Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Bryant makes sense because you can move him all over. Gallo too. Those guys I’d be fine with because you’re not simply taking one position away from a guy we already have playing well.

I'll throw Mancini into this mix as well. All three of those guys have experience at 1B, LF, and RF. Gallo and Bryant have played CF. And of course Bryant also can play 3B.

2018-21 Defense:

csMazZT.png

2018-21 vs. RHP:

0VneC9Y.png

2018-21 vs. LHP:

3ws5Xyd.png

Contracts:

Kris Bryant - Final year of $19.5M contract

Joey Gallo - Controlled through 2022 (making $6.2M this year, final arby year in 2022)

Trey Mancini - Controlled through 2022 (making $4.75M this year, final arby year in 2022)

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see a trade with the Twins where Urias, JBJ and a prospect in return for Donaldson and cash or international cash.

Boy would I dislike this. I would hate this move a lot.

Me too. Not trading a 24-year-old future stud infielder (who has already proven to be an asset at the MLB level) for a broken down 3B. I don't care how recognizable his name is.

Well, that's really the rose colored glasses isn't it? Urias isn't going to play shortstop for the Brewers on a everyday basis with Adames here. Wong is going to be playing 2nd base everyday through at least 2022 if not 2023 (club option). Urias and his .750 OPS as a third basemen is passable but not much more than that. Certainly a legitimate argument exists the Brewers don't "need" Urias given their current roster construction if they could acquire a better hitter at third base.

There is a tendency on these boards to denigrate players on other teams compared to players on Milwaukee, but I wouldn't call Donaldson "broken down." He's on pace for 540 at bats this year. Since 2019 he's played in 265 of a possible 324 games (81%). More importantly though, he's more than "a name"; he's still a terrific player. 2.1 WAR this year already, a slash line of .250/.357/.482. That OPB would be 4th on the Brewers and the SLG would be 2nd.

I don't think he gets traded, especially not to Milwaukee, because of the amount of cash he is owed (approx. 8 million of the 21 for this year, then 50 million for 2022 and 2023 incl. buyout of club option) but Urias and JBJ for Donaldson and cash is about as fair as you can make it and certainly would improve the Brewers in the short and long run.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, that's really the rose colored glasses isn't it? Urias isn't going to play shortstop for the Brewers on a everyday basis with Adames here. Wong is going to be playing 2nd base everyday through at least 2022 if not 2023 (club option). Urias and his .750 OPS as a third basemen is passable but not much more than that. Certainly a legitimate argument exists the Brewers don't "need" Urias given their current roster construction if they could acquire a better hitter at third base.

There is a tendency on these boards to denigrate players on other teams compared to players on Milwaukee, but I wouldn't call Donaldson "broken down." He's on pace for 540 at bats this year. Since 2019 he's played in 265 of a possible 324 games (81%). More importantly though, he's more than "a name"; he's still a terrific player. 2.1 WAR this year already, a slash line of .250/.357/.482. That OPB would be 4th on the Brewers and the SLG would be 2nd.

I don't think he gets traded, especially not to Milwaukee, because of the amount of cash he is owed (approx. 8 million of the 21 for this year, then 50 million for 2022 and 2023 incl. buyout of club option) but Urias and JBJ for Donaldson and cash is about as fair as you can make it and certainly would improve the Brewers in the short and long run.

My main argument is that Urias is 24 years old, and has already improved substantially from what he showed with the bat last year. If you believe his is going to all of a sudden plateau as a .750 OPS bat, more power to you. But given the improvement he's shown in his short time as a Brewer, I don't see that. Will be be a superstar? Maybe not. But a kid putting up a .750 OPS for a contending team after just turning 24, while playing competent defense at a relatively unfamiliar position, is a good thing. There is zero reason in my mind that he cannot continue to improve, too.

In the end, I'm not going to upset that apple cart for a 35-year-old 3B that might supply a marginal improvement for a couple months this year. I do not believe that Donaldson is going to provide more production and value than Urias in 2022 and beyond, either.

My main argument is that Urias is 24 years old, and has already improved substantially from what he showed with the bat last year. If you believe his is going to all of a sudden plateau as a .750 OPS bat, more power to you. But given the improvement he's shown in his short time as a Brewer, I don't see that. Will be be a superstar? Maybe not. But a kid putting up a .750 OPS for a contending team after just turning 24, while playing competent defense at a relatively unfamiliar position, is a good thing. There is zero reason in my mind that he cannot continue to improve, too.

In the end, I'm not going to upset that apple cart for a 35-year-old 3B that might supply a marginal improvement for a couple months this year. I do not believe that Donaldson is going to provide more production and value than Urias in 2022 and beyond, either.

+1 as the posters here commonly like to do.

Reds acquire Mychal Givens. Bullpen getting better between him and the pair of Yankees guys.

Well Cessa at least. Wilson is terrible.

Wilson has shown the ability to be solid. Really been bad this year. Johnson might be able to turn him around similar to Sonny. Still plenty of pen guys left for us.

For those of you asking me, who I would trade for bats?? First of all I definitely pursue, Bryant, Mancini, Story and Donaldson. I had mentioned that I didn't think it would cost nearly as much as some people thought. Though I can't give you specific names(though I will say NO minor leaguer is off the table for the right guy(s)) Here is a basis of which to go by. I don't think given this that anyone can say that any bat would be too expensive.

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

·

2h

Continue to hear it’s a real buyers market for position players. Lots of stars on market: Bryant, Story, Baez, Rizzo, Turner, Buxton, Marte, Escobar, Gallo, Peralta etc. Hearing of many offers of “B” level prospects for established “A” names. Contenders are focused on pitching.

At the deadline the Brewers have traded for both Schoop and Moustakas. The Brewers were also in on Machado but were not willing to give up Burnes to get him.

Schoop was at or above an .800 OPS when they traded for him. Moustakas worked out but as we know Schoop didn't.

I could see a trade with the Twins where Urias, JBJ and a prospect in return for Donaldson and cash or international cash.

Jesus. No. A million times no.

Freeman for Turang...get it done

It’s really a shame the Braves aren’t further back in the East as I believe they’ll still go for it and won’t sell. Freeman would be a dream scenario for us.

What a crazy Division, look no further than the run differential

Mets +4

Braves +45

Phillies -24

Nationals -25

Marlins +5

The Phillies and Mets are already buying, the Braves are sort of buying. The Nationals are standing pat for now, and the Marlins have already started selling.

why does everyone want Gallo. we already have a team that can't hit for avg. Power is very nice, but we need guys that can put the ball in play.

Check out his OBP, lack of left/right disparity, defensive ability, and position flexibility.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
why does everyone want Gallo. we already have a team that can't hit for avg. Power is very nice, but we need guys that can put the ball in play.

Dude is a pretty complete player. Great defender at a bunch of positions. Great OBP.

Dingerzzzz are great ... but he's more than that.

True, Gallo isn't the best at getting hits (86 AVG+) and he strikes out a ton (160 K%+), but he also walks a ton (177 BB%) and hits for a ton of power (170 ISO+) resulting in getting on base more than average (106 OBP+) and slugging more than average (120 SLG+).

Throw in positive base running (+15.3) and fielding (+37 DRS / +21.7 UZR in the OF) and Gallo has put up 13 WAR since becoming a regular in 2017, which ranks 47th in MLB over that time just below Conforto, Stanton, Rizzo & Brantley and just above Votto, Ozuna, Suarez & Starling Marte.

Brewers position players are currently 4th in walk rate, 7th in strikeout rate, 4th in base running and 4th in defensive runs saved, so I think he would fit right in.

Check out his OBP, lack of left/right disparity, defensive ability, and position flexibility.

HIs OBP is nice, but keep in mind the team around him. Teams are pitching around him.

You can pretty much guarantee that if this team still had Grandal at 1b, everyone would be ********. He even has a higher OBP.

Splits - He bats .209 vs .244 - Still not very good.

Position flexibility is good, but if he comes here, he's playing 1st or 3rd, thats it.

Big lefty power bat also plays very well in Miller Park, he should get a slight boost here. That said, if they have a godfather offer on the table we don't need to pay that. I'd gladly take Mancini for much less.

HIs OBP is nice, but keep in mind the team around him. Teams are pitching around him.

You can pretty much guarantee that if this team still had Grandal at 1b, everyone would be ********. He even has a higher OBP.

Splits - He bats .209 vs .244 - Still not very good.

Position flexibility is good, but if he comes here, he's playing 1st or 3rd, thats it.

If they’re constantly pitching around him, how does he have 25 home runs and a .500 slugging percentage? And no, he’ll get plenty of time in the OF here. If not this year, he 100% will next year. But he’ll undoubtedly play out there this year as well.

This team needs guys who get on base, and drive runners in ahead of them. Gallo is a perfect fit at both.

Archived