Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An AL team could get him as a rental and alternate him from 3B to DH.

I think you guys are a little off on their value.

They could but what team needs a 3B or DH? Still haven't answered what team would need this. If there is no demand for the player or the position then the valuation is going to be low.

By looking at the Machado trade we can accurately gauge what Bryant may cost and it is not all that much. Cub fans are going to be severely disappointed with a Bryant trade.

The Orioles received Yusniel Diaz, Dean Kremer, Rylan Bannon and Zach Pop.

Diaz at the time was the best prospect in the deal followed by Kremer everyone else were just organizational fodder.

A similar trade with Brewers prospects would look something like this:

Ashby, Lutz, Ward and Crawford.

If you compare this to the Machado trade Diaz and Lutz are very similar players and I will give Ashby the edge over Kremer as Kremer looks to be a #4 type pitcher and Ashby is probably closer to a #3 type pitcher. Everyone else is organizational fodder. This is probably the best deal value wise the Cubs would receive. I don't see a team giving up a big time prospect for Bryant or Rizzo. Recent trades indicate that rental players just don't bring in the value that they used to unless they are a reliever. Teams still overpay for relievers as I believe they are more desperate for relief pitching than offense which supports the recent trend of teams valuing relievers more.

Verified Member

Ashby and Lutz would be an overpay for 3 moths of Bryant imo.

What I'm saying is there has to be an AL team out there with a good 3B that would be interersted in Bryant to play DH and alternate with their 3B.

I am not saying anyone would want him for a strict DH.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Lutz simply doesn't have substantial trade value anymore.

I get why he gets thrown into trade offers, and I'm not saying we should give up on him as a prospect, but he's almost 23, has mediocre numbers in the minors and has played about 5 minutes of baseball at higher than A+ ball.

He's more of a prospective flyer piece than anything that any team is going to get real excited about.

Lutz performed pretty well in A+ at the age of 20 and missed his age 21 season due to the pandemic. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do what Grisham did and have a big breakout season. Lutz has always had the talent to possibly be a 5 tool player. He is a great young talented hitter. Maybe he can be our 2022 Opening Day right fielder? ;)

Community Moderator
Lutz performed pretty well in A+ at the age of 20 and missed his age 21 season due to the pandemic. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him do what Grisham did and have a big breakout season. Lutz has always had the talent to possibly be a 5 tool player. He is a great young talented hitter. Maybe he can be our 2022 Opening Day right fielder? ;)

Mitch Haniger is another example of a toolsy outfielder the Brewers sold low on, in his case during his age-23 season for Gerardo Parra. Haniger’s breakout was somewhat due to a swing change, and I’m not saying Lutz will replicate that trajectory, but it’s hard to give up on the talent at this point especially considering his trade value probably isn’t viewed as overly high at the moment.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Verified Member
The Crew needs offense just can’t see how they going to accomplish that at this point without giving up their pitchers

Then we will be saying the Crew needs pitching, we can't get pitching without giving up our bats.

It's a vicious circle.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Still going to say the pitching that is carrying this team will flame out as innings are piled up. Not even Ronald Acuna inserted in to this offense can overcome the wilted pitchers come September. Team needs to stand pat and fill from within. If they don't find themselves a Justin Verlander vet to carry your team to WS like done with Houston there's just no arms to feel comfortable about leading this team in playoffs this season. You can shut guys down a month to make it, but how's that regular season record going with those arms missing?

• 2 weeks later...

On paper the addition of Trevor Story and Jesus Aguilar would be a pretty big deal. Story is a pure rental and Aguilar would be a 1.5 year player. I imagine we will see Hiura again before the deadline to see if he can be the first base answer, but if he still sucks we shouldn't avoid a guy that is more than a rental at first base just because Hiura has nowhere to play in 2022 (if no DH is added).

Combined they shouldn't be overly expensive and it would be a huge help to the offense. I admit, I haven't done much research on potential guys who may be available midseason, but that combination was the first that jumped out at me. Not saying I would or wouldn't do it, just because I haven't done a ton of research on deadline stuff, but one can't deny the help they would give us.

Is there any chance that Huira heats up in AAA and the Bigs before the trade deadline and we in turn deal him because some of his limitations?

I would be open to trading Garcia to the AL and go with Taylor in RF for the rest of the season.

The shine has worn off Taylor: .212/.316/.379/.695 and he's hitting under .200 in his last 28 days.

Meanwhile, Avi is supporting a .258/.338/.430/.768 line and looks to be in great shape out there. It just doesn't seem wise to move on from him when the replacement isn't better than he is and we are actually trying to win this season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Why would we trade one of our only decent hitters? Don't we want more?

Because it’s a position of depth.

Not really. Replacing Garcia with Taylor would be a net negative unless you are adding someone like Trout.

Why would we trade one of our only decent hitters? Don't we want more?

Because it’s a position of depth.

Where is the depth you talk about? Bradley is hitting 156/.229/.550 and Taylor is: .212/.316/.695. There is no depth in RF. Garcia is one of the only legit hitters for the Brewers right now. Unless you're getting someone better, it makes no sense to trade him only to get even worse for one of MLB's worst offensive teams already.

Candelario would be a fit and would be good if it didn't cost much but would probably still take a Small or Ashby type player at least. Guess it would be worth it if the Tigers are motivated to sell.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'd honestly question the wisdom of buying/using what little prospect capital they have this year to acquire players when the offense is this brutally bad.

Might be a better idea to stand pat, see what kind of player acquisitions they make over the winter, and have a better idea of where they stand in 2022.

The way this team is playing, I wonder if they end up sellers.

Not really much to sell. They might be willing to sell high on Avisail Garcia...but that would be about it. I doubt they would trade Narvaez.

They aren't really in a typical selling position and they certainly don't have guys set to hit FA after the year playing well. I can't seeing them being so far out that they find trading Avisail Garcia/Brett Anderson for peanuts worth it. Better off just hoping the team gets hot.

It could get to a point rental players that aren't controllable after 2021 aren't really on the Brewers radar.

The way this team is playing, I wonder if they end up sellers.

Not really much to sell. They might be willing to sell high on Avisail Garcia...but that would be about it. I doubt they would trade Narvaez.

They aren't really in a typical selling position and they certainly don't have guys set to hit FA after the year playing well. I can't seeing them being so far out that they find trading Avisail Garcia/Brett Anderson for peanuts worth it. Better off just hoping the team gets hot.

It could get to a point rental players that aren't controllable after 2021 aren't really on the Brewers radar.

Yep. They have basically nothing to sell. This roster is chock full of neutral to negative value players. Even Avi is probably just a salary relief sell. No contender is going to have any interest in Hiura or Urias presently.

Your big trade assets are Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, and Hader, and barring a full blown tear down, Hader is probably the one and only one of those that could get moved if they sold. You might also get something modest for Omar Narvaez. That's about it.

Archived