Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Buxton and Donaldson for Turang and JBJ would be reasonable. A lot depends on what the Twins want more, to get talent back or to get rid of Donaldson's salary.

It checks out on everyone's favorite BTV site because of the salaries involved. I can't imagine MA would approve it (it adds something like $50M over the next two and a half years), but otherwise it would be one heck of a baseball trade for the Crew. I imagine the crew would have to add a couple more prospects so 1.) the Twins feel like they're getting more for Buxton, and 2.) the Brewers can get the Twins to kick in a few more dollars to cover Donaldson's contract. At that point it may start getting to complex to actually happen though.

But other than that, sign me up!

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
I’ve seen people today float the idea of Mitch Garver as a RHH catcher and backup first baseman. Do we think that’s remotely feasible? It’s intriguing if nothing else.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

If Donaldson was OK with playing at 1st the rest of this year and going back to 3rd next year when Escobar is gone... that would be pretty WOW. With the increase in payroll coming next year just from the guys already on the roster I doubt it happens, but I'm gonna dream.

If not, I think a bullpen arm or two and I'm pretty happy with the moves made this year(not just at the deadline).

My top target would be Brad Hand.

Failing that a Kyle Gibson/Ian Kennedy package would really shore up the pitching.

Or hey, why not both?

A Hader/Hand/Williams/Kennedy/Cousins/Suter/Boxberger pen sounds good.

A guy can dream.

My top target would be Brad Hand.

Failing that a Kyle Gibson/Ian Kennedy package would really shore up the pitching.

Or hey, why not both?

A guy can dream.

LOL Hand just went to the Blue Jays, probably while you were typing that.

Well darn it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And they got Hand for very little. Happy to see most of brewers top prospects are likely to be safe. I’d be shocked if anyone in the top 15 is even traded.

If it happens, it's likely going to be for a starting pitcher with control beyond this season. Definitely a buyer's market right now.

Hand is a guy I wanted a lot at the beginning of the season. However, there are a lot of warning signs with him this year and his peripherals don't look great. Velocity was dropping every year, came back up a little this year but now his walks are up and his K's are down.

He just looks like someone who might be on the decline. I think they'll still look for reliever help but in another direction.

Twins are supposedly shopping Jose Berrios. He has a year left of control beyond this season. What are we thinking it would take to acquire him? Would Mitchell, one of Small/Ashby, Feliciano, and Eduardo Garcia get it done? Too much? Too little?

OK - so we're about at 26 hours left to go before the deadline hits (if my math is correct). So, outside of Escobar - who else does everyone think we'll get?

I've had this gut feel the past week here that DS has a big move up his sleeve, but I'm just not sure what that move would be?

I'd love to see us get someone like Kimbrel, but just not sure how likely it is that the Cubs do a deal with us? So, I'm going to go with the following:

Brewers get Jose Berrios from the Twins for Mitchell, Small and Howell

This trade then allows us to get a bit more creative with our SP the rest of the way and into the playoffs. Maybe even allowing them to move Houser back into more of a pen role, where he's pitched well in before.

Then, I'll say we also go out and get Ian Kennedy in exchange for Payton Henry

Am I crazy? Probably....but let me hear what others think will play out over the next 24+ hours here.

Gray and Hudson are both interesting suggested targets as well. My only issue with a Gray deal is that he's a rental player, and I'm not sure if another SP is that big of a need right now to go out and get a guy like him? Berrios would certainly cost a lot more, but with a trade like that - you then give yourself at least two cracks at a championship - one this year and one next year. Can you imagine a Woody, Burnes, Freddy and Berrios rotation next season for a full year? Wow!

I could easily accept Hudson instead of Kennedy, but decided to go Kennedy since I think I saw that Hudson went on the COVID list today, so assuming he is out for a week or so?

Iglesias is a great suggestion. Why aren't more people talking about him as one of the bigger rental relievers on the market? Are the Angels really not going to sell off some of their valuable rental pieces like him?

Boy, he'd look great in the back-end of our pen with Hader and Devin.

Gray and Hudson are both interesting suggested targets as well. My only issue with a Gray deal is that he's a rental player, and I'm not sure if another SP is that big of a need right now to go out and get a guy like him? Berrios would certainly cost a lot more, but with a trade like that - you then give yourself at least two cracks at a championship - one this year and one next year. Can you imagine a Woody, Burnes, Freddy and Berrios rotation next season for a full year? Wow!

I could easily accept Hudson instead of Kennedy, but decided to go Kennedy since I think I saw that Hudson went on the COVID list today, so assuming he is out for a week or so?

Kennedy has been a VERY effective reliever since moving to the pen. He'd be an excellent addition and Texas should be motivated to move him this week.

Trying to think of a realistic trade where Brewers walk away with Hosmer and Berrios, but dont have to give up prospects

Brewers get: Hosmer/ Berrios

Padres get: JBJ / ?

Twins get: Hassell / Morejon

Archived