Brewer Fanatic

keston hiura optioned

I expect Hiura to be much better. I also think he could be back up this year with expanded rosters… or even before when we’ll see more left handed pitchers (not that he can hit them…yet) over a 7 to 10 game stretch.

Too much talent with past MLB success and current AAA success to think he is done. Don’t sell low.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect Hiura to be much better. I also think he could be back up this year with expanded rosters… or even before when we’ll see more left handed pitchers (not that he can hit them…yet) over a 7 to 10 game stretch.

Too much talent with past MLB success and current AAA success to think he is done. Don’t sell low.

Let's all wake up and look at things for what they are. He's proven to be a defensive liability with "maybe" at best hit/power tools. Please define "sell low" with that in mind.

Let's all wake up and look at things for what they are. He's proven to be a defensive liability with "maybe" at best hit/power tools. Please define "sell low" with that in mind.

I know it's a different era and front office, but we had the worst 1b and 2b in MLB playing side-by-side in the 00's. Liability is a loose word at 2b when we had to suffer through Rickie Weeks for so long. Scooter was only better because it's hard to be worse than Weeks. Smart money says Hiura goes to AAA next year and has to regain his value at 1b, 2b, DH, or wherever. He's not the first hitter to burst onto the scene and then struggle. Carlos Delgado went from leading the league in homers in April to being sent down. Fernando Tatis? Carlos Gomez?

Or how about people that didn't burst on the scene, but struggled mightily before becoming great? Jose Bautista was downright awful. Jose Guillen bad as well. Alex Rodriguez.

Every career doesn't follow the same developmental curve. I wish they'd all be like Braun or Fielder, but that's extremely rare.

Hiura has one more minor league option remaining, so there’s no reason to trade him this offseason or during the 2022 season.

Further, there’s no reason to waste anymore service time having him on the roster in 2021, he’s played his way off the major league team 3 times this year. They should have him finish the AAA season and report to their Arizona complex to start remodeling his swing to eliminate the double toe tap

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still think they'll be able to move him for something to an AL team. My hope is that they can do a swap of 'shine is gone' former top prospects. My dream would be that the Angels have soured on Jo Adell or something like that...

But yes, I'm increasingly convinced that if Hiura does become a MLB hitter, it won't be for the Brewers.

I still think they'll be able to move him for something to an AL team. My hope is that they can do a swap of 'shine is gone' former top prospects. My dream would be that the Angels have soured on Jo Adell or something like that...

Unfortunately the Angels have not soured on Adell.

I think you have the right idea and maybe the right division. Laureano was hit with a PED suspension so the A's may have soured on him he would be someone I could see Stearns going after. Another possibility would be Cavan Biggio in Toronto.

It was one thing when he was doing this against MLB pitching but striking out at such an absurd rate against AAA pitching is about as troubling as it gets.

There isn't much left to do with Hiura at this point other than give him a fresh start next year in AAA and hope for better results. If there's something they think they can do with him in the offseason to fix things, the time is now.

If he's still showing the same results next season, his career may be on life support by that point.

Mind blowing on Hiuria. I think at this point you just need to shut Hiura down. He's just embarrassing himself.

Send him to Arizona to work on his swing. Let him report to ST next year and go from there.

Gotta think he is 100% mentally shot. Either that, or he has an undiagnosed vision issue(I would hope the Brewers have checked that).

Keston Hiura is a guy who can't play the field and at this point is miles away from figuring out how to even be average. So many questions surrounding a DH.

Going to be pretty hard finding a trade partner. Not sure why the Blue Jays would ever consider trading Biggio for him.

Just hard to fathom this was a .938 OPS rookie in a not small sample size two years ago. Perhaps another client for Burnes' sports psychologist. Hard to compare pitchers and hitters, but Burnes also pitched himself out of the rotation, bullpen, and AAA and into the lab two years ago.

Maybe it's possible that the stuff with his mom's health is having far more of an effect than they're letting on?

I think that is definitely a factor, although not the only issue. If I'm not mistaken her cancer diagnosis happened in early 2021, which means Hiura's poor showing in the COVID-shortened 2020 season occurred prior to it. I think another problem is that Hiura's strengths as a low ball hitter don't have a chance to show when everyone across baseball is moving towards pitching up in the zone consistently - particularly with velocity.

Even during Hiura's awesome 2019 season (raked at the MLB level and even moreso in AAA), he struck out at a pretty high rate and seemed to struggle with pitches up in the zone and velocity. However, he demolished baseballs when they were located in his happy zones. Now he's fouling off or making very inconsistent contact with those same pitches and it's giving pitchers more opportunity to attack the swing and miss holes in his swing without paying for missing those spots. Hiura has always had a very pronounced leg kick/load mechanism to his swing that even being a fraction off is trouble for timing and making solid contact. On top of that his swing path doesn't match up well with where he seems to set his hands at the start of his swing - his hands aren't high or low, but they are sort of in between. That's ok for a level swing, but his uppercut swing plane starting with hands just above the shoulders basically forces him to have a loop in his swing right at the waist - he'll almost always not be able to reach elevated pitches above his belt, and swing around most of the waist-high stuff that leads to plenty of swing and miss or poor contact on pitches that should be meatballs.

IMO, Hiura needs to quiet down his leg kick/timing mechanism to limit how perfect is timing needs to be in order to hit a baseball. He also needs to either start his swing with his hands lower to eliminate the loop in a uppercut swing path so he can reach middle-high pitches, or he needs to start his hands higher and eliminate the launch angle swing path and take a much more direct approach to the ball. He's got enough hand speed in his swing that sacrificing a little power to dramatically increase his contact rate and line drive percentage would still make him a very good offensive player.

He's a mess at the plate right now, both mentally and physically....but the talent is still there. Really hope he gives himself some time away from the batting cage after his 2021 season ends so he can come back fresh and hopefully start from square one without any bad habit artifacts from what he's doing right now at the plate in game situations.

Maybe it's possible that the stuff with his mom's health is having far more of an effect than they're letting on?

I think that is definitely a factor, although not the only issue. If I'm not mistaken her cancer diagnosis happened in early 2021, which means Hiura's poor showing in the COVID-shortened 2020 season occurred prior to it.

Good point. Though, as we saw with a bunch of the Brewers roster, it's possible that the COVID season was just its own monster for a lot of players, and it's plausible though unlikely that they are/were two separate events.

• 5 weeks later...

From tracking box scores, it seems like Keston has been hitting pretty well the last week +.....callup most likely to get him some ABs while guys who will be on the playoff roster get some rest, and probably also a mental pick-me-up to finish the regular season with the MLB club.

Still rooting for this guy!