Brewer Fanatic

keston hiura optioned

Verified Member
Keston reminds me a bit of Rickie Weeks and I worry that like Rickie, Keston will never truly live up to the hype. I think back to how much Rickie frustrated the fanbase in his age 24-25 seasons, right when everyone was expecting him to be a perennial all-star. Although looking back at the numbers we would gladly take Rickie Weeks at 1B right now.

Agreed that Keston may have to ditch his weird timing routine.

Rickie Weeks ultimately peaked as the best 2B in baseball for a year or two. Granted it was a brief window, but I'd be happy with that outcome. :)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keston reminds me a bit of Rickie Weeks and I worry that like Rickie, Keston will never truly live up to the hype. I think back to how much Rickie frustrated the fanbase in his age 24-25 seasons, right when everyone was expecting him to be a perennial all-star. Although looking back at the numbers we would gladly take Rickie Weeks at 1B right now.

Right now I would be absolutely thrilled if Huira's career production ends up anywhere near Rickie Weeks.

Hiura has had 683 PAs at the major league level. He was great in the first 348, and not-so-great in the last 335, which included the crazy season of 2020.

It's way too early to give up on him, but I'm glad they're sending him to the minors to figure things out. I hope they take as much time as he needs, and don't rush him back before he's ready.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Hiura's career arc up til now is similar to a lot of players that turned out to be really good. Great first year, lackluster 2nd year. If you look at the good ones, they steadily improved after year 2 though so this year is important for him to work it out in the minors and come back to at least average production.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Like has been mentioned, I really hope they have looked at the possibility his eyes are messed up.

I would certainly hope a MLB training staff would think of that as one possible source of his ineptness.

Verified Member

Right now I would be absolutely thrilled if Huira's career production ends up anywhere near Rickie Weeks.

Yup, Rickie ended up with over 18 WAR. The difference is that it took until his third season to have an over 2 WAR season whereas Keston got one in his first. Its the inverse and now everyone wonders if Keston can do it again... or at least I wonder if he can.

Good luck to him. I'm not holding my breath

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I'm almost hoping Hiura struggles in the minors. The reason I say that is because I'm largely convinced he will need to completely rework his leg lift and swing plane to have success at the major league level. Not sure he's ready to go there yet but struggling in the minors might make him amenable to it. He hasn't played in the first two games in the minors so maybe he already is doing a makeover.

In the interim, I will continue to call for McKinney to take over as the regular 1B with Taylor getting regular time in the OF.

He hasn't played in the first two games in the minors so maybe he already is doing a makeover.

when a player is optioned, he usually has a couple days to report. it's a courtesy to the player. hiura deserves the time to get back to his residence in milwaukee and manage his belongings before joining the sounds wherever they may be.

it typically means that the minor league club plays short-handed for a little bit . . . and that can be burdensome on them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He hasn't played in the first two games in the minors so maybe he already is doing a makeover.

when a player is optioned, he usually has a couple days to report. it's a courtesy to the player. hiura deserves the time to get back to his residence in milwaukee and manage his belongings before joining the sounds wherever they may be.

it typically means that the minor league club plays short-handed for a little bit . . . and that can be burdensome on them.

Yeah, plus his mom has cancer so he may have wanted to take advantage and go see her for a few days.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Counsell stated that Hiura wouldn't be playing right away:

“At this point, it’s just best for Keston, I think, to get to a different environment, maybe take a little time off here before he starts playing in games again, and then just get started in a new environment."

I'm almost hoping Hiura struggles in the minors. The reason I say that is because I'm largely convinced he will need to completely rework his leg lift and swing plane to have success at the major league level. Not sure he's ready to go there yet but struggling in the minors might make him amenable to it. He hasn't played in the first two games in the minors so maybe he already is doing a makeover.

In the interim, I will continue to call for McKinney to take over as the regular 1B with Taylor getting regular time in the OF.

You have to feel bad for Council when a team is so bad offensively that a journeyman like McKinney (.230/.278) is his best option at 1B!

You have to feel bad for Council when a team is so bad offensively that a journeyman like McKinney (.230/.278) is his best option at 1B!

That's for sure. I so wish they had signed Cron in the offseason. Better against lefties but still quite solid against righties too. I'll hope for an Aguillar trade if the Marlins are out of it come the trade deadline.

Yeah, plus his mom has cancer so he may have wanted to take advantage and go see her for a few days.

So, he's got a very big family health crisis on his mind. Can explain the struggles.

Didn't Travis Shaw's daughter have health problems in 2019, when he dropped off a cliff offensively? I also remember Jean Segura struggled the year he had a VERY sick child, too.

Such things can really impact people's performance. They can be really consuming mentally and emotionally.

So, he's got a very big family health crisis on his mind. Can explain the struggles.

Didn't Travis Shaw's daughter have health problems in 2019, when he dropped off a cliff offensively? I also remember Jean Segura struggled the year he had a VERY sick child, too.

Such things can really impact people's performance. They can be really consuming mentally and emotionally.

Travis Shaw’s daughter had open heart surgery shortly after birth in 2017. She also was likely to require a second heart surgery between the age of 2-3. I do not recall a follow up on if she had a second surgery up to this point or how she is doing to this day.

Segura’s child died in 2014, the first of two seasons where he struggled with the Brewers before they traded him.

Shaw missed a series in Pittsburgh in June 2018 to stay home and be with his wife and daughter. His 2019 problems were well after the crisis.

Watching his mom (who I assume is still quite young) battle cancer is a helpless feeling and this may be a lost season for him for that reason.

His struggles can be explained by a lot of baseball related things. He had red flags in 2019 and was terrible in 2020. While his unfortunate events at home certainly don’t help...I don’t think that is one of the major cause of his struggles. He is worse this year, but that can probably be attributed more to teams attacking his inefficiencies even more and probably to some extent the rocky positional change.

Rick Sweet said they were going to let him get acclimated for a few days and then start him at first base.

Hopefully "get acclimated" means "spend time with Sara fixing swing".

Just bring in Sean Thompson, or send Keston back home to spend some time with him. Even beyond the pandemic protocols, it's probably not normal to bring in outside help, but he's had success with him in the past. Maybe a return to his old mechanics would be a step in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...