Brewer Fanatic

Garcia's slump out of nowhere

JohnBriggs12

I think this link will work, it’s his 5 game woba over the past 3 years. Seems like he’s due for 4-5 of these per year, so just gotta give it more time I guess.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/avisail-garcia/5760/graphs?statArr=50&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&ymin=&ymax=&start=2019&end=2021&rtype=mult&gt1=5&dStatArray=

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Facts.

Simply put, he is not a good player.

Average at best, and that is giving him a long leash.

His time as a Brewer has been very vanilla.

You can paint a rosy picture of everything Brewers, but that doesn't make it true.

Some things are just what they are, and any spin you want to put on it doesn't change the facts.

Garcia is not very good, easily replaceable, and we have at least one guy on our roster that deserves his spot in the daily line-up, at least for now.

LOL no, not facts. The .797 was referring to what Garcia's OPS was 8 days ago. You are arguing a completely different point than what the original poster introduced.

Actually, I'm not.

Original poster wanted to know what is going on with Garcia.

Is he hurt?

I'm arguing that he just isn't very good, and his time with the Brewers hasn't been very good, so it's not really a surprise what we are seeing from him.

You can't cherry pick his .797 and say that is the real Garcia, when he is sitting at .619 for the season.

He is a below average guy that we feel the need to play, even though we have Taylor, who is outplaying him, sitting the bench.

Original poster here. Actually I was referring to the .797 OPS he had just a week ago. In general up this then this season he looked fine and was making good hard contact. As I pointed out he had fanned just once in his previous six games. Garcia's never been a extreme strikeout guy but he's whiffed at an alarming rate his last 20 AB's. I asked how seemingly overnight he stopped making contact. Hopefully the slump ends as quickly as it started and he gets 3 hits tonight. Is Taylor's early success putting pressure on Garcia? Hard to believe that would affect a veteran but who knows? I mean it's likely the plan is for Taylor to step into Garcia's role in 2022. Maybe sooner??

What does it hurt to play the hot hand for a while?

Generally speaking, yes, you probably come out behind if you play the hot hand. Mostly because you would be basing that decision off of past short term results and not what you actually expect in the future.

In the case of Garcia/Taylor that might not completely apply because Garcia isn't exactly a guy with a consistent track record of hitting well and we don't really know what Taylor can or cannot do.

I should have made it clear I was referring to this specific instance. I agree in general it's not a great idea. Garcia is what he is. Average. Add in he's probably on his last season here and we need to know what we have in Taylor I don't think it's a bad idea to get him more ab's right now. I'm not suggesting a bench role for Garcia as much as I'm suggesting he's the fourth man in the rotation for a while.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Garcia has over 830 games played in the major leagues and has proven to be a .750 OPS, 102 OPS+ player; about league average maybe a little better. Maybe fans didn't like his profile when he came aboard, but those same folks should know by now GM has a thing for athletic outfielders who can play all three spots, etc. As opposed to the plodding corner outfielders who hit 25+ homers and play defense as if its secondary.

At a point in the year where 15 ABs can make a player look like Mickey Mantle or Jim Abbott at the bat, Garcia will be fine. Other than Omar Narvaez, the Brewers haven't had a single player get hot yet. Despite that they remain in first place. Nothing to see here folks.

• 3 months later...
Facts.

Simply put, he is not a good player.

Average at best, and that is giving him a long leash.

His time as a Brewer has been very vanilla.

You can paint a rosy picture of everything Brewers, but that doesn't make it true.

Some things are just what they are, and any spin you want to put on it doesn't change the facts.

Garcia is not very good, easily replaceable, and we have at least one guy on our roster that deserves his spot in the daily line-up, at least for now.

LOL no, not facts. The .797 was referring to what Garcia's OPS was 8 days ago. You are arguing a completely different point than what the original poster introduced.

Actually, I'm not.

Original poster wanted to know what is going on with Garcia.

Is he hurt?

I'm arguing that he just isn't very good, and his time with the Brewers hasn't been very good, so it's not really a surprise what we are seeing from him.

You can't cherry pick his .797 and say that is the real Garcia, when he is sitting at .619 for the season.

He is a below average guy that we feel the need to play, even though we have Taylor, who is outplaying him, sitting the bench.

Bump. If you’re going to tout being right about Cain, I’ll gladly point out this crap take on Garcia.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Garcia's OPS current sits at .837. Sometimes people show up to whine simply to whine. I think Hopper is likely among that group.

Last post was June 3rd.

(team wins the most games in baseball in the interim)

"I was right about Lorenzo Cain not playing 100 games."

Bump. If you’re going to tout being right about Cain, I’ll gladly point out this crap take on Garcia.

I already admitted I was wrong about Garcia in a different thread, but thanks for being thorough.

Archived