Brewer Fanatic

Bettinger to make ML debut

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Per Tom H.

Tom

@Haudricourt

Beyond recalling LHP Eric Lauer to start against Dodgers tonight, I hear #Brewers will recall RHP Alec Bettinger, who is on 40-man roster. It would be his MLB debut. Had slight setback in spring camp with elbow and didn't pitch in exhibition season but has been at alternate site.

Could always be another injury with the Brewers luck this year but if not an injury then Yardley/Weigel appear to be the likely choice of being optioned after pitching multiple innings.

I think this is likely. I would be more than happy to see Yardley go down again, but I am 99.9% sure it will be Weigel ... even though Weigel is the MUCH more intriguing option of the two.

PLEASE send Yardley down and not Weigel. I know we haven't seen enough of Weigel yet to really form an opinion yet, but I feel like he at least deserves some more chances after looking pretty solid in his debut with us yesterday. Yardley has been hot garbage since the start of ST this year.

Reminder that back in February when the ZiPS spit out a “top 100 prospects” based on projections it had Alec Bettinger ranked #49. Here’s a link to that article, ZiPS 2021 Top 100 Prospects

Bettinger seems like a bit of a wild card for the Brewers organization. He’ll turn 26 years old this July, and in his last full season of professional baseball (2019 at Double-A) he threw 146.1 IP with a 1.066 WHIP, 9.66 K/9, and 3.01 xFIP. I think there’s still a chance he could prove a solid back of the rotation starter. It also seems he’d offer more value as a potential [spot] starter than a role coming out of the bullpen.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Given how data driven the Brewers have been under Stearns & company, Alec coming in so high on the ZiPS list is a pretty good indication that they likely value him more highly than the consensus.

I had him at #5 on my BF.net Top 25 ballot based on the excellent age appropriate results (9.7 K9 vs 2.2 BB9) at Biloxi in 2019 & the likelihood he'd see MLB in 2021.

He ended up coming in at #20, but hopefully he can follow up Grisham (#18 pre-2019) & Williams (#16 pre-2020) as guys who greatly over performed their BF.net pre-season prospect status.

Here's FanGraphs scouting report heading into 2020...

A senior sign reliever coming out of Virginia, Bettinger experienced a velo bump in his second pro season and also developed better movement separation between his curveball and slider, which has enabled both of them to play better. He still only sits 89-92 but he gets way, way down the mound and generates about seven feet of extension, causing his heater the jump on hitters and create flatter approach angle. His fastball is also spin-efficient and has plus vertical movement. He’s gone from elder org-filler to back of the rotation prospect in half a season.

Gotta figure Sobotka gets called up for tomorrow's game...

you didn't predict the corresponding roster move, but assuming that it's optioning bettinger, he would have to remain on optional assignment for 10 days . . . and there would be no other pitcher on the 40-man eligible for recall.

the brewers still have seven more games to play before a day off . . . so someone needs to take burnes' spot again friday. if not bettinger, who?

you didn't predict the corresponding roster move, but assuming that it's optioning bettinger, he would have to remain on optional assignment for 10 days . . . and there would be no other pitcher on the 40-man eligible for recall.

the brewers still have seven more games to play before a day off . . . so someone needs to take burnes' spot again friday. if not bettinger, who?

Zimmermann, Weigel, or a bullpen day (Suter, Rasmussen et. al.)

Gonna be a bunch of moves this week with Cain and Yelich coming off the IL.

Zimmermann, Weigel, or a bullpen day (Suter, Rasmussen et. al.)

Gonna be a bunch of moves this week with Cain and Yelich coming off the IL.

Lindblom could also come off the Phantom IL as soon as Tuesday. Not an exciting option, though perhaps he found something in the bullpen sessions to make him borderline passable.

Waive Zimmermann and add Ashby or Small both of whom are more highly regarded than Bettinger.

Like the Brewers will go another 5 days without somebody else hitting the IL.

Other than giving up a lot of hits and runs and whatnot, I thought he did fine.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

my gut is saying alec bettinger is staying through at least friday, and may be stashed on the roster to pitch again on friday. the brewers expect at least one more rehab appearance for josh lindblom, so bettinger isn't going to be optioned to activate him anytime soon.

Archived