Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still trying to figure out why anybody would even want Hosmer. And that includes the Padres 4 years ago. His fWAR is basically zero since he went to SD. He isn't a very good defender either.

And you can get all of that for only $60+ million.

Pretty amazing I feel great about the Brewers and would maybe only consider a RP. I don't see a point in SPs when you have 6 capable to share the load. You have your 2 RPs to end games. I suppose the RP you pickup replaces Sanchez/Topa future. Cousins has yet to give up a run and the Ks are piling up out there. Tellez has already been a boon for 1b. Whatever trade Id make for a non-pitcher would have to be removing JBJ for maybe a speedy PH making more than he should. Swapping contracts. It'll be interesting how well Escobar fits in the lineup. But feeling a mix of #5 or 4 between Garcia and Narvaez. Probably ahead of Garcia and behind Narvaez.

Since everybody and their brother is leaving DC, why not Joe Ross (2021 WAR--1.1 with 1.191 WHIP and 9.3 SO/9)?

He is sporting a .624OPS in away games. He will be more expensive and the current market may seem pricy given what LA gave up but it is a thought.

I honestly feel that at this point, a starter and Houser to the 'pen, would be good enough for a team that has DevWill back now, Topa readying himself, and Sanchez, Gustave, and Cousins ready to shuttle up and down. Sure a lefty would be ideal...why not start here?

Since everybody and their brother is leaving DC, why not Joe Ross (2021 WAR--1.1 with 1.191 WHIP and 9.3 SO/9)?

He is sporting a .624OPS in away games. He will be more expensive and the current market may seem pricy given what LA gave up but it is a thought.

I honestly feel that at this point, a starter and Houser to the 'pen, would be good enough for a team that has DevWill back now, Topa readying himself, and Sanchez, Gustave, and Cousins ready to shuttle up and down. Sure a lefty would be ideal...why not start here?

What about Josh Harrison from the Nats? .296/.366/.434. Would give the Brewers more of those redundancies they love as he has played all the positions but catcher in the major league, and hits LHP better than right handed. Free agent to be.

Iglesias and TWatson from LAA could be had if LAA thought they could not jump the others for a wildcard spot. As nice as that would be, I still hope for a quality starter.

From ESPN:

Note that five of the past eight World Series winners made a significant addition to their rotation at the trade deadline:

2018 Red Sox: Nathan Eovaldi

2017 Astros: Justin Verlander

2015 Royals: Johnny Cueto

2014 Giants: Jake Peavy

2013 Red Sox: Jake Peavy

It’d be interesting to see what Tyrone Taylor is worth to some teams. Sell high maybe?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Happy deadline day!

I will be extremely disappointed if the Brewers stand pat and don't make any additional moves. Very difficult to watch the Dodgers and Padres get exponentially better while the Brewers make a marginal trade. I understand the economics of baseball stacks the odds in favor of the Dodgers/Padres but if there was ever a year for the Brewers to empty their farm system for some big name additions this is it, IMO.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Happy deadline day!

I will be extremely disappointed if the Brewers stand pat and don't make any additional moves. Very difficult to watch the Dodgers and Padres get exponentially better while the Brewers make a marginal trade. I understand the economics of baseball stacks the odds in their favor but if there was ever a year for the Brewers to empty their farm system for some big name additions this is it, IMO.

Who are you benching for those "big names", though? Escobar is already going to cut into Urias's playing time. You benching Tellez after the week he's had? Taylor? Yelich when he comes back? Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

I could perhaps see a move for one of the bigger name starting pitchers, but even that has a hint of redundancy with how Houser, Lauer and Anderson hae pitched on top of our big 3. The team could use a pen arm, but other than that, I'm just not sure where they can go to get a major improvement through "emptying their farm system".

Yeah I agree. Our offense is set. I don't see a big trade there. Adames, Tellez and Escobar were all pretty much our "trade deadline" deals. They were just spread out over the course of two months or so. In the small chance we do make a blockbuster deal, it will be for a starting pitcher like Berrios.

Yeah I agree. Our offense is set. I don't see a big trade there. Adames, Tellez and Escobar were all pretty much our "trade deadline" deals. They were just spread out over the course of two months or so. In the small chance we do make a blockbuster deal, it will be for a starting pitcher like Berrios.

Agreed, they're pretty much full on offense when Yelich, Voglebach and Jace are back.

My prediction is also a couple relievers:

I'll go with Paul Fry and Kennedy as adds. Though Stearns might fool me and pull something big off.

"they're pretty much full on offense when Yelich, Vogelbach and Jace are back"

I don't see where there's room for both Vogelbach and Jace. They aren't sending down a red hot Taylor so they can keep both those guys. They coould use Vogelbach in a deal for a reliever. That he started his rehab last night is probably not a coincidence.

It’d be interesting to see what Tyrone Taylor is worth to some teams. Sell high maybe?

That would kill our outfield.

No thanks at this time...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Say it was in a package for Bryant. That would pair up nicely for the Brewers. I’m not saying I want to rid ourselves of him but fearful this will be the highest he will ever be.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Say it was in a package for Bryant. That would pair up nicely for the Brewers. I’m not saying I want to rid ourselves of him but fearful this will be the highest he will ever be.

Me too, unfortunately. Career minor leaguer who had ok minors numbers suddenly "breaks out" as a 27-year-old in the majors? That has certainly happened in the past, but those who have done it have been more or less flashes in the pan, rather than long-term MLB contributors. Nellie Cruz is the obvious exception.

I really like Taylor. He brings a terrific amount of energy and no moment has proven too big for him. He has even had some "clutch" in him. But if there is another team out there who views him as a long-term standout MLB OFer, and values him as such, then you almost have to consider a deal.

Archived