Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The way this team is playing, I wonder if they end up sellers.

If I remember right, there was quite a bit of "we should be selling" talk in 2018 as well. I'm personally glad they chose a different path. I think if they are anywhere close to .500 at the deadline, they'll be buyers. And if this team isn't close to .500 at the end of August, that would be a massive disappointment.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember right, there was quite a bit of "we should be selling" talk in 2018 as well. I'm personally glad they chose a different path. I think if they are anywhere close to .500 at the deadline, they'll be buyers. And if this team isn't close to .500 at the end of August, that would be a massive disappointment.

I wanted the Brewers to sell badly in 2019. They ended up winning 89 games and back in the playoffs and they probably should have knocked off that Nats but I thought it was a golden opportunity to revamp their farm but still stay competitive in future years. I look back and what they might've been able to nab for guys like Moose, Grandal, Thames, and maybe a pitcher like Davies and wonder what might've been if we had gone down that road.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Don't know when. They were 8 games over. 500 on May 20th, 2018, 13 games over on June 20th, and 11 games over on July 20th. There were ebbs and flows to be sure but they were pretty much in it the whole way.

This team is under .500 on May 20th. I just think 2018 was a lot better overall team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Don't know when. They were 8 games over. 500 on May 20th, 2018, 13 games over on June 20th, and 11 games over on July 20th. There were ebbs and flows to be sure but they were pretty much in it the whole way.

This team is under .500 on May 20th. I just think 2018 was a lot better overall team.

I think most of the talk was immediately after that 5-game sweep against the Pirates immediately prior to the All-Star break, but even after that, they were still 55-43.

I think I'm probably confusing 2018 and 2019. There was "sell" talk both years, but it was definitely much more pronounced in 2019. Sorry for my confusion.

I don't think they're in a great position to buy and I don't think they're in a great position to sell. I hate doing nothing, but they're not in a great spot. I don't think they can do much more than hope that their underperformers come around. Yelich has to be better, Hiura has to be better. Urias has to not be a bust.

Some bullpen help and cheap 3B help is probably reasonable if they're within striking distance in July, but they don't have a great farm to buy from.

They can always go the Pirates route like they did in 2018 acquiring Chris Archer. They were competing in 2018, but it seemed like a bit of a longshot for them to actually get a postseason spot.

I'm not talking trading for such a high profile trade candidate...merely trading for more controllable talent that can help beyond a run this year.

At some point shortly here, the Brewers need to hit on a few draft picks and have them coming through our system. I'm sure there are guys there that will end up being pro ball players but they just don't seem to have any worthy names, other an maybe Mitchell, that anyone would really want from us. It is pretty hard to adjust your roster with that situation.

Draft and develop just has to be the way of the Brewers or it will be short bursts of decent teams and longer droughts of losing.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think they're in a great position to buy and I don't think they're in a great position to sell. I hate doing nothing, but they're not in a great spot. I don't think they can do much more than hope that their underperformers come around. Yelich has to be better, Hiura has to be better. Urias has to not be a bust.

Some bullpen help and cheap 3B help is probably reasonable if they're within striking distance in July, but they don't have a great farm to buy from.

Then again it’s May, the Brewers have been a M.A.S.H. unit all year and have played a killer schedule of almost exclusively winning or contending teams. They could be in first place come July and absolutely be buyers. Teams would love to get their hands on Aaron Ashby or Felciano so they do have ammunition to acquire players it depends on the targets.

I’d be more concerned about selling because it would mean their players are all underperforming which tanks their value. Unless doing a major rebuild, the only pitchers on expiring contracts aren’t likely to bring anything significant in return: Boxberger, Brett Anderson

Then again it’s May, the Brewers have been a M.A.S.H. unit all year and have played a killer schedule of almost exclusively winning or contending teams. They could be in first place come July and absolutely be buyers. Teams would love to get their hands on Aaron Ashby or Felciano so they do have ammunition to acquire players it depends on the targets.

I’d be more concerned about selling because it would mean their players are all underperforming which tanks their value. Unless doing a major rebuild, the only pitchers on expiring contracts aren’t likely to bring anything significant in return: Boxberger, Brett Anderson

Feliciano and Ashby are nice prospects, I never said they had nothing, just not a great overall farm to buy from, they're just not going to be in the running for the top guys on the market unless they're willing to deal guys like Mitchell.

They have not really played a killer schedule, it has been almost exactly average and isn't really a major contributor in what their current record is. They had their two best pitchers going into two games against a subpar Royal team and still couldn't get a game.

At this point we don't really have the injury excuse to fall back on, Wong has been back, Cain has been back, Narvaez has been back, Yelich is back. The few guys who are still left out on IL are supplemental contributors like Peterson, Robertson, who aren't really missed. We're currently healthy and we are still losing games. We were a M.A.S.H. unit indeed in April but we had a good month.

The chances of them being in 1st on July 1st is almost certainly contingent on starting to get contributions from Hiura and Yelich; without that happening the odds are slim.

Baseball is a streaky game, and July is a long ways away, so anything we're looking at now is pure speculation. We could very well be either buyers or sellers at the deadline, but I doubt we'll go "all in" either way.

If we "buy," it will probably be for a rental 1B/3B and/or some bullpen help. Nothing that would cost us any of our few viable prospects.

If we "sell," it will probably be trading away someone like Brett Anderson for some minor leaguers. However, I could see us going more "all in" on a sell than on a buy, as someone is going to need a reliever, and we still have Josh Hader who could probably bring back a decent amount in a deadline trade to a desperate team. I doubt we'd do anything more radical than that, as Brewer management knows we have good, young pitching, so even if we're out of it this year, we should be competitive for the next few seasons.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Assuming they are buyers, I would have interest in Josh Donaldson and moving Shaw to 1B. This would assume the Twins would pick up a significant part of Donaldson’s contract. I don’t think the prospect package would be significant either given his age.

I would pick up all of Donaldson's contract if it means the Brewers have to give up less in prospects.

Assuming they are buyers, I would have interest in Josh Donaldson and moving Shaw to 1B. This would assume the Twins would pick up a significant part of Donaldson’s contract. I don’t think the prospect package would be significant either given his age.

Donaldson is good. I don't think the Twins are going to love the idea of signing him to a big contract, trading him to us for peanuts and then paying him to play here.

I would pick up all of Donaldson's contract if it means the Brewers have to give up less in prospects.

You might want to rethink that. Donaldson is due up to $77M including his buyout in 3 years.

You might want to rethink that. Donaldson is due up to $77M including his buyout in 3 years.

I am fine with that but the Brewers probably not.

Maybe something like Small, Lindblom, Lazar and Bradley for Donaldson and $5m. That gets it rather close and the Twins still get two decent prospects in Small and Lazar.

Probably not the best idea to spend that much on an aging and injury prone Donaldson but at least he will provide some offense at 3B or 1B or DH if that becomes a thing in the NL.

I am fine with that but the Brewers probably not.

Maybe something like Small, Lindblom, Lazar and Bradley for Donaldson and $5m. That gets it rather close and the Twins still get two decent prospects in Small and Lazar.

Probably not the best idea to spend that much on an aging and injury prone Donaldson but at least he will provide some offense at 3B or 1B or DH if that becomes a thing in the NL.

We should just sign a bat in free agency for that price and not give up the few prospects we do have. Donaldson is already 35. If we are fine giving out a big contract, there are a number of great free agents this offseason that we could throw $20-$25 million at if we are serious about doing that.

I agree with adambr2 as I dont think the 2021 team can be compared to 2018. Much different situation.

This year my easy sell candidates would be Hader and Williams. I would consider it "selling high" on bullpen arms that can collapse in a heartbeat.

I would also consider selling high on Peralta if we can find a taker.

Those three moves wouldnt give the Brewers the top farm in baseball. But they should go a long way towards fixing the situation.

Woodruff and Burnes would still be here to lead the top of the rotation into the future.

This is all unfortunate but it is needed in light of Stearns whiffing on several draft picks.

Corey Ray= Bust

Keston Hiura = Awful defense and trending toward a bust on offense.

Turang = Escobar and Arcia part III?

Small = Ceiling is a 3 or 4 starter?

I mean if your a small market team, you just cannot whiff on 1st round picks like that.

A team would have to back up a massive dump truck of a haul for me to move Peralta. Like, essentially one of the biggest hauls in recent trade transaction memory. However, I am guessing most teams would be just as skeptical as any of us are when it comes to Peralta actually keeping this up. Think I would rather hold onto him and see what he becomes. It would hard to even value 5 years of Peralta at his cheap price.

Don't trade any of our pitching. This isn't that hard. Pitching wins games. Yes, you need to find offense but pitching is just so much harder to find. I feel like some fans need to go really look back on some teams the Brewers had that had just awful pitching to really understand what their brain should be telling them.

Right, the Brewers figures out the hard part, they have quality starting pitching. Finding better offensive players should be easier in theory but kind of hard to believe right now watching this team.

Don't trade any of our pitching. This isn't that hard. Pitching wins games. Yes, you need to find offense but pitching is just so much harder to find. I feel like some fans need to go really look back on some teams the Brewers had that had just awful pitching to really understand what their brain should be telling them.

100% agree with this. Overpay for quality hitters and take on a big contract to lessen the cost in prospects (Nicholas Castellanos and Josh Donaldson), and do whatever it takes to compliment the Burnes-Woodruff-Peralta TOR.

I wonder what the Reds thoughts are on Castellanos right now? Do they view themselves as contenders or would they be willing to get out of that contract if the opportunity came along? I would be very willing to take on Castellanos entire salary (2 years $34m minimum after 2021, assuming he doesn't opt out after 2021) if the Reds were willing to move him. Heck, I would take on Moose as well (2 years $38m) if the Brewer can't get Donaldson. Give them Garcia and his $2m buyout and lesser prospects for those big contracts.

The way I see it, those contracts should not inhibit the Brewers from possibly signing or extending Burnes or Woodruff as Moose and Castellanos both expire after 2023 and Burnes and Woodruff aren't FA until after 2024.

If you trade Peralta, Woodruff or Burnes Cain or JBJ's to go with them. Unless you are blown away by an offer and a Wander Franco, Bobby Witt, Jr., Spencer Torkelson, Gavin Lux plus are included. The Blue Jay's, Mariners, Padres, Rays and Twins might have the trade capital.

Archived