Brewer Fanatic

justin topa transferred to 60-day injured list

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any update here? I loved Topa last year and hearing good things might soften the blow of losing a bunch of our BP depth today...

Yep, though not an encouraging one:

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

David Stearns mentioned Brad Boxberger, Brent Suter and Eric Yardley (when he's back from a shoulder injury) as relievers they will count on ahead of Williams & Hader. Justin Topa is still multiple months from being a Major League option, Stearns said.

6:17 PM · May 21, 2021

• 5 weeks later...
Well it has been basically a month since they said months away. Bullpens start pretty light so he is still probably on a trajectory of August to be on the MLB squad. Figure he does bullpens for awhile and then has a pretty lengthy rehab assignment. Being a bullpen arm maybe we could see him sooner than that...but I doubt they rush him and I am guessing we acquire a pitcher(s) late July to make it even less urgent. Trading for an arm and then banking on a decent Topa return might be a route for Stearns to go.

• 4 weeks later...

RHP Justin Topa will begin a rehab assignment with ACL Brewers Blue tonight.

This is fantastic news. Getting Topa back could really give a boost to the pen.

I must have Topa forgetfulness. What exactly makes us get all jazzed about Topa? Was there something other than his 7+ innings from last year? I don't pay much attention to spring training. Did he look otherworldly or something? Wondering what I am missing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I must have Topa forgetfulness. What exactly makes us get all jazzed about Topa? Was there something other than his 7+ innings from last year? I don't pay much attention to spring training. Did he look otherworldly or something? Wondering what I am missing.

He throws in the high 90s to touching triple digits, and has terrific minor league numbers. Classic late bloomer. He looked very good in his limited action as a Brewer last year.

Nasty Stuff + Plucked Out Of The Indy Leagues = Instant Folk Hero.

97.5 MPH sinker with 18" horizontal / 25" vertical movement vs league average of 15" horizontal / 22" vertical movement.

83.3 MPH slider with 16" horizontal / 37" vertical movement vs league average of 6" horizontal / 37" vertical movement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 games thus far at all stops on his minor league rehab assignment. nine innings, with nine strikeouts, a 2.00 era and a whip of 1.00.

Just a guess but I'm thinking Topa up and Curtiss to the IL.

I'm kinda surprised they have subjected us to the Sal Romano era, let alone John Axford, Part Deux, rather than simply bring Topa back up. How much of a rehab assignment does a guy like that need?

10 games thus far at all stops on his minor league rehab assignment. nine innings, with nine strikeouts, a 2.00 era and a whip of 1.00.

I'm kinda surprised they have subjected us to the Sal Romano era, let alone John Axford, Part Deux, rather than simply bring Topa back up. How much of a rehab assignment does a guy like that need?

I think it was just the Brewers giving themselves the most chances to catch lightning in the bottle. They know they have Topa in the queue.

Definitely excited to see Topa up here. Although, if Topa takes Curtiss's spot that means Perdomo is still on the roster. That guy just doesn't have it.

Can someone explain to me why we have never seen Luke Barker get a shot? He has consistently put up great numbers and rarely walks guys. What am I missing?

Definitely excited to see Topa up here. Although, if Topa takes Curtiss's spot that means Perdomo is still on the roster. That guy just doesn't have it.

Can someone explain to me why we have never seen Luke Barker get a shot? He has consistently put up great numbers and rarely walks guys. What am I missing?

Good question. I assume it is a lack of velocity/high K stuff. Barker maxes out in the low 90s, which is sort of an outlier compared to the rest of the team's pen arms, sans Suter. In any case, given that they have passed on Barker for the likes of Romano and Axford, I doubt they feel that he is a legit MLB arm.

Every time i mentally put together the Brewers optimal bullpen, i keep forgetting about topa. honestly the depth is good to the point that we can afford an injury to one or two of the non-essential(not burnes/woodruff/peralta/hader/williams) top 14 arms or so and not really miss a beat as far as the post season roster.

Is it the need for rehab, the fact that he's thrown 16 innings since 2019 or the fact that he's got about a dozen career innings above AA? Lots of potential reasons he's not up right now.