Brewer Fanatic

keston hiura optioned

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Good news - his mom is officially in remission
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

From tracking box scores, it seems like Keston has been hitting pretty well the last week +.....callup most likely to get him some ABs while guys who will be on the playoff roster get some rest, and probably also a mental pick-me-up to finish the regular season with the MLB club.

Still rooting for this guy!

How insane would it be if Keston comes up & somehow the light comes back on & he hits like the 2018 version & maybe even gets some big postseason knocks.

It's probably about the same odds as the Cardinals winning 17 in a row, but we literally just saw that happen, so who knows.

From tracking box scores, it seems like Keston has been hitting pretty well the last week +.....callup most likely to get him some ABs while guys who will be on the playoff roster get some rest, and probably also a mental pick-me-up to finish the regular season with the MLB club.

Still rooting for this guy!

How insane would it be if Keston comes up & somehow the light comes back on & he hits like the 2018 version & maybe even gets some big postseason knocks.

It's probably about the same odds as the Cardinals winning 17 in a row, but we literally just saw that happen, so who knows.

It's possible, I mean Arcia was Mr. October in past seasons.

I've been a baseball fan for a looong time now, and I feel dumb for asking, but does the AAA season always last this long? I thought they were done with regular season games by now. Is this a 2021 thing? I see they have games up until Sunday.

ETA: Never mind, Google is my friend.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I didn't Google it, but I figured it was because you have to have at least one minor league level playing right up until the MLB playoffs so there are players ready to supplement the major league squads in case of late season injuries. Wouldn't want to have the 40 man roster players who aren't on the big club's 26 man roster sitting around on their couches when someone breaks their hand punching a wall.

Figured, even though you found the answer you were looking for it would be worthwhile to have it shared in case others are wondering the same thing.

I've been a baseball fan for a looong time now, and I feel dumb for asking, but does the AAA season always last this long? I thought they were done with regular season games by now. Is this a 2021 thing? I see they have games up until Sunday.

ETA: Never mind, Google is my friend.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I didn't Google it, but I figured it was because you have to have at least one minor league level playing right up until the MLB playoffs so there are players ready to supplement the major league squads in case of late season injuries. Wouldn't want to have the 40 man roster players who aren't on the big club's 26 man roster sitting around on their couches when someone breaks their hand punching a wall.

Figured, even though you found the answer you were looking for it would be worthwhile to have it shared in case others are wondering the same thing.

there's a thread on this very subject.

He could make everyone forget how bad he's been with like one good week. The magic of October.

Honestly I don't think people really care what he does or doesn't this week. I am going to guess he doesn't really have a chance at the postseason roster without an injury happening.

If he came up and looked good even for 3 games, like actually good, I would have an awfully hard time leaving him off the roster on this offense.

I mean the only person you could really boot is JBJ, which I am sure many would have no problem booting.

That being said not getting added until after we clinch and are playing exhibition games (at least from our view) pretty much sums up his chances.

That being said not getting added until after we clinch and are playing exhibition games (at least from our view) pretty much sums up his chances.

Bingo. Having Hiura to play at first and second base opens up various permutations of infielders so the regulars can all get some rest over the remaining meaningless contests on their schedule.

It doesn't really have to be over JBJ though, the Brewers can somewhat thin their bullpen. Do you need a guy like Sanchez or Rea on the roster? They wouldn't pitch if the game was close and if you need mop up innings you'll have somebody like Houser or Suter available.

It doesn't really have to be over JBJ though, the Brewers can somewhat thin their bullpen. Do you need a guy like Sanchez or Rea on the roster? They wouldn't pitch if the game was close and if you need mop up innings you'll have somebody like Houser or Suter available.

Yup. With Williams injury Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Lauer, Houser, Suter, Ashby, Strickland, Cousins, Boxberger and Hader are the only guys I really trust to get outs. That's eleven.

On the position player side you've got Omar, Manny, Rowdy, Vogelbach, Escobar, Wong, Adames, Urias, Peterson, Yelich, Cain, Garcia and Taylor as the locks. That's thirteen.

So two spots left for some combination of JBJ, Hiura, Maile, Reyes, Sanchez, Norris or whoever else.

Yup. With Williams injury Burnes, Woodruff, Peralta, Lauer, Houser, Suter, Ashby, Strickland, Cousins, Boxberger and Hader are the only guys I really trust to get outs. That's eleven.

On the position player side you've got Omar, Manny, Rowdy, Vogelbach, Escobar, Wong, Adames, Urias, Peterson, Yelich, Cain, Garcia and Taylor as the locks. That's thirteen.

So two spots left for some combination of JBJ, Hiura, Maile, Reyes, Sanchez, Norris or whoever else.

I'm not counting on it but it wouldn't shock me to see Anderson on the roster. Could be an innings eater in a game they fall behind big. Not an exciting role but one that can help save better arms for a more winnable game.

ETA: I doubt they go with less than 12 pitchers so there's definitely a spot for one more. And I think they feel more comfortable with Anderson than either of Sanchez or Norris.

Agreed. I don't see Maile making it as he would be able to be added afterwards should an injury to Narv or Pina occur. JBJ is probably on for defense so that leaves one spot probably between Hiura, Reyes, or Norris.

Given extra innings no longer have the runner on second, I would probably go with Hiura if he shows signs of life this weekend over Reyes, whose biggest value add is from his baserunning. Even with Hiura's struggles, he could still change the game in a pinch hitting role and I like the upside there better than Reyes.

Picture this, Houser getting pinch hit for after going through the lineup twice, so they send Keston up there not wanting to burn one of the bigger bats early and without much cooking on the bases. Hiura puts a good swing on the ball and knocks one out to give the Brewers an early lead - Ashby comes in to bridge to Hader and the Brewers dance into the NLCS. Man would that change some perception of Hiura this season. :)

I agree. I think the posters above are right, the odds are very low, if even on the map as a possibility. Let's say he goes 7/10 this weekend with two dingers. If you're in control, would you leave him off the roster?

And as historically awful JBJ has been at the plate, I just don't think you can leave him off a postseason roster. He is just too good defensively.