Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-27: Marlins (Castano) at Brewers (Houser) [Brewers win, 5-4 -- Houser & Taylor hit back-to-back HRs; Taylor tallies 3 RBI]

Eye Black
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today’s game is a counter to the question, "What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"

Daniel Castano’s strikeout rate in 2021: 5.0%

Brewers hitters strikeout rate in 2021: 28.7%

So lets play a guessing game, how many strikeouts do you think Castano records against the Brewers this evening?

Castano faced 18 Brewers batters and struck out 3 of them for a 16.6% strikeout rate. Sort of right in the middle in the matchup of a team that’s 3rd in the league in strikeouts versus a guy that entered with the worst strikeout rate in the league among starters.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'll go a step further; some late era Doug Melvin picks have blossomed which in turn have really improved his legacy. After completely whiffing on two of his three first round picks in 2012 with Victor Roache and Clint Coulter, he hit on Mitch Haniger, Tyrone Taylor, and Suter.

Devin Williams was a late bloomer, and he hit on Garret Cooper. He missed on Medeiros and Gatwood in 2014, but landed Woodruff along with Monte Harrison and Jordan Yamamoto, and Grisham was a late bloomer from 2015.

I'll go a step further; some late era Doug Melvin picks have blossomed which in turn have really improved his legacy. After completely whiffing on two of his three first round picks in 2012 with Victor Roache and Clint Coulter, he hit on Mitch Haniger, Tyrone Taylor, and Suter.

Devin Williams was a late bloomer, and he hit on Garret Cooper. He missed on Medeiros and Gatwood in 2014, but landed Woodruff along with Monte Harrison and Jordan Yamamoto, and Grisham was a late bloomer from 2015.

Still too early to call TT a hit on a draft pick.

He's in the major leagues, that is a hit. Regardless of what he does in the majors, a 2nd round pick making it to the majors already means he beat the odds.

What round was he picked in?

At least he's not a complete whiff.

I just don't think there's a ton of upside in Houser anymore. Just a guy you hope can go 5 or 6 and give up 3 or less most outings I guess.

Don't disagree. But that's not a bad guy to have in the rotation. I'm not sold he can do that yet, but if he can he'll be successful.

I just don't think there's a ton of upside in Houser anymore. Just a guy you hope can go 5 or 6 and give up 3 or less most outings I guess.

At 28 years old, he's got a career FIP of 4.22 and WHIP of 1.35 with nearly a strike out per inning and 2:1 strike out to walk ratio. If this is his ceiling he's a 4/5 starter and will pitch all six years with Milwaukee and leave as a free agent. What's not to like?

If you want to fix their swing take about 3° off the upper cut.

There is a point where launch angle becomes counterproductive. I'm guessing if the Brewers had a bell curve on launch angle versus ops they would be passed the peak of the curve

Are the Reds looking to get out from under Moustakas' contract, and if so, would they be enticed by Avisail Garcia's shorter/cheaper contract? Worse player, but can cut bait after the season for $2M. Brewers' 3B woah solvdd.

Archived