Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't want to trade Small or Ashby, just don't want to do it.

I don't want to trade Ashby or Mitchell but would if it is a difference maker at a position of need aka J. Ramirez

I don't want to trade Ashby or Mitchell but would if it is a difference maker at a position of need aka J. Ramirez

If Jose Ramirez becomes available there are going to be a lot bigger chips from other teams thrown on the table than Aaron Ashby and Garrett Mitchell.

If Jose Ramirez becomes available there are going to be a lot bigger chips from other teams thrown on the table than Aaron Ashby and Garrett Mitchell.

Yes but I feel those 2 are the best in the system, maybe even throw Hedbert Perez in there as well. I would prefer to deal for guys on teams with poor contracts or maybe flaws rather than go for a guy like J. Ramirez.

If Small or Turang need to go to help this team, so be it. (not that I would trade those guys for Cron or Seager)

Other than Jose Ramirez, are there any elite 3B that you would be willing to give up the farm for (that are realistic of course)?

There aren't any. Ramirez is one of the few that I would and I don't even consider him to be realistic.

Something like Eduardo Escobar is probably the most realistic but I obviously wouldn't give up the farm for him.

Not new names but Kyle Seager and CJ Cron should be available for little to no decent prospects given up. Send down Hiura and release Robertson or Vogelbach. It's sad that a mid .700's OPS sounds amazing right now. Would like a reliever too but I think our bullpen is getting magnified because we can't score runs.

Mark needs to open the wallet a little bit more to help this starting staff out.

Wong

Yelich

Adames

Narvaez

Garcia

Seager

Cain/JBJ

Pitcher

This lineup would be much better imo.

I can't imagine the Brewers shelling out $28M ($13M for this year and $15M for 2022) for Seager who is hitting .222/.271. At his age he isn't likely to get any better. Cron is doing great, but I don't know what the Twinkies would want for him.

Not new names but Kyle Seager and CJ Cron should be available for little to no decent prospects given up. Send down Hiura and release Robertson or Vogelbach. It's sad that a mid .700's OPS sounds amazing right now. Would like a reliever too but I think our bullpen is getting magnified because we can't score runs.

Mark needs to open the wallet a little bit more to help this starting staff out.

Wong

Yelich

Adames

Narvaez

Garcia

Seager

Cain/JBJ

Pitcher

I can't imagine the Brewers shelling out $28M ($13M for this year and $15M for 2022) for Seager who is hitting .222/.271. At his age he isn't likely to get any better. Cron is doing great, but I don't know what the Twinkies would want for him.

Twinkies would take whatever you want to give since they aren't giving up anything.

Cron is playing for Colorado this year (after Detroit in 2020)

Cron only played for the Twinkies in 2019..

Community Moderator

It’s a very small sample so take it with a grain of salt, but Cron’s production has mostly come at Coors Field this season.

[pre]Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip

Home 20 76 65 14 19 5 0 4 14 8 19 .292 .395 .554 .949 .357

Away 20 70 59 8 15 1 0 1 4 10 19 .254 .371 .322 .693 .359[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'd be shocked if they don't add at least one bullpen arm. They are well known for doing so when in contention, usually rentals. Swarzak, Soria....I might be missing some.

Drew Pomeranz (w/ Ray Black), Xavier Cedeno, and Jeremy Jeffress are some other relievers they’ve acquired in-season during the Stearns tenure.

Speaking of Jeffress... I know '19 wasn't great but he pitched well in Chicago last year. Why hasn't he been given a chance somewhere?

I'd be shocked if they don't add at least one bullpen arm. They are well known for doing so when in contention, usually rentals. Swarzak, Soria....I might be missing some.

Drew Pomeranz (w/ Ray Black), Xavier Cedeno, and Jeremy Jeffress are some other relievers they’ve acquired in-season during the Stearns tenure.

Speaking of Jeffress... I know '19 wasn't great but he pitched well in Chicago last year. Why hasn't he been given a chance somewhere?

Because his old agent. That’s what he claims.

I’m sure there is a real reason though and Jeffress has a lengthy history of issues.

Wong

Yelich

Adames

Narvaez

Garcia

Seager

Cain/JBJ

Pitcher

Interesting that you don't mention his slugging as he has 10 homers. He also is a plus defender. When you don't have a great farm system, you often have to take on bad contracts to improve the talent pool. Him being under contract for 2022 isn't the worst because we have no one in the system right now that is knocking on the door.

It’s a very small sample so take it with a grain of salt, but Cron’s production has mostly come at Coors Field this season.

[pre]Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip

Home 20 76 65 14 19 5 0 4 14 8 19 .292 .395 .554 .949 .357

Away 20 70 59 8 15 1 0 1 4 10 19 .254 .371 .322 .693 .359[/pre]

Fair point but even a .693 OPS would be a marginal improvement...

Career .829 against lhp would be nice.

Wong

Yelich

Adames

Narvaez

Garcia

Seager

Cain/JBJ

Pitcher

Interesting that you don't mention his slugging as he has 10 homers. He also is a plus defender. When you don't have a great farm system, you often have to take on bad contracts to improve the talent pool. Him being under contract for 2022 isn't the worst because we have no one in the system right now that is knocking on the door.

Maybe a team with big money could often take on bad contracts, but the Brewers are financially challenged. With Cain($18M), JBJ($11M), Yelich($26M), if you add Seager's bad contract ($15M), Wong, and Hader and that's almost $87M on only 6 guys. If they keep Garcia and re-sign Narvaez that's well over the $100M mark on only 8 guys. That doesn't leave much for the remaining 18-20 guys.

With Travis Shaw being only the ghost of his former self and Huira wanting to have a huge softball leg kick and uppercut, I looked through selling teams to see what they have at 1B/3B. Targets that I think make the most sense:

Cheaper: CJ Cron, Asdrubal Cabrera, Eduardo Escobar, Jorge Polanco, Jaimer Candelario, Josh Harrison, Ryan Zimmerman

Impact bats: Mancini, Donaldson, hit up Marlins for our former scraps Garrett Cooper or Aguilar

With the Mets needing OF bats with Conforto and Nimmo out and the Brewers needing a 1B, I wonder if they would have any interest in any OF not name Yelich for Dominic Smith? He is a 1B playing the OF and, not particularly well, and would probably welcome a move back to 1B. Absolutely no clue what would be the offer but certainly worth exploring.

If not Smith, I would certainly call the Nationals and kick the tires on Josh Bell. That would appear to be a less expensive route but would likely cost more in terms of prospect capital.

With the Mets needing OF bats with Conforto and Nimmo out and the Brewers needing a 1B, I wonder if they would have any interest in any OF not name Yelich for Dominic Smith? He is a 1B playing the OF and, not particularly well, and would probably welcome a move back to 1B. Absolutely no clue what would be the offer but certainly worth exploring.

If not Smith, I would certainly call the Nationals and kick the tires on Josh Bell. That would appear to be a less expensive route but would likely cost more in terms of prospect capital.

I can't see any interest in Bell (.206/.266/.653). Smith so far this year: .252/.310/.655.....3 HRs - 19 RBIs. Granted Smith would be a big improvement over Hiura, but that's not saying much.

Maybe a team with big money could often take on bad contracts, but the Brewers are financially challenged. With Cain($18M), JBJ($11M), Yelich($26M), if you add Seager's bad contract ($15M), Wong, and Hader and that's almost $87M on only 6 guys. If they keep Garcia and re-sign Narvaez that's well over the $100M mark on only 8 guys. That doesn't leave much for the remaining 18-20 guys.

If the team is good, Mark has shown he is willing to spend. You were beating the poor team drum all off season and then we found $13 million to sign JBJ so you might want to ease it back on that.

Odds are good that either JBJ or Garcia (maybe both) will decline their options for next season.

I am not saying Seager is the greatest use of resources but this is what happens you have a not great farm system and holes that can't be filled internally.

If JBJ thinks he going to get more next season with his avg like it is he NUTS.

Well he's not going to get more, but he's going to get 11 million, because that's the player option we gave him in his contract.

We better hope Avisail Garcia declines his option. That means he played well the entire year, if he is picking that up he probably torpedoed his OPS close to .700.

I think we are stuck with JBJ at this point regardless of how the year ends. He would have to go 2018 Christian Yelich in the second half to be declining that money.

Archived