Brewer Fanatic

2021-05-02: Dodgers (Urías) at Brewers (Bettinger) [Brewers lose, 16-4 -- Nottingham hits a pair of home runs]

Eye Black

I get that this lineup is more like a spring training split squad one, but I don't understand why Hiura would bat cleanup. He has never in his career hit lefties well. A .357 slugging percentage and .671 OPS. They act like he is better against lefties and he certainly isn't.

At least I get to hear Bill say how when he's going right that's a pitch he can handle when he swings through yet another meatball down the middle of the plate.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that due to the IR situation, Hiura pretty much almost has to be playing. That being said, if he's in the lineup, he certainly doesn't have to be hitting two, three, or four.

I wouldn't mind seeing McKinney getting a few games at first base.

Hiura is terrible, dude should be 8th...stop trying to sugar coat it a Counsell. He should be lucky to even be on the MLB roster at this point. The worst part of this means he is probably really unlikely to see AAA any time soon. You don’t go from hitting fourth, to optioned...

Happy Sunday to you too!

I don't want Hiura cleanup either but the other options are ... who? JBJ? Pablos Reyes? Nottingham? I guess Urias maybe? Looking at who is available and how they've performed and it's kind of a lose lose for CC with the lineup card.

Agree with this take…….I also don’t think this rules out Hiura getting optioned.

Problem is they need to find a right handed hitting first base option….maybe it will be Nottingham …..who knows?

Hiura has been awful but is it really worth being that upset about him hitting 4th? The difference between batting 4th or 7th during 1 game is maybe 1 AB and having guys on or not is literally just chance. Even with how bad he has been, I’ll still take my chances with Hiura than I would with somebody like Pablo Reyes...and if its a big late game moment, Shaw and Vogelbach are on the bench and I’m sure Counsell wouldn’t hesitate to use one.

I'd like to see McKinney take over as the regular 1B against righties once Cain and Yelich are back with Hiura being optioned. But I have no idea who can play there when facing a lefty.

Braun

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'd like to see McKinney take over as the regular 1B against righties once Cain and Yelich are back with Hiura being optioned. But I have no idea who can play there when facing a lefty.

That is the 64 million dollar question…….my bet is Stearns is searching everywhere for an affordable(in trade capital) option that might be available.

Verified Member
If we somehow win this game it has to be one of the most unlikely/ incredible 4 game sweeps in franchise history.

Look at our lineup!

Is it possible to start a game with a negative Win Expectancy?

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I like the game threads for information. Lineups, injuries, call-ups, explanations of weird calls on the field. Also, I travel extensively for work, and like this weekend, I often watch in hotel rooms. It's nice to "watch" the games with other people. So I keep coming back, but man, don't some of you get tired of predicting negative outcomes constantly? You must watch the games in fear of something bad happening all the time. I don't get it. Full disclosure: I thought that Jaime Cocanower was going to be an ace, so I am perhaps more optimistic than most.

Can someone give scouting report on Bettinger?

Ranked Milwaukee Brewers #21 prospect in 2021

TRACK RECORD: Bettinger split between starting and relieving at Virginia before pitching exclusively out of the bullpen as a senior. The Brewers drafted him in the 10th round, signed him for $10,000 and developed him as a starter. Bettinger ranked second in the Double-A Southern League in strikeouts in 2019 and spent 2020 at the alternate training site. The Brewers added him to their 40-man roster after the season.

SCOUTING REPORT: Bettinger doesn't have a plus pitch, but he throws strikes, is durable and has a feel for pitching that has yielded better results than his stuff would suggest. There's some funk and deception in his release, which gives him a little more margin with a fastball that sits 89-93 mph with occasional cutting action and can scrape 94-95 mph. The pitch has good vertical movement, helping him miss bats when he elevates. Bettinger's best secondary pitch is his changeup, which is a solid-average pitch with good sink and fade when it's on. He mixes in a curveball that has been effective against minor leaguers, though it's typically a fringy pitch which might not get major league hitters to bite.

THE FUTURE: Bettinger faces questions about whether his stuff will work against major league hitters. He should open 2021 in Triple-A and is in position to make his debut if he pitches well.

Braun

It's pretty amazing just how much playing time we would have for Braun when we didn't really have anywhere for him to play when the season started. And Nottingham is back i the lineup? Alright!

I don't want Hiura cleanup either but the other options are ... who? JBJ? Pablos Reyes? Nottingham? I guess Urias maybe? Looking at who is available and how they've performed and it's kind of a lose lose for CC with the lineup card.

If I had to order the nine for today, I think I'd go:

1. Kolten Wong 2B

2. Luis Urias SS

3. Tyrone Taylor LF

4. Avisail Garcia RF

5. Jackie Bradley CF

6. Jacob Nottingham C

7. Keston Hiura 1B

8. Pablo Reyes 3B

9. Alec Bettinger P

Nottingham can play 1B. It's a sorry state, but that's the norm for our 1B situation.

Nottingham can play 1B. It's a sorry state, but that's the norm for our 1B situation.

Something has to be done. I didn't have any faith in Hiura when the season started and obviously he has done nothing to get me to change my mind. I just wish, as did many others, we had signed Cron and didn't bother to bring Vogelbach back. Maybe Cron wouldn't have signed figuring he'd be the backup but seemingly his options were pretty limited so maybe it wouldn't have been an issue.

Time to spend the day outside.

I said I wouldn’t be upset if they got blown out today, and I’m not. Throw the sacrificial lambs out there and get ready for the road trip.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived