Brewer Fanatic

Umpire explanation of call

markedman5

The ump should have just come forward and said it looked like interference live, but when I see it on tape, I screwed up.

That would go a long way in rectifying the situation.

To double down on it though makes him look like a fool.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ump should have just come forward and said it looked like interference live, but when I see it on tape, I screwed up.

That would go a long way in rectifying the situation.

To double down on it though makes him look like a fool.

What needs to be rectified? It really wasn't that costly in the grand scheme. It didn't cost us a trip to the World Series and he didn't blow the final out call of a perfect game.

By the end of the season this won't even rank Top 100 of costly calls against us.

I really find this part in his third answer to be quite interesting. “The footlane has nothing to do with this play. That’s only a throw being taken by the first baseman from the catcher or the pitcher”.

Essentially, he’s saying the footlane doesn’t matter on most plays, but does on plays when the throw is coming from the pitcher or catcher. Godley was the pitcher making a play and throwing it to the first baseman.

Anyway, he fielded the ball about 3 feet into the grass, took a couple steps towards first base basically running parallel to the first base line, tossed it underhand, and started veering off to the left back into fair territory.

This is such an obvious botched call. Even the umpire in his response is contradicting himself and basically explained how it shouldn’t be interference on Godley.

Godley is entitled to making a play in fair territory without a player running into him.

What a joke.

What is Godley supposed to do? He had his back to the runner and was not standing in the baseline. He supposed to assume the runner is well inside the baseline? The runner wasn't close to him when he tossed the ball. Diaz initiated this intentionally. He didn't need to veer when he got close to Godley. There were 3-4 steps from the time Godley let go of the ball for Diaz to actually start running toward the the base.

I guess the moral of the story is . . . if you're a pitcher fielding a dribbler up the line, don't bother throwing to first. You're better off just tagging the batter-runner out yourself.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If you thought this call was bad it has quickly been outdone:

They called him out of the baseline even though he ran a literal straight line between bases and could have deviated 3 feet...he deviated zero inches. It isn’t reviewable as it is a “judgement” call. To make matters worse they also blew the call at first that needed replay to correct.

I guess teams now need to carry a >90 ft tape measure and 2 yard sticks to show an umpire how his decision isn't possible based on the rules. Run the tape measure from 1st to second and put a yard stick on either side. McCutchen would have had to be on the infield grass to be 3 feet off a straight line. HE NEVER TOUCHED THE GRASS...

They called him out of the baseline even though he ran a literal straight line between bases and could have deviated 3 feet...he deviated zero inches. It isn’t reviewable as it is a “judgement” call. To make matters worse they also blew the call at first that needed replay to correct.

These umps are literally making up stuff as they go. There’s not even words to say anymore for things. It’s sad to see umps trying to take over games like this and seemingly deliberately making incorrect calls. These calls recently don’t even make sense.

You basically can’t even play the game of baseball anymore because running from first to second base isn’t allowed :laughing

These umps are literally making up stuff as they go. There’s not even words to say anymore for things. It’s sad to see umps trying to take over games like this and seemingly deliberately making incorrect calls. These calls recently don’t even make sense.

You basically can’t even play the game of baseball anymore because running from first to second base isn’t allowed :laughing

Annoys me when the umpire just walks away and refuses to look down at the ground and see how wrong he was. Just look down, see where he stepped and change the call.

It was brutal because the evidence was literally right there, no need to even see a video.

Annoys me when the umpire just walks away and refuses to look down at the ground and see how wrong he was. Just look down, see where he stepped and change the call.

It was brutal because the evidence was literally right there, no need to even see a video.

Was there an explanation after the game on this one?

I don’t understand why they are so reluctant to change a call even if he were to check the dirt and see that the runner clearly ran straight to the bag.

Was there an explanation after the game on this one?

I am curious on this too. If he doubled down after seeing the replay, I don’t see how he could keep his job. If that is running outside the base line and he confirms it, I don’t see how the MLB could defend him either. Everybody knows the call was clearly wrong. At least acknowledge the mistake and apologize to the Phillies.

I felt the umpire call/ explanation discussed here was bad but its about to be topped.

Angel 'Missed Call' Hernandez & his crew screwed up big time in KC tonight..

If you can find video of the Salvador Perez strange single/ RBI from the 3rd inning of the CLE/ KC game, watch it.

Then come to your own conclusion.

Edit:

Here is the jomboy review of Angel's bad call...

Community Moderator

Yowzers! That’s pretty bad by the umps, specifically Hernandez.

It’s been a pretty poor start to the year for umps as a whole. At least when they went to review, the guy in New York changed the call (for once.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yowzers! That’s pretty bad by the umps, specifically Hernandez.

It’s been a pretty poor start to the year for umps as a whole. At least when they went to review, the guy in New York changed the call (for once.)

The correction on the JRam call was expected but I am still incredulous over the butchering of the call (non catch, tagging runner out) in the 3rd inning. That never got reviewed/ looked at in NY.

The third base coach kind of messed up there though. If you knew that ball was dropped you should have just had your runner play it out correctly.

That call didn’t need review though. From my understanding from the video they corrected it themselves after talking with each other and had the one run score and the other runner went to third from second. Had the call not been screwed up that is where he would have ended up so in the end there was no harm done. If the above is correct the umps did a good job fixing the situation.

The third base coach kind of messed up there though. If you knew that ball was dropped you should have just had your runner play it out correctly.

That call didn’t need review though. From my understanding from the video they corrected it themselves after talking with each other and had the one run score and the other runner went to third from second. Had the call not been screwed up that is where he would have ended up so in the end there was no harm done. If the above is correct the umps did a good job fixing the situation.

I don't think you can blame the coach. Angel called out. No matter how much you think that was the wrong call you have to play it as the umpire calls it.

I don't think you can blame the coach. Angel called out. No matter how much you think that was the wrong call you have to play it as the umpire calls it.

You certainly don’t have too and players play it out all the time despite a call. I’m not shocked the coach sent him back, but if you really know it was dropped it is better to just go over to third so there is no question where you would have ended up if the call wasn’t botched. Then just let review fix it if need be. By running back towards second you leave it up to umpire judgement that has so often failed the last week.

Watching the video again the runner at 2nd was insanely confused on whether the ball was caught or not himself. He went to run back to tag, turned back to 3rd thinking it was dropped, and then actually thought about going back to 2nd again. He then started to slowly make his way to third. He of course then ran back towards second after his base coach told him to. I don’t think the base runner ever saw Hernandez call it out. I think he was that confused because he also probably lost it in the video board like Hernandez did.

Archived