Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

If the cost on Adames was a pair of decent but not elite relief pitchers, I don't see why Candelario should be prohibitively expensive.

I don't know anything about Candelario and the Tigers situation, but it sounds like the Rays actually have two SS ready in the minors. So they could move from a position of surplus, and it would actually allow them to evaluate what they have at ML level. Do the Tigers have surplus after Candelario they want to see?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An athletic guy who can play quality defense at short and has a solid bat will always have considerable value. Hence, Adames required two significant reliever prospects to get it done.

Candelaria has some pluses, and I’d be happy to have him because we are desperate out of wanton neglect at that position, but he’s not bringing Adames’ value. I’d ship Ethan Small and a secondary prospect out to get him if the Tigers even have interest in liquidating him. They’ve got some big time rising prospects at the corner infield spots. A future back end of the rotation piece could be useful for them in their rotation. If they want Ashby instead, I’d insist on Small, though, and play around with who the second piece is.

I think fans drastically overestimate the likelihood of Small or Ashby developing into high end MLB starters.

We've been a little spoiled by Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta.

If Ashby turned out to be a Josh Hader lite, I'd be thrilled.

Please no...

No trading Small or Ashby.

Looking forward to adding those two to Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta.

The hard part about trading one of them is finding a hole on the roster that will necessitate the move. In other words, does trading one of them net you something better in the OF than Cain, JBJ or Garcia? Or something better than Shaw at 3B? You're not trading them to improve LF (Yelich), 1B (Hiura), C (Narvaez), SS (Adames) or 2B (Wong/Urias)?

Assuming, you're moving one of them to improve 3B, what are they actually worth? More importantly, who moves the needle from Shaw that would make them worth dealing? I have a feeling we'd be shocked to find out their value was only a Kyle Seager, Eduardo Escobar, or Brian Anderson. More importantly, I think we would be mad to find out that one of them were dealt for one of those guys.

I still think Josh Donaldson is the most likely target. 3 years and ~$52.5m after this year would be tough to stomach but I think the Brewers will get something done there if the Twins do in fact sell.

I think fans drastically overestimate the likelihood of Small or Ashby developing into high end MLB starters.

We've been a little spoiled by Woodruff, Burnes and Peralta.

If Ashby turned out to be a Josh Hader lite, I'd be thrilled.

I think there is a pretty big gap between the 2. I see Ashby as best case #2 starter, worst case 8th inning reliever. Small best case 3 or 4 starter, worst case never makes an impact at MLB level.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Please no...

The hard part about trading one of them is finding a hole on the roster that will necessitate the move. In other words, does trading one of them net you something better in the OF than Cain, JBJ or Garcia? Or something better than Shaw at 3B? You're not trading them to improve LF (Yelich), 1B (Hiura), C (Narvaez), SS (Adames) or 2B (Wong/Urias)?

Assuming, you're moving one of them to improve 3B, what are they actually worth? More importantly, who moves the needle from Shaw that would make them worth dealing? I have a feeling we'd be shocked to find out their value was only a Kyle Seager, Eduardo Escobar, or Brian Anderson. More importantly, I think we would be mad to find out that one of them were dealt for one of those guys.

I still think Josh Donaldson is the most likely target. 3 years and ~$52.5m after this year would be tough to stomach but I think the Brewers will get something done there if the Twins do in fact sell.

Just say NO to Donaldson! $21.75M per year for the next two years for a guy who is going to be 36-37 and is often injured is nuts. Then an $8-12M buyout to boot. No-no-no.

What if we went all in on the starting rotation and acquired an elite starter to go with Burnes, Woodruff and Freddy? With a starting rotation like that all we’d need is our offense to be very average which I’m confident they could be when completely healthy. Not sure we’d have the assets to acquire somebody like that but it’s fun to think about.

Please no...

Just say NO to Donaldson! $21.75M per year for the next two years for a guy who is going to be 36-37 and is often injured is nuts. Then an $8-12M buyout to boot. No-no-no.

Yeah, I would have to think that his contract has negative value, especially for an NL team. If/when he gets the calf/shoulder issue going, you can't play him at DH. But are the Twins willing to kick in that much cash to get a prospects back to save face on a trade? Probably not going to happen.

Verified Member
Eduardo Escobar and/or Asdrubel Cabrera. Two quality cheap veteran switch hitting corner sticks on expiring contracts for a team going nowhere. Seems like a perfect match.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Eduardo Escobar and/or Asdrubel Cabrera. Two quality cheap veteran switch hitting corner sticks on expiring contracts for a team going nowhere. Seems like a perfect match.

Regarding Cabrera, he's been continuously available seemingly every year, always seems somewhat productive, always signed for relatively cheap, yet Stearns has never gone that way. I kinda get the feeling that Stearns is not a Asdrubel Cabrera fan, which to me means he will never be a Brewer.

Not sure on Escobar, but he is seemingly another name that is perpetually available.

Regarding Cabrera, he's been continuously available seemingly every year, always seems somewhat productive, always signed for relatively cheap, yet Stearns has never gone that way.

I've also wondered why Stearns hasn't shown interest in Cabrera over the last 2-3 years? Hell, he signed with Arizona this year for only 1.7 million, pocket change.

Community Moderator

Regarding Cabrera, he's been continuously available seemingly every year, always seems somewhat productive, always signed for relatively cheap, yet Stearns has never gone that way.

I've also wondered why Stearns hasn't shown interest in Cabrera over the last 2-3 years? Hell, he signed with Arizona this year for only 1.7 million, pocket change.

Asdrubal is 35 years old, pretty meh defensively, is a big negative on the bases & put up a 96 wRC+ over 213 PAs in 2020 after posting a 98 wRC+ over 514 PAs in 2019.

If he's still rocking a 139 wRC+ at the trade deadline (I'll take the under), Stearns & company should be able to pick him up for a low level prospect if they're interested.

What if Cabrera doesn't want to play in Milwaukee?

Does he have a no-trade clause? Kind of tough nuggets if he doesn't.

Now that is he signed yes. But the discussion above was about him being available the last few off seasons to sign and we didn't sign him for cheap.

1B I’d target on teams that might not be in contention come July:

Jared Walsh (Angels)

Pavin Smith (Dbacks)

Jesus Aguilar (Marlins)

Carlos Santana (Royals)

Walsh and Smith are probably a little more unrealistic targets but I’d be more than happy with Aguilar or Santana, who I wanted the Brewers to sign in the offseason.

What if Cabrera doesn't want to play in Milwaukee?

Does he have a no-trade clause? Kind of tough nuggets if he doesn't.

Now that is he signed yes. But the discussion above was about him being available the last few off seasons to sign and we didn't sign him for cheap.

Oh gotcha. Yeah true if your market is small anyway you might as well take your preferred destination.

Can Charlie Blackmon play 1B better than Vogelbach/Hiura? I don't believe he wouldn't cost all that much in terms of prospects he isn't a good OF anymore and probably shouldn't be playing there right now. If you want a low strike out guy on the team Blackmon would be a good player to get. If he can just play 1B better than what Hiura and Vogelbach bring or just better than Vogelbach that would be an improvement both offensively and defensively.

Blackmon does have two player options left for 2022 and 2023. So that maybe a prohibitive move and I believe the Rockies would have to put in around $7m for it to work for the Brewers at least if Blackmon who will more than likely exercise his 2022 and 2023 options. His 2023 option is only $13m which would fit well into the Brewers budget and what they spend totally on free agents. The 2022 option is what maybe prohibitive for the Brewers but I think the Rockies would kick in some cash if it meant a deal for Blackmon could be worked out.

I see Blackmon as a Corey Hart type of a player right now, definitely on the decline of his career but I think he could give the Brewers a nice boost in the lineup as someone who doesn't strike out a lot and can still get on base with a walk.

If the Rockies were hesitant on sending cash over the Brewers could just include JBJ in the trade and that would equal about the amount of cash the Brewers would need in return for the 2022 season when Blackmon accepts his option. I think someone like Erceg/Webb would be enough to get Blackmon so something like JBJ and Erceg/Webb for Blackmon or Erceg/Webb for Blackmon and cash.

The prize at 1B that I would really want would be Mancini from the Orioles. I think the Brewers matchup with the Orioles here and could get him for a package centered around Small and Zamora. The third and fourth piece I am not certain on for them probably something like Ray and Fry/Henry but I am not certain beyond the first two who the Orioles would want in a Mancini trade.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can Charlie Blackmon play 1B better than Vogelbach/Hiura? I don't believe he wouldn't cost all that much in terms of prospects he isn't a good OF anymore and probably shouldn't be playing there right now. If you want a low strike out guy on the team Blackmon would be a good player to get. If he can just play 1B better than what Hiura and Vogelbach bring or just better than Vogelbach that would be an improvement both offensively and defensively.

Blackmon does have two player options left for 2022 and 2023. So that maybe a prohibitive move and I believe the Rockies would have to put in around $7m for it to work for the Brewers at least if Blackmon who will more than likely exercise his 2022 and 2023 options. His 2023 option is only $13m which would fit well into the Brewers budget and what they spend totally on free agents. The 2022 option is what maybe prohibitive for the Brewers but I think the Rockies would kick in some cash if it meant a deal for Blackmon could be worked out.

I see Blackmon as a Corey Hart type of a player right now, definitely on the decline of his career but I think he could give the Brewers a nice boost in the lineup as someone who doesn't strike out a lot and can still get on base with a walk.

If the Rockies were hesitant on sending cash over the Brewers could just include JBJ in the trade and that would equal about the amount of cash the Brewers would need in return for the 2022 season when Blackmon accepts his option. I think someone like Erceg/Webb would be enough to get Blackmon so something like JBJ and Erceg/Webb for Blackmon or Erceg/Webb for Blackmon and cash.

The prize at 1B that I would really want would be Mancini from the Orioles. I think the Brewers matchup with the Orioles here and could get him for a package centered around Small and Zamora. The third and fourth piece I am not certain on for them probably something like Ray and Fry/Henry but I am not certain beyond the first two who the Orioles would want in a Mancini trade.

No way to Blackmon. The guy is scheduled to make $31M in 22-23. He'll be 35 in a month. For his career, he has a .248 BA and .748 OPS on the road. In Coors, it's .342/.975.

He's having a poor 2021 - .250 BA, .733 OPS. His power seems to be greatly diminished. Not a shock for a guy his age. No way I want to get saddled with him. Far too much risk.

The only way you take him is if Colorado picks up 90% of his contract or something like that. And that's even assuming he can play 1B.

Not new names but Kyle Seager and CJ Cron should be available for little to no decent prospects given up. Send down Hiura and release Robertson or Vogelbach. It's sad that a mid .700's OPS sounds amazing right now. Would like a reliever too but I think our bullpen is getting magnified because we can't score runs.

Mark needs to open the wallet a little bit more to help this starting staff out.

Wong

Yelich

Adames

Narvaez

Garcia

Seager

Cain/JBJ

Pitcher

This lineup would be much better imo.

Archived