Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-25: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cubs (Arrieta) [Brewers win, 6-0 -- Woodruff throws 6 scoreless innings; offense plates 5 runs in the 9th]

Eye Black
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm so glad Bill Schroeder is not an umpire.

I’m a Bill fan, but the schtick of “I can’t believe the batter took that pitch, and it wasn’t called a strike” on two-strike counts is getting old.

It’s well known that umps these days are objectively graded on their calls, and long gone are the days of rewarding a pitcher (or punishing a hitter) for a close two-strike pitch. It’s either a ball or it’s a strike, as it should be.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I'm so glad Bill Schroeder is not an umpire.

I’m a Bill fan, but the schtick of “I can’t believe the batter took that pitch, and it wasn’t called a strike” on two-strike counts is getting old.

It’s well known that umps these days are objectively graded on their calls, and long gone are the days of rewarding a pitcher (or punishing a hitter) for a close two-strike pitch. It’s either a ball or it’s a strike, as it should be.

Yeah, its the ones that are outside the box but close and they are called correctly (if you believe the box), and he say's something like "Don't know how you don't call that one a strike", when clearly it was a close pitch that probably could have been called either way. I think Schroder would have a huge strike zone if he was an ump.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Wow. Terrible time to steal right there but I will take it

3-2 pitch with your best hitter at the plate. You’re basically trusting him to not swing and miss at a fastball. Thankfully for us, that’s exactly what happened.

I am not Shea Vucinich

When are teams going to learn you don’t steal on Omar, SMH. ;)

In all seriousness, Omar Narvaez has now thrown out runners on 4 of 9 stolen base attempts. That’s the second best caught stealing percentage among MLB catchers this season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

3-2 pitch with your best hitter at the plate. You’re basically trusting him to not swing and miss at a fastball. Thankfully for us, that’s exactly what happened.

I don't like the possibility of a final out at third. Especially with good hitters still coming up. And with happ's speed a single likely scores him from second anyway

I don't like the possibility of a final out at third. Especially with good hitters still coming up. And with happ's speed a single likely scores him from second anyway

Yeah I don’t disagree at all, especially with an ace on the mound in a 1-run game, you don’t want to risk running into outs when scoring opportunities are likely to be scarce.

Just saying I can see a justifiable logic, even though I agree that I wouldn’t have done it.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Correction

So McCavly says it’s 4 for 8 thrown out, but I’m pretty sure he’s 4 for 9. If it is 4 for 8 then he would be tied with Roberto Perez for the best percentage in the league, Perez is 2 for 4.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think part of that was a "run environment" calculus. Looks like runs will be at a premium, so you try to stay out of the double play and hopefully increase your chances of taking the lead on a single.

Woody just threw a great pitch, and Omar made the play. Dared the battery to execute, and they did.

Archived