Brewer Fanatic

Let’s Discuss Freddy Peralta

Eye Black

This FanGraphs article is worth checking out:

Fastball Freddy’s Fast New Windup

The difference in his windup from previous to current is sort of bonkers, and wasn’t something I had realized was so significant. The article gives both reasons for optimism and reasons for caution with Freddy. How he develops and performs this year is going to go a long way towards determining how good this team ends up being.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Great article, all the toe tapping does make me wonder about sustainability - I hope it works and is repeatable for him.

On another note, Fangraphs has really had a lot of great Brewers stuff lately. I highly recommend folks check them out on a regular basis.

Some more data on Freddy Peralta in terms of his current pitch distribution and where he currently ranks (percentile wise) among his peers in some of the various advanced stats categories.

51134106384_620bb22591_b.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it weird that the barrel % is bad but the hard hit % is not?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Is it weird that the barrel % is bad but the hard hit % is not?

Probably a little bit of small sample weirdness.

From my understanding Barrel % requires certain exit velocity & launch angle parameters to qualify, whereas Hard Hit % is just based on exit velocity, but could still be a ground ball.

Could be at this early juncture, that Freddy hasn't allowed many total "Hard Hit" balls, but most of the ones he has allowed have also met the "Barrel" criteria in terms of launch angle?

Kind of makes sense intuitively since he gives up way more contact in the air (10.3 Line Drive %, 62.1 Fly Ball % so far this year) versus on the ground (27.6 Ground Ball %).

Archived