Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-26: Marlins (Rogers) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers lose, 8-0]

Eye Black
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Keep an eye on Jazz Chisholm. Good looking young player.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On the Avi issue, I would be satisfied if CC allowed him to apologize to the team and take responsibility for his error. Then lead by example from here on out. Somehow CC needs to be able to say that the issue was addressed even if done in private.

Would sound good, sure, but true answer is "this is 2021 and this stuff happens." Most players these days don't hustle on pop ups, routine grounders, etc. Even base hits and doubles, they run 3/4 speed or so and then turn it on if the ball is bobbled. Yoy rarely see players bust it hard and round the base. Avi's pop-up is a more extreme example, to be sure.

Agreed that this was an extreme example that looks pretty bad when the reality is the Cubs just made a heads up play that 1.) majority of players probably don't make and 2.) was on a ball that 99.9% of the time is going to result in the batter being out. This isn't little league where anything can happen on any ball put in play. A soft pop up to the second baseman is going to be an out every time, I don't think players need to be booking it down the line on such a routine play...I would also bet it leads to more injuries (see Lo. Cain) than it leads to getting on base when they otherwise wouldn't have.

Now is it a great example for kids who are watching? No definitely not, but that's a different discussion.

On the Avi issue, I would be satisfied if CC allowed him to apologize to the team and take responsibility for his error. Then lead by example from here on out. Somehow CC needs to be able to say that the issue was addressed even if done in private.

Would sound good, sure, but true answer is "this is 2021 and this stuff happens." Most players these days don't hustle on pop ups, routine grounders, etc. Even base hits and doubles, they run 3/4 speed or so and then turn it on if the ball is bobbled. Yoy rarely see players bust it hard and round the base. Avi's pop-up is a more extreme example, to be sure.

Agreed that this was an extreme example that looks pretty bad when the reality is the Cubs just made a heads up play that 1.) majority of players probably don't make and 2.) was on a ball that 99.9% of the time is going to result in the batter being out. This isn't little league where anything can happen on any ball put in play. A soft pop up to the second baseman is going to be an out every time, I don't think players need to be booking it down the line on such a routine play...I would also bet it leads to more injuries (see Lo. Cain) than it leads to getting on base when they otherwise wouldn't have.

Now is it a great example for kids who are watching? No definitely not, but that's a different discussion.

Didn't Hiura have the same thing happen to him last year on a pop up? Am I misremembering that?

"It's ok not to be superstitious but you should be a little stitious." - adambr2 6/4/21

Zach Davies gave up 4 runs on 4 hits in the 1st inning tonight. One of the underrated benefits of the Brewers-Padres swap might end up being Davies being swapped with Darvish within the division.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

What the heck happened on that Chisholm chopper? Holy cow, I’ve never seen that sort of bounce on a major league infield.

[sarcasm]Whatever substance is being put on the ball backfired there.[/sarcasm]

What the heck happened on that Chisholm chopper? Holy cow, I’ve never seen that sort of bounce on a major league infield.

[sarcasm]Whatever substance is being put on the ball backfired there.[/sarcasm]

Hit the lip of the grass and the dirt.

I hope we give Taylor an opportunity as a full time player either this year if JBJ and Garcia continue to struggle or next year when the outfield opens up. Starting to have similar vibes to Grisham as a prospect

[sarcasm]So at what point do we immediately go to the suicide squeeze with a runner on 3rd and nobody out?[/sarcasm]
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

That DP is a killer. It looked like Rogers was well on his way to a 20+ pitch inning and a prime opportunity to get to him early. As it stands he gets through the inning with just 16 pitches.

Archived