Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

We better hope Avisail Garcia declines his option. That means he played well the entire year, if he is picking that up he probably torpedoed his OPS close to .700.

I think we are stuck with JBJ at this point regardless of how the year ends. He would have to go 2018 Christian Yelich in the second half to be declining that money.

I frankly don't see a scenario where Garcia is back next year. Either he plays so well that he declines his option for a better contract or he continues being marginally productive and the Brewers look elsewhere. I'm just not sure a middle ground exists where his performance makes the Brewers feel like picking up the extra $10 million and Avi doesn't opt out.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We better hope Avisail Garcia declines his option. That means he played well the entire year, if he is picking that up he probably torpedoed his OPS close to .700.

I think we are stuck with JBJ at this point regardless of how the year ends. He would have to go 2018 Christian Yelich in the second half to be declining that money.

I frankly don't see a scenario where Garcia is back next year. Either he plays so well that he declines his option for a better contract or he continues being marginally productive and the Brewers look elsewhere. I'm just not sure a middle ground exists where his performance makes the Brewers feel like picking up the extra $10 million and Avi doesn't opt out.

Thanks, I forgot it is a team option. Yah, I am guessing he is gone regardless. We are on the hook for $2mil regardless, basically.

I'm all in on Mancini for 1B.

That would be my number one choice.

He’d surely make a lot of sense and the O’s won’t be competing by next year, but it depends on how the Brewers view Huira. If they don’t think he can figure himself out, they could go after a multi-year 1B (and maybe send Huira as part of the trade). If they truly believe in Huira, then a rental like Cron or Zimmerman makes more sense without a DH being a sure thing in 2022 yet. Plus, Mancini would cost more in a trade

With Travis Shaw being only the ghost of his former self and Huira wanting to have a huge softball leg kick and uppercut, I looked through selling teams to see what they have at 1B/3B. Targets that I think make the most sense:

Cheaper: CJ Cron, Asdrubal Cabrera, Eduardo Escobar, Jorge Polanco, Jaimer Candelario, Josh Harrison, Ryan Zimmerman

Impact bats: Mancini, Donaldson, hit up Marlins for our former scraps Garrett Cooper or Aguilar

Cooper or Aguilar are on my wish list for sure. Aguilar is the bigger impact bat, but Cooper is no slouch and can play OF in a pinch. I think Marlins would be more likely to consider dealing Cooper now. I think they'll hold on to Jesus until near the deadline. I wanted Cron this winter so I'd be fine with him too.

Thanks, I forgot it is a team option. Yah, I am guessing he is gone regardless. We are on the hook for $2mil regardless, basically.

It's a team option which becomes a mutual option based on PAs in 2020-2021, which it looks likely he'll reach.

It's a team option which becomes a mutual option based on PAs in 2020-2021, which it looks likely he'll reach.

Again though, while I suppose it's possible he comes close but misses the PA threshold needed to gain his option it's more likely the Brewers do not pick up his option in that scenario unless he goes bonkers numbers wise. If he does that I'd rather just have him healthy and getting his plate appearances and helping the team. If the Brewers don't think they're going to make the playoffs they could try to flip him at the deadline or they just benefit from his play.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/top-mlb-trade-deadline-candidates-rumors.html

Good lay of the land. Would love Josh Bell on the cheap. Reds may unload but not sure where Castellanos would fit.

If you have to you can always play Castellanos at 1B. He couldn't be any worse than Hiura or Vogelbach defensively at 1B.

The Dbacks are probably the best team to deal with at 1B other than the Orioles. Pavin Smith will probably have to move to the OF as the Dbacks have Beer at AAA and he looks to be about ready to join the Dbacks at some point this year if not be their starting 1B next year. Beer can't play the OF and I wouldn't put Smith in the OF either especially in the NL West though he could play a passable CF which just sounds weird saying that about a 1B. His arm is below average for either corner OF spots and just about average in CF. The Brewers would probably have to overpay for Smith to get him away from the Dbacks but he should be someone that becomes available. This may have to be an off season trade.

I would prefer Schwarber over Bell from the Nationals. Defensively Schwarber would be a question mark at 1B but again I don't think he would be worse than what the Brewers are currently getting out of Vogelbach and Hiura.

Haniger could also be someone the Brewers could be looking to get. If anything the Brewers could move Yelich over to 1B and have Haniger play LF.

For pitchers I think Kennedy makes some sense and Bundy could be a Pomeranz like addition to the bullpen.

Not sure if KC would be willing to deal him, but I'd love to see us acquire Carlos Santana. I think I remember hearing we were in on him this off-season.

For some reason KC doesn’t like to rebuild by trading away the few talented older players they have. merrifield, Dantana, and Perez should all be on the block but they won’t trade any of them and will win 77 games instead did having a bunch of future talent added

Not sure if KC would be willing to deal him, but I'd love to see us acquire Carlos Santana. I think I remember hearing we were in on him this off-season.

For some reason KC doesn’t like to rebuild by trading away the few talented older players they have. merrifield, Dantana, and Perez should all be on the block but they won’t trade any of them and will win 77 games instead did having a bunch of future talent added

The Royals built their team this off season for 2022. It is why they signed Santana to a multi year deal and I believe they extended Perez this off season also? The Royals do have some nice prospects who should be up at some point this year and I believe they want to have a few veterans in place for next season. Not that I agree with this way of building a team but it is how they set out to build their team this off season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I could see Stearns going after a guy like Asdrubal Cabrera. Switch hitter, can play 1st and 3rd, might get you 800 OPS for half a season if things go right, he's cheap, and you don't have to commit past this year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I could see Stearns going after a guy like Asdrubal Cabrera. Switch hitter, can play 1st and 3rd, might get you 800 OPS for half a season if things go right, he's cheap, and you don't have to commit past this year.

Perhaps if the price was cheap enough, but he's been a guy who is seemingly perpetually available every year, and Stearns hasn't bit so far, despite an obvious fit. Something in the back of my mind is telling me that Stearns isn't a fan. Of course, this is 100% speculation. But he's the type of guy that if Stearns really liked him, he probably would be (or would have already been) a Brewer.

Perhaps if the price was cheap enough, but he's been a guy who is seemingly perpetually available every year, and Stearns hasn't bit so far, despite an obvious fit. Something in the back of my mind is telling me that Stearns isn't a fan. Of course, this is 100% speculation. But he's the type of guy that if Stearns really liked him, he probably would be (or would have already been) a Brewer.

Yeah maybe he wants to swing for guys that still have upside? If that's the case then Boston's Michael Chavis might be appealing. He's in AAA now but can play multiple positions. Former top 100 prospect. Might need a change of scenery. He's a big K guy so maybe it wouldn't work out and I'm not advocating they get him but he might be a guy Stearns' targets.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Brewers are near first place, and the bullpen is getting worn out, in addition to being depleted by the (worthwhile) Adames trade. It’s time to bring in an overpriced reliever from a non-contender.

The bullpen is getting worn out? Any evidence to this?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I mean they're in the bottom third of the league in ERA despite Josh Hader. I would say more just not very deep rather than worn out.

I mean they're in the bottom third of the league in ERA despite Josh Hader. I would say more just not very deep rather than worn out.

That I could understand. The worn out part I just don’t see. They’ve done a pretty good job managing innings.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That I could understand. The worn out part I just don’t see. They’ve done a pretty good job managing innings.

No I agree with you on that. I don't quite share Counsell's philosophies on everything but I think he is very aware that load management of our pitchers is going to be absolutely crucial to managing a 162 game season.

Hader and Boxberger have each pitched in over half the games since the trade.

That leaves games with only subpar relievers available (like Saturday) and likely sore arms soon.

Community Moderator

Hader has pitched back to back 6 times this season & has never thrown more than one inning in any outing.

He has not pitched three straight days all year.

He's also had day off stretches of 5, 4, 5, 6, 3 & 5 days.

He's pitched 24 of 58 games so far.

Coming into tonight there were 72 relievers with equal or greater appearances than Josh & 81 with equal or greater innings pitched.

Some might think we aren't pitching him enough, some might think we're pitching him too much, I'd say his usage has been about as close to just right as it's gonna get in this post-pandemic season.

Bullpen help and a bat at either 3rd or 1st. Bullpen help can probably be had for a reasonably cheap price. Maybe there is a starter out there the Brewers can convert to the bullpen… 1st base bat would be nice but probably more options available at 3rd.

Hader and Boxberger have each pitched in over half the games since the trade.

That leaves games with only subpar relievers available (like Saturday) and likely sore arms soon.

This is a good problem to have in regards to hader. Means we are winning games!!

Yeah maybe he wants to swing for guys that still have upside? If that's the case then Boston's Michael Chavis might be appealing. He's in AAA now but can play multiple positions. Former top 100 prospect. Might need a change of scenery. He's a big K guy so maybe it wouldn't work out and I'm not advocating they get him but he might be a guy Stearns' targets.

I think Stearns has said in the past that he likes to trade for players who still have another year or two of control, and Cabrera has been on one year deals or the last year of his contract for the past four seasons.

But I agree, the Brewers could solve a lot of problems by making one trade with Arizona for Caleb Smith and one of Cabrera or Escobar. Smith isn't a free agent until 2024, so perhaps a package deal with Smith gets him to pull the trigger on Cabrera or Escobar.

Archived