Brewer Fanatic

brewers player(s) traded for twice

how unique was the recent trade for jacob nottingham?

they traded khris davis in 2016 to acquire nottingham and bubba derby.

and they just traded cash to seattle to acquire nottingham a second time.

have the brewers ever acquired the same player more than once via a trade each time?

i can't readily think of anyone.

i thought that the third (yes, third) stint for gorman thomas with the brewers might qualify, but the brewers signed him as a free agent in 1986.

although technically, you could say that bud selig and his investors traded a whole bunch of money to acquire every player in the seattle pilots organization, including thomas. then the brewers traded thomas to texas, and then texas traded him back for cash in the 1977-1978 offseason.

Community Moderator
Felipe Lopez was traded for twice. 2009 and 2011. 2011 was similar to Nottingham in that the Brewers just gave up cash.

Was just going to mention that one! That’s the only other instance I remember.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Wait, Claudio Vargas! Traded for twice AND signed as a free agent twice...

November 25, 2006: Traded by the Arizona Diamondbacks with Greg Aquino and Johnny Estrada to the Milwaukee Brewers for Doug Davis, Dana Eveland and Dave Krynzel.

July 31, 2009: Traded by the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Milwaukee Brewers for Vinny Rottino.

December 14, 2009: Signed as a Free Agent with the Milwaukee Brewers.

May 16, 2012: Signed as a Free Agent with the Milwaukee Brewers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The first time I recall a similar situation with the Milwaukee Brewers was Jim Slaton in 1978. Originally drafted by the Seatle Pilots he hit the ground running in 1971 as a promising starting pitcher with a 10-8 record. In 1977 he was traded to Detroit for Ben Oglivie during the winter meetings. He won 17 games for Tigers in 1978 and became a free agent after the season. He signed with the Brewers and won 15 games the next year. Jim was one of the first modern swingmen as he became a relief pitcher in 1981 and made several spot starts in 1982 when Pete Vukovich was injured. He won game 4 of the 1982 World Series and pitched in one other game.

Alex Ochoa was the one that instantly jumped into my head.

In 2000 the Brewers traded Alex Ochoa to the Reds for Mark Sweeney and a PTBNL.

Two years and seven days later the Brewers were part of a three team deal. They sent Mark Sweeney (along with Burnitz, Collier, and D'Amico) to the Mets to get Lenny Harris and Glendon Rusch. Colorado sent us Ochoa as part of the deal. So the Brewers traded him away and later traded what we got to get him back.

The Brewers remembered why we traded him in the first place. At the trade deadline we traded Ochoa for a PTBNL (Jorge Fabregas).

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

They traded my sanity for Yuniesky Betancourt twice.

[sarcasm]How dare you take the greatest baseball players name in vain![/sarcasm]

Yuni B was a GOD tier baseball superstar!!!!!!

[sarcasm]How dare you take the greatest baseball players name in vain![/sarcasm]

My friends and I had turned his name into a verb back in those days. "You really YuniB'd that one" for anytime someone should've been paying attention to something and completely failed.

This was usually things like backing into something, burning food, or spilling a beer.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

My friends and I had turned his name into a verb back in those days. "You really YuniB'd that one" for anytime someone should've been paying attention to something and completely failed.

This was usually things like backing into something, burning food, or spilling a beer.

I might have to steal that with my Brewer....friend

Community Moderator
Alex Ochoa was the one that instantly jumped into my head.

In 2000 the Brewers traded Alex Ochoa to the Reds for Mark Sweeney and a PTBNL.

Two years and seven days later the Brewers were part of a three team deal. They sent Mark Sweeney (along with Burnitz, Collier, and D'Amico) to the Mets to get Lenny Harris and Glendon Rusch. Colorado sent us Ochoa as part of the deal. So the Brewers traded him away and later traded what we got to get him back.

The Brewers remembered why we traded him in the first place. At the trade deadline we traded Ochoa for a PTBNL (Jorge Fabregas).

This post served as a nice reminder of how truly depressing it would be to go back and look at the transaction logs of the last few years of the Selig-Prieb era and see the crappy/washed up talent they were shuffling around and trying to pass off as solid Major League-level talent back then. Lenny Harris? Yeeeeech.

I know Ochoa wasn't an All Star or anything after being traded by the Brewers but he had a real nice 1999 with the Brewers going 300/404/466 and followed that up with 316/378/586 for the Reds. Makes me wonder why they would trade that kind of production for Mark Sweeney.

I know Ochoa wasn't an All Star or anything after being traded by the Brewers but he had a real nice 1999 with the Brewers going 300/404/466 and followed that up with 316/378/586 for the Reds. Makes me wonder why they would trade that kind of production for Mark Sweeney.

Because of cash, sadly. Ochoa made $245,000 with the Brewers in 1999. He was due a huge raise in 2000 through arbitration (ultimately made $862,000 with the Reds in ‘00) so they traded him off for the Sween-Dog who was under contract for $500,000

Archived