Brewer Fanatic

keston hiura optioned

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
He certainly did exactly what you would have hoped for at Nashville- found success and presumably got some confidence back. As JB noted, it doesn't guarantee any sort of MLB success, but he did what you hoped he would in AAA.

it should be noted that hiura spent more than 20 days on optional assignment, which means he burned his second option. if a player spends less than 20 days on optional assignment for an entire season, he doesn't burn his option, and he is credited with major league service time for the time spent on optional assignment.

Hopefully things go better this time around as we absolutely need him. However, he kept up his strikeout pace in the minors so I'm not sure anything will be much different when he goes back to facing big league pitching.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
MassHaas called it this morning on Twitter.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It will be a bit troubling if he comes back from mashing like that in AAA and is the same guy from the first month of the season.

Right, that's a big grit your teeth moment of "what now". I had the same thought pop in my head specific tonight vs a top level pitcher. Confidence is back right now, etc, well an 0-4 tonight with two or three Ks makes a lot of people worried and he likely feels pressure again.

here's hoping for a semblance of his 2019 call up

It will be a bit troubling if he comes back from mashing like that in AAA and is the same guy from the first month of the season.

Andy Haines should be a little troubled if he comes up and mashes immediately.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. He's still going to strikeout a ton no matter what happens.

Community Moderator

Andy Haines should be a little troubled if he comes up and mashes immediately.

Kind of a lose-lose for Haines, really. It's either 'they were able to fix his swing in AAA, but Haines couldn't' if he hits, and if he doesn't, it's 'he was fine before he came back up and Haines screwed it up again'...

Really hoping for Keston's and the Brewers' sake (and us as fans' sake), that he has turned the corner. Realistically, he is going to strike out a ton still. But if he can get his AVG to ~.260 that is more than enough to tolerate the high whiffs as it will likely come with substantial pop. Good luck Keston.

Verified Member

Hiura is one of my favorite players so I've hesitated to be too negative on him, but I think he needs to stay down in AAA for an extended period of time until he fixes his plate discipline. I'm not knowledgable enough to pinpoint what changed in his approach, but if you just look as his career minors/majors stats it seems clear that at a certain point he decided he could be successful by just swinging hard at everything. When he was first coming up in the minors his K% was not this bad.

I know it's difficult to keep him down when he can probably put up decent stats despite not fixing the flaws, while our MLB roster is terrible, but it's in the long-term interests of everyone.

Verified Member
Hiura is nowhere near a major league caliber player. No glove, no arm, poor base runner, and now the literal worst hitter in MLB. He’s done if he doesn’t change his entire approach and swing path. Sucks to say but he’s just drowning at the major league level and needs a complete overhaul.

Verified Member
Hiura is nowhere near a major league caliber player.

Well I think this is clearly wrong. He's 24 and if you even our small samples in either direction by just looking at his overall career stats, he has 689 PA hitting .250/.327/.472 with a 108 wRC+

His approach right now is definitely not cutting it though.

Verified Member
Hiura is nowhere near a major league caliber player.

Well I think this is clearly wrong. He's 24 and if you even our small samples in either direction by just looking at his overall career stats, he has 689 PA hitting .250/.327/.472 with a 108 wRC+

His approach right now is definitely not cutting it though.

I should have added a “right now” at the end of that first sentence but with his only average or above tool/s being tied to a bat that can no longer make contact, he’s among the least valuable players.

He still looks lost at the plate also his base running skills need to be worked on

Hiura didn't learn much while down at Nashville. Since his return 1 for 8 with 4 Ks. He looks even more lost then before they sent him down the first time. Obviously this horrendous offense (26th in runs scored - 5th most Ks by hitters - 29th in BA -28th in OBP/SLG/OPS) needs Hiura to perform, but right now he is just plain bad. 1B continues to be the black hole.