Brewer Fanatic

Garcia's slump out of nowhere

JohnBriggs12

In his last 6 games, Garcia is 0 for 20 with 13 strikeouts after striking out just once in his prior 6 games. Along with that he failed to run out a popup with a runner on first resulting in an easy double play in Chicago. His OPS has dropped from .797 to .619.

What's going on with him? Is he hurt? Cain's almost ready. Do they put Garcia on the DL or do they send down one of their hottest hitters in Taylor.

Out of nowhere?

He wasn't very good last year.

Hasn't been good this year.

I wouldn't call that out of nowhere or surprising.

Taylor has earned some playing time.

If Counsell is too stubborn to see it, it's a very sad day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Out of nowhere?

How is a .797 OPS not good? Saying he hasn't been good this year is kind of a fallacy. Before falling into this recent horrible slump, Garcia's results this season were perfectly fine.

Out of nowhere?

How is a .797 OPS not good? Saying he hasn't been good this year is kind of a fallacy. Before falling into this recent horrible slump, Garcia's results this season were perfectly fine.

The .797 was back in '19. He was .659 last year and is at .619 this year.

Out of nowhere?

No, Garcia's 2021 OPS had hit its high water mark of .797 on April 18. It has plummeted to .619 in just over a week. I'm positive that is what JohnBriggs12 is referring to.

No, Garcia's 2021 OPS had hit its high water mark of .797 on April 18. It has plummeted to .619 in just over a week. I'm positive that is what JohnBriggs12 is referring to.

I mean ok but just counting his nice start and excluding the stretch since is just statistical manipulation. His YTD stats are what they are and include both.

Man, these types of threads have been awesome this season. We take such small sample sizes and want to make mountains out of molehills. If anything, we should just keep piling these into the fire Andy Haines thread. We've seen too many Jekyll and Hyde acts from our offense over the course of his tenure with the Brewers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I mean ok but just counting his nice start and excluding the stretch since is just statistical manipulation. His YTD stats are what they are and include both.

It's April 27. Anything at this point is basically statistical manipulation. Briggs was originally asking if the slump over the last week was caused by anything, and Hopper was basically saying its because he sucks and hasn't been good this year. I was more or less saying that, up to April 18, he was doing just fine. That's the trouble with looking at April stats, though, and trying to make any type of determination out of them. The sample is just too small.

Man, these types of threads have been awesome this season. We take such small sample sizes and want to make mountains out of molehills. If anything, we should just keep piling these into the fire Andy Haines thread. We've seen too many Jekyll and Hyde acts from our offense over the course of his tenure with the Brewers.

It isn't really making a mountain out of a molehill when you evaluate him based on his entire Brewers tenure. There were reasons to be intrigued about him when he signed but he just hasn't panned out the way an optimist would've hoped for. Tough to give him the benefit of last year being an outlier year with Covid considering he is past his prime and doesn't have a great track record to begin with.

At this point I think he's provided a large enough sample to say he's just a below average player who has hurt our lineup and the money to sign him could've been better spent elsewhere. Hopefully the Brewers view his contract as a sunk cost and give Taylor an opportunity instead of continuing to trot Garcia out there.

Out of nowhere?

Facts.

Simply put, he is not a good player.

Average at best, and that is giving him a long leash.

His time as a Brewer has been very vanilla.

You can paint a rosy picture of everything Brewers, but that doesn't make it true.

Some things are just what they are, and any spin you want to put on it doesn't change the facts.

Garcia is not very good, easily replaceable, and we have at least one guy on our roster that deserves his spot in the daily line-up, at least for now.

Facts.

You can paint a rosy picture of everything Brewers, but that doesn't make it true.

Some things are just what they are, and any spin you want to put on it doesn't change the facts.

Garcia is not very good, easily replaceable, and we have at least one guy on our roster that deserves his spot in the daily line-up, at least for now.

LOL no, not facts. The .797 was referring to what Garcia's OPS was 8 days ago. You are arguing a completely different point than what the original poster introduced.

Facts.

LOL no, not facts. The .797 was referring to what Garcia's OPS was 8 days ago. You are arguing a completely different point than what the original poster introduced.

Actually, I'm not.

Original poster wanted to know what is going on with Garcia.

Is he hurt?

I'm arguing that he just isn't very good, and his time with the Brewers hasn't been very good, so it's not really a surprise what we are seeing from him.

You can't cherry pick his .797 and say that is the real Garcia, when he is sitting at .619 for the season.

He is a below average guy that we feel the need to play, even though we have Taylor, who is outplaying him, sitting the bench.

Facts.

Actually, I'm not.

Original poster wanted to know what is going on with Garcia.

Is he hurt?

I'm arguing that he just isn't very good, and his time with the Brewers hasn't been very good, so it's not really a surprise what we are seeing from him.

You can't cherry pick his .797 and say that is the real Garcia, when he is sitting at .619 for the season.

He is a below average guy that we feel the need to play, even though we have Taylor, who is outplaying him, sitting the bench.

MLB contracts are guaranteed. The money they owe Garcia is a sunken cost regardless of his performance. Perhaps you are correct in saying that he isn't very good, but it isn't like they can simply cut Garcia tomorrow and not pay him. Perhaps he will eventually find his way to the bench on a more permanent basis if he can't figure out how to get out of this slump, but the mere fact that his .OPS has dropped 178 points in 8 days is a strong indicator that it is still extremely early, and making rash decisions is probably not the correct decision, either. Tyrone Taylor has looked fine so far, even exciting, but its 15 ABS in a career that only has 63 ABs in its entirety.

MLB contracts are guaranteed. The money they owe Garcia is a sunken cost regardless of his performance. Perhaps you are correct in saying that he isn't very good, but it isn't like they can simply cut Garcia tomorrow and not pay him. Perhaps he will eventually find his way to the bench on a more permanent basis if he can't figure out how to get out of this slump, but the mere fact that his .OPS has dropped 178 points in 8 days is a strong indicator that it is still extremely early, and making rash decisions is probably not the correct decision, either. Tyrone Taylor has looked fine so far, even exciting, but its 15 ABS in a career that only has 63 ABs in its entirety.

Nowhere did I say to cut Garcia.

Not looking to make any rash decisions.

Just want him on the bench where he deserves to be.

The goal is to win games, correct?

Play the better players, regardless of $.

Telling me how many ABs Taylor has doesn't matter.

He is outplaying Garcia, and it's time he gets his due.

If Garcia earns his playing time back, great, but there shouldn't be playing time based on contracts, or what his OPS was 8 or 9 days ago when we have a guy on the bench that deserves a shot.

It isn't really making a mountain out of a molehill when you evaluate him based on his entire Brewers tenure. There were reasons to be intrigued about him when he signed but he just hasn't panned out the way an optimist would've hoped for. Tough to give him the benefit of last year being an outlier year with Covid considering he is past his prime and doesn't have a great track record to begin with.

At this point I think he's provided a large enough sample to say he's just a below average player who has hurt our lineup and the money to sign him could've been better spent elsewhere. Hopefully the Brewers view his contract as a sunk cost and give Taylor an opportunity instead of continuing to trot Garcia out there.

His entire Brewer career is a half a season.

He's been bad, not arguing that, but the sample is still quite small.

Nowhere did I say to cut Garcia.

Not looking to make any rash decisions.

Just want him on the bench where he deserves to be.

The goal is to win games, correct?

Play the better players, regardless of $.

Telling me how many ABs Taylor has doesn't matter.

He is outplaying Garcia, and it's time he gets his due.

If Garcia earns his playing time back, great, but there shouldn't be playing time based on contracts, or what his OPS was 8 or 9 days ago when we have a guy on the bench that deserves a shot.

I don't necessarily disagree that Taylor doesn't deserve a longer look. And I think he'll get it. But how does a guy like Garcia earn back his playing time while sitting on the bench?

Taylor is a 27-year-old who is still getting his feet wet at the MLB level. This isn't a Trent Grisham situation where a young prospect broke out and basically forced his way into the lineup as a 22-year-old. Taylor is about as likely to go into a prolonged slump as anyone else on this team. Sure, there's a chance he could still break out and become a viable major league regular, but that would be an aberration for a player in his situation. But right now, he's the hot hand, so he should stay in the lineup this week. Once Yelich and Cain are back, though, finding time for him is going to get much tougher ... especially since McKinney is also deserving of a longer look.

"Telling me how many ABs Taylor has doesn't matter."

This pretty much says it all......"Taylor's good because I say so....don't give me any stinking context!"

What context was given to me?

That Taylor has very few ABs?

lol, ok then.

What does it hurt to play the hot hand for a while?

Generally speaking, yes, you probably come out behind if you play the hot hand. Mostly because you would be basing that decision off of past short term results and not what you actually expect in the future.

In the case of Garcia/Taylor that might not completely apply because Garcia isn't exactly a guy with a consistent track record of hitting well and we don't really know what Taylor can or cannot do.

What we really need is a "who's doing good" thread. Because it's 3 guys tops right now. Narvaez, Wong and Taylor. Maybe McKinney but a lot of him looking good is everyone else looking bad. Singling out Garcia and Hiura is fun for everyone I suppose but just about everybody is on the struggle bus right about now.

Cain and Yelich can't return soon enough, then we can complain about them too.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

This pretty much says it all......"Taylor's good because I say so....don't give me any stinking context!"

lol, ok then.

I mean that is a big deal.

I like Taylor and I think he deserves more opportunities. I think he should be starting over McKinney even against RHP.

But, 63 ABs is just a tiny snapshot in a career. He has 3000 of those in the minors that show a little bit different player. Now I'm certainly willing to accept the possibility that he's grown and developed and isn't that player anymore. Heck, Trent Grisham wasn't a very good minor leaguer at one time. And that would be a great development if Taylor really started coming around at 27.

But, keeping expectations in check for now is warranted.

lol, ok then.

I mean that is a big deal.

I like Taylor and I think he deserves more opportunities. I think he should be starting over McKinney even against RHP.

But, 63 ABs is just a tiny snapshot in a career. He has 3000 of those in the minors that show a little bit different player. Now I'm certainly willing to accept the possibility that he's grown and developed and isn't that player anymore. Heck, Trent Grisham wasn't a very good minor leaguer at one time. And that would be a great development if Taylor really started coming around at 27.

But, keeping expectations in check for now is warranted.

I don't think anybody is suggesting Taylor is an all-star caliber player right now that just isn't getting his shot. It's more that we know what we have with Garcia and it isn't very good. With Taylor we don't really know what we have but he has shown a small sample that it might be pretty good so let's at least roll with him for the time being and find out more. Maybe it turns out Taylor isn't much better than Garcia at all, not sure he could be any worse though so might as well see.

Archived