Brewer Fanatic

Opening Day 2007 - Brewers 7 Dodgers 1 - Ben Sheets complete game

For some reason I was sitting drinking my coffee this morning reminiscing about this game. I sat behind the plate, a bit toward the Away team dugout, probably about 15 rows back. I maintain that as it stands now, healthy prime Ben Sheets was the best pitcher the Brewers ever had and he was in peak form on this day.

He looked great in the first inning, going 1-2-3. Then in the second, a lead off HR to Jeff Kent. That probably took the luster of the rest of the game. The no hitter is gone, so is the shutout. But he then retires 22 in a row before giving up a one out double to Brady Clark in the 9th. Brewers win 7-1. Sheets complete game in 104 pitches. Game time 2 hours 11 minutes.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200704020.shtml

I was there too! Ben Sheets and Teddy Higuera were the two pitchers that made going to a game special “back in the day”.

Gallardo should be included too. Consistent and reliable for 7 or 8 seasons.. Not the highs of either, but really good. Clutch performance in Game 5.

I was there too! Ben Sheets and Teddy Higuera were the two pitchers that made going to a game special “back in the day”.

Gallardo should be included too. Consistent and reliable for 7 or 8 seasons.. Not the highs of either, but really good. Clutch performance in Game 5.

Gallardo was the man! Loved watching him pitch from 2009-2012. He had his walk issues, but he was as dominant as anybody when he was on. His curve was filthy when he had it going.

Gallardo was the man! Loved watching him pitch from 2009-2012. He had his walk issues, but he was as dominant as anybody when he was on. His curve was filthy when he had it going.

He was wicked with the bat, too. Between him and CC they could really swing it.

For some reason I was sitting drinking my coffee this morning reminiscing about this game. I sat behind the plate, a bit toward the Away team dugout, probably about 15 rows back. I maintain that as it stands now, healthy prime Ben Sheets was the best pitcher the Brewers ever had and he was in peak form on this day.

He looked great in the first inning, going 1-2-3. Then in the second, a lead off HR to Jeff Kent. That probably took the luster of the rest of the game. The no hitter is gone, so is the shutout. But he then retires 22 in a row before giving up a one out double to Brady Clark in the 9th. Brewers win 7-1. Sheets complete game in 104 pitches. Game time 2 hours 11 minutes.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIL/MIL200704020.shtml

I was there as well. Left field bleachers for me so you definitely had the better seats but what a memory of a game that was.

Didn’t Gallardo have 2 games for the Brewers where he pitched a shutout while hitting a homerun and winning the game 1-0?

Didn’t Gallardo have 2 games for the Brewers where he pitched a shutout while hitting a homerun and winning the game 1-0?

I want to say one I can remember was against randy Johnson and the giants.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I want to say one I can remember was against randy Johnson and the giants.

I thought one was at Miller Park too. Maybe against the Pirates? Maybe he only pitched 8 innings against the Pirates and hit a home run in that game and won 1-0.

I was wrong. April 8th, 2009 the homer he hit was a 3 run homer of Johnson and they won 4-2 and he only pitched into the 7th. Later that month he had the pirates game they won 1-0 where hit hit a homer, but "only" pitched 8. And then in 2011 he had a complete game against the braves where he scored the only run where he hit a single.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Not to further derail this thread but I recall a game where some questionable decisions resulted in needing Yovani to deliver a pinch hit rbi double to win it.

And I the hilarity of him getting his much earned shaving cream towel during postgame.

Not to further derail this thread but I recall a game where some questionable decisions resulted in needing Yovani to deliver a pinch hit rbi double to win it.

And I the hilarity of him getting his much earned shaving cream towel during postgame.

I was at that game. I believe it was against the Orioles in May of 2014 or so? One of the few Brewer games I have been able to attend in person in Milwaukee. I think it was the first time I met hawing and Briantheautomator.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was at that game. I believe it was against the Orioles in May of 2014 or so? One of the few Brewer games I have been able to attend in person in Milwaukee. I think it was the first time I met hawing and Briantheautomator.

I was at that game too! Back in the good old days pre 2021 where you could move around pretty freely throughout the game. I started up in terrace reserve and by extra innings was sitting front row field level down the 3rd base line.

I will never forget this game either as I was on vacation in Paris and we needed to wake up early to catch a train to Brussels and the game was still on (it must have been a long game) and it felt like I was in some sort of fantasy world listening to the end of the game in the deserted streets of Paris right before dawn. I literally jumped for joy when he got that hit. I've listened to or watched a lot of Brewers games in my life and most of them blend together but there are certain moments that will live forever in my head and I will always cherish.

Archived