating into names they could acquire in trade if they really wanted to and without considering the numerous guys at other positions that could probably move to 1B without much concern.

I'm not even saying we should actually actively move to replace him right now, but if Hiura doesn't do enough to eventually take that spot back, this offense is in trouble. And I'm not even saying that there aren't guys like this on rosters, I understand that there are, but we have too many that get regular reps on this roster while guys like Brad Miller sign in Philly for 3-4M.

All I was saying about Vogelbach is that he's totally replaceable and if he retired tomorrow they would find someone else and it would have no negative affect on the offense. But yes, somebody has to take the reps there.

Really? Just admit you don’t like the cut of the guy’s jib and move on. In a sport where money talks loudest, you suggested three guys who are either retired or sitting home (ie. nobody wanted them or nobody made an offer worth their time) and Adams was sitting at home when the season started too for the same reasons before catching on with one of the NL’s worst teams. Then Hiura who they gave the job to and he literally played his way off the team.

I’m not implying Vogelbach is a long term building block; it’s just not as easy to find someone who can do better as implied.

Coonrod is a flame-thrower. Will he try to get 5 outs in a back-to-back?

Not sure what else is out there for Girardi...

Edit: Quiet Phillie pen, so that seems to be the plan.

He's impressive. Looks like a future closer.

Archived