Brewer Fanatic

keston hiura optioned

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Nottingham get some time at 1B once Pina returns? Sounds like Pina and Narvaez will be minimum 10 days on the IL and I don't think they want to lose him again.

possibly. i don't see the brewers carrying 14 pitchers with three days off during the next 11 after this roadtrip ends, so you could see three catchers on the active roster.

pina is expected to return after the minimum 10 days. narvaez may need a few more than the minimum.

Verified Member
If Nottingham's bat got him DFA'd at catcher why would they play him at 1b?

Have you seen what we have been trotting out at 1B and the numbers they are giving us?

The Sheriff can't be any worse...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If Nottingham's bat got him DFA'd at catcher why would they play him at 1b?

Because they had Pina and Narvaez. Wouldn't be a horrible thing to have the right handed side of the 1B platoon covered with a third catcher.

Feel bad for Keston, such a humble dude when talking to fans...but jeez, at some point you gotta start hitting like you played baseball before.

Let's hope a stint in the minors will fix whatever issues Keston is having at the plate.

Verified Member
Lack of options?

Every guy who started offensively yesterday was a better option at clean-up than Keston.

Keston is the worst hitter on the team, is completely lost at the plate and has been all season, yet our manager hits him #4?

lol

It's comically funny.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Lack of options?

Every guy who started offensively yesterday was a better option at clean-up than Keston.

Keston is the worst hitter on the team, is completely lost at the plate and has been all season, yet our manager hits him #4?

lol

It's comically funny.

Do or Die Ryon Healy says hi!

Not really a surprise considering how he was hitting. If the plan was to send him down today, why did Counsell bat him in cleanup yesterday.. For how bad he has hit all year, you would think he would be donw further in the lineup

I was worried they wouldn’t send him down because Counsell kept doing that. Turns out it was just for some illogical reason that Keston was batting in the meat of the order.

The Brewers have to be extremely concerned with Hiura's swing-and-miss rate on pitches within the strike zone. Last year Hiura only made contact on 67.9% of his swings on pitches within the strike zone, which was the worst percentage among qualifiers. This year the number has dropped to 58.1%, by far the worst percentage for players with at least 80 plate appearances (next worst is Joey Gallo at 64.7%).

I don't know the correlation between future MLB success and swing-and-miss statistics on pitches within the strike zone. But it seems like over the last few years, whenever I read a quote from a scout that doubted Corey Ray's future, the swing-and-miss at strikes factor was always the first thing that has been mentioned. May be hard to fix that "hole in the bat."

Pretty amazing how Hiura has spiraled down after getting off to such a great start in 2019. So strange that he was tearing it up, and the Brewers did subtract offense at the time by playing the Super Two game with him...now fast forward two years and Hiura is heading back to MiLB anyway.

It's hard to know exactly what's best for a young "top prospect," but I think that if anything the Brewers are guilty of giving too much "leash" to their top prospects. Players are always learning, and most guys don't hit the ground running. It's common to have growing pains, and there is nothing wrong with sending young guys back to the minors to figure things out. Once he's figured things out, he can come back up as a better player. Keeping a young player in the majors just because they are/were a heralded prospect and were named the "starter" can be worse for a player's long-term career than simply letting him work things out in the minors.

This isn't a permanent move. Hopefully Keston can get some pressure-free time in the minors and come back as the player we all know he can be.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Brewers have to be extremely concerned with Hiura's swing-and-miss rate on pitches within the strike zone. Last year Hiura only made contact on 67.9% of his swings on pitches within the strike zone, which was the worst percentage among qualifiers. This year the number has dropped to 58.1%, by far the worst percentage for players with at least 80 plate appearances (next worst is Joey Gallo at 64.7%).

I don't know the correlation between future MLB success and swing-and-miss statistics on pitches within the strike zone. But it seems like over the last few years, whenever I read a quote from a scout that doubted Corey Ray's future, the swing-and-miss at strikes factor was always the first thing that has been mentioned. May be hard to fix that "hole in the bat."

Pretty amazing how Hiura has spiraled down after getting off to such a great start in 2019. So strange that he was tearing it up, and the Brewers did subtract offense at the time by playing the Super Two game with him...now fast forward two years and Hiura is heading back to MiLB anyway.

His 2019 numbers do show a lot of luck involved (i.e. high BABIP), but part of that was being able center on so many balls. I expected him to regress some, but going to the point of unable to touch a ball with the bat is a stunning turnaround. I wonder if he has any vision issues that are being ignored?

It seems pretty clear cut. Either he figures out his timing with that rather large front foot step or ditches it all-together. My guess is it will be the latter but that's going to take some significant time in Nashville. He didn't forget how or lose the ability to hit to certain pitches, it's all still there. He's simply vulnerable to massive ups and downs given the size of that timing step.

Community Moderator

Keston reminds me a bit of Rickie Weeks and I worry that like Rickie, Keston will never truly live up to the hype. I think back to how much Rickie frustrated the fanbase in his age 24-25 seasons, right when everyone was expecting him to be a perennial all-star. Although looking back at the numbers we would gladly take Rickie Weeks at 1B right now.

Agreed that Keston may have to ditch his weird timing routine.

I think what hurts most about Hiura's struggles right now is that his bat was the only reason drafting him made sense. He was nearly destined to be a DH right from the start, drafted by a NL team and there were probably more than a few opportunities to trade him when his value was sky high for pieces that made a lot more sense for this team. They gambled on his bat and right now that gamble is looking pretty bad. It's way too early to give up hope on him but it's really discouraging that this is happening right now,
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21