Brewer Fanatic

Piña to 10-Day IL (Fractured Toe); Maile Recalled

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Going to miss the Pineapple for at least 10 days due to a fractured toe. Foul ball from Monday’s game (April 26) was the cause.

Luke Maile is called up to take Manny’s place.

Rough timing for Nottingham. He likely would have been the one getting the call had he not been DFA'd a few days ago.

Going to miss the Pineapple for at least 10 days due to a fractured toe. Foul ball from Monday’s game (April 26) was the cause.

Luke Maile is called up to take Manny’s place.

Rough timing for Nottingham. He likely would have been the one getting the call had he not been DFA'd a few days ago.

Unfortunate how often that seems to happen with roster moves for players who are on the cusp of taking a major league roster spot. The Narvaez/Piña tandem was the way to go coming out of Spring Training, but it would’ve been nice to see if Nottingham could be a major league catcher at least for several weeks in a normal season.

These are back up catchers, if they preferred Nottingham they could simply have DFA’d Maille and added Nottingham and brought him to the majors.

Nottingham was on the 40-man. The issue is he's out of options. Maile isn't.

Also, I do not believe you can rescind the DFA process once it's begun.

These are back up catchers, if they preferred Nottingham they could simply have DFA’d Maille and added Nottingham and brought him to the majors.

Nottingham was on the 40-man. The issue is he's out of options. Maile isn't.

Also, I do not believe you can rescind the DFA process once it's begun.

Yea I don't believe so.

Right. I realize he was DFA’d because no options.

I meant now, Nottingham obviously cleared waivers or he’d be gone already. He’s literally waiting to be released, or outrighted to AAA. Thus, if they truly wanted him tonight instead of Maille it’s basically just a function of executing paperwork.

Nottingham was DFA'd on the 22nd. So at around noon tomorrow, if not claimed/traded, they could simply get him back to the MLB roster if they really wanted to. That is assuming the 7-day window to claim starts when they get DFA'd and not like the next day. Of course he would then have to be put back on the 40-man roster.

Not sure how long a fractured toe keeps you out, but I am guessing they would rather just keep Nottingham off the 40-man roster at that point so they don't run into the risk of losing him again once Pina gets back.

I meant now, Nottingham obviously cleared waivers or he’d be gone already. He’s literally waiting to be released. This if they truly wanted him tonight instead of Maille it’s basically just a function of executing paperwork.

Within seven days of the transaction, he can either be traded, reassigned (if he clears) or placed on irrevocable outright waivers. This transaction was announced on April 22, so I believe he is still in DFA limbo.

I meant now, Nottingham obviously cleared waivers or he’d be gone already. He’s literally waiting to be released. This if they truly wanted him tonight instead of Maille it’s basically just a function of executing paperwork.

Within seven days of the transaction, he can either be traded, reassigned (if he clears) or placed on irrevocable outright waivers. This transaction was announced on April 22, so I believe he is still in DFA limbo.

You very well could be right, but if nobody claimed him by now and the team wanted him back in the majors, Nottingham is the one losing MLB service time and 40 man roster benefits; which given the strength of the Union leads me to think there’s likely a work around.

I meant now, Nottingham obviously cleared waivers or he’d be gone already. He’s literally waiting to be released, or outrighted to AAA. Thus, if they truly wanted him tonight instead of Maille [sic] it’s basically just a function of executing paperwork.

it's not that simple. nottingham would have had to cleared outright waivers, and then there would have to be a 40-man spot opened for nottingham. the 40-man is at capacity.

You very well could be right, but if nobody claimed him by now and the team wanted him back in the majors, Nottingham is the one losing MLB service time and 40 man roster benefits; which given the strength of the Union leads me to think there’s likely a work around.

It isn't the first team who puts a claim in gets him. Any team who wants have seven days to put a claim in then the one gets him. So we won't know if we get to keep him until after the seven days. Either way it would be silly to bring him back up only to send him down in a week or two. If we did he'd have to go through waivers again. While he's forced to accept the first assignment I think he might also be able to refuse the next assignment and become a free agent. There's nothing he can do but play in the minors now. It makes little to no sense to give him a chance to leave the organization sooner than we have to.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It isn't the first team who puts a claim in gets him. Any team who wants have seven days to put a claim in then the one gets him. So we won't know if we get to keep him until after the seven days. Either way it would be silly to bring him back up only to send him down in a week or two. If we did he'd have to go through waivers again. While he's forced to accept the first assignment I think he might also be able to refuse the next assignment and become a free agent.

incorrect on the first part. it takes 48 hours for a player to clear outright waivers, once he's been placed on outright waivers--which means other teams have 48 hours to put in a claim. the club has seven days to decide if they want to place the player on outright waivers, trade him, or release him.

you are correct in assessing that nottingham would be eligible to refuse any subsequent outright assignment if he happens to clear outright waivers the first time.

incorrect on the first part. it takes 48 hours for a player to clear outright waivers, once he's been placed on outright waivers--which means other teams have 48 hours to put in a claim. the club has seven days to decide if they want to place the player on outright waivers, trade him, or release him.

Which means it could take up to nine days to know if we lost him to a waiver claim. The team can take seven days to place him on waivers then two more to see if he clears it. Or am I missing something?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

my understanding is that the player needs to be outrighted by the 7th day, which means that the placement on irrevocable outright waivers must start by the 5th day, in order to allow the player to be potentially clear said waivers and be outrighted by the 7th day.

In other words the team won't know until the seven days are up.

Thanks for the clarification on how it works though. I thought teams had the whole seven days. That was wrong.

not necessarily. they could know sooner. the club has up to seven days to outright, trade or release the dfa'd player. sometimes, they move faster.

My point would be the Brewers likely already know if Nottingham is leaving the organization or not. Hypothetically if they wanted him in the major leagues it would involve moving one of the other players like Bettinger, File, Fisher to the 60 day DL, adding Nottingham back and calling him up.

Maybe the DFA rules are hard and fast to prevent roster manipulation, but as applied to this hypothetical it only harms the player which given the strength of their union and the breadth of their rights in the CBA it is surprising (...as an example of the scope of rights in the CBA, Lucroy was DFA'd off the major league roster in Washington and continued to accrue service time while waiting to be released which those few days resulted in him hitting 10 years of service time and becoming fully vested in the pension plan).

Archived