Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

I’m really starting to wonder if a big splash bat is even needed. They might want to focus on even more pitching and a bench bat(s) that can help them later in games.

Why not all of the above? Would seem to be reasonable to do without having to give up everything.

Because I’m really starting to like the addition of Rowdy at 1B. I like Urias at 3B. And I don’t think either Wong or Adames could be upgraded. With Yelich, Cain, Garcia with Taylor and JBJ I’m probably good there too as it’d be hard to trade one of those guys to get an upgrade.

Not only that but the Brewers have been scoring over 5 runs a game since the Adames trade. To me, that doesn’t warrant a panic move of getting rid of more home grown talent that will be cheap and controllable. If they could make minor moves to improve bench options and their pen/SP depth, I think that might be the best thing for them this year and longer term.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m really starting to wonder if a big splash bat is even needed. They might want to focus on even more pitching and a bench bat(s) that can help them later in games.

Why not all of the above? Would seem to be reasonable to do without having to give up everything.

Because I’m really starting to like the addition of Rowdy at 1B. I like Urias at 3B. And I don’t think either Wong or Adames could be upgraded. With Yelich, Cain, Garcia with Taylor and JBJ I’m probably good there too as it’d be hard to trade one of those guys to get an upgrade.

Not only that but the Brewers have been scoring over 5 runs a game since the Adames trade. To me, that doesn’t warrant a panic move of getting rid of more home grown talent that will be cheap and controllable. If they could make minor moves to improve bench options and their pen/SP depth, I think that might be the best thing for them this year and longer term.

I get that...I've just always been a believer that no matter the sport, the more talent you have, the better chance you give yourself. Acquire as much talent as you can and figure it out from there.

I'm not convinced however that acquiring a big bat(s), is going to cost as much as some people anticipate. Seems to me, a lot of deals the last number of years, the return is underwhelming for some of these guys. It doesn't seem like anyone gets a systems top prospect(s) anymore. Heck, look at the weak return Colorado got for Arenado.

I'd grab a 1B if it is a an obvious upgrade and would lower the risk of trash performance there (Tellez/Vogelbach/Hiura are all iffy performers).

The OF is such a mixture of expensive contracts, terrible play, and average play I am not sure how you can really try to upgrade it.

Wong/Adames/Narvaez/Urias will all do.

Bullpen help is pretty obvious and maybe a starter...but I can't envision a big splash there.

I keep having this thought that the Brewers will end up re-acquiring Schoop at the deadline. Right handed hitter, rental, has played first base this year, has hit .271/.316/.469 since his disaster with Milwaukee in 2018.

It seems so in their character like when they acquired Lyles a second time, allows them to keep their grade A minor league talent, and improves the overall talent on the roster.

Yah, there is no way they would consider bringing Schoop back in. I bet they would start Hiura over that idea.

Schoop seemingly blamed going to Milwaukee for his poor play, didn't want to come here, etc...Stearns then admitted how terrible of a decision it was when they didn't offer him arbitration after the year (or was it an option).

No way they go through that again for a guy with a sub .800 OPS for first base.

I get that...I've just always been a believer that no matter the sport, the more talent you have, the better chance you give yourself. Acquire as much talent as you can and figure it out from there.

I'm not convinced however that acquiring a big bat(s), is going to cost as much as some people anticipate. Seems to me, a lot of deals the last number of years, the return is underwhelming for some of these guys. It doesn't seem like anyone gets a systems top prospect(s) anymore. Heck, look at the weak return Colorado got for Arenado.

If you can get a big bat without giving up too much, I'm all for it (and I assume everyone's for it). What are some specific bats you'd like the Brewers to target and what specific assets would you be okay with them giving up for those bats?

Yah, there is no way they would consider bringing Schoop back in. I bet they would start Hiura over that idea.

Schoop seemingly blamed going to Milwaukee for his poor play, didn't want to come here, etc...Stearns then admitted how terrible of a decision it was when they didn't offer him arbitration after the year (or was it an option).

No way they go through that again for a guy with a sub .800 OPS for first base.

This sort of proves the point; Hiura is batting .160, they’re already wasting service time on a guy who isn’t major league ready. Keston won’t be on the major league roster after Friday.

More importantly what was the biggest name they’ve traded away at the deadline? Brett Phillips, Jorge Lopez, Jonathon Villar all those players were have been moved already since the Brewers traded them.

Thus, I don’t think they’re going to trade anyone of note by Friday, which means a .800+ OPS corner infielder probably isn’t coming to Milwaukee.

Finally, as a GM you have to have a short memory. Obviously, Schoop can play as evidenced by his stat line since 2018, and there’s no club option or high cost in acquiring him. In 2018, when he was traded I can get the “not being comfortable in Milwaukee” as he was leaving the only club he had played for to go to the Brewers. Now, 3 years later, he’s a journeyman and no doubt follows the paycheck wherever it may lead.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Finally, as a GM you have to have a short memory. .

Be a goldfish.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If you can get a big bat without giving up too much, I'm all for it (and I assume everyone's for it). What are some specific bats you'd like the Brewers to target and what specific assets would you be okay with them giving up for those bats?

Seconded. I would like to know this as well.

At the deadline the Brewers have traded for both Schoop and Moustakas. The Brewers were also in on Machado but were not willing to give up Burnes to get him.

Schoop was at or above an .800 OPS when they traded for him. Moustakas worked out but as we know Schoop didn't.

I could see a trade with the Twins where Urias, JBJ and a prospect in return for Donaldson and cash or international cash.

At the deadline the Brewers have traded for both Schoop and Moustakas. The Brewers were also in on Machado but were not willing to give up Burnes to get him.

Schoop was at or above an .800 OPS when they traded for him. Moustakas worked out but as we know Schoop didn't.

I could see a trade with the Twins where Urias, JBJ and a prospect in return for Donaldson and cash or international cash.

Schoop was actually having a down year when we traded for him. OPS was like .720.

Boy would I dislike this. I would hate this move a lot.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I could deal with doing JBJ to offset the cost of Donaldson and a prospect to offset the value. Not Urias too, though.

Me too. Not trading a 24-year-old future stud infielder (who has already proven to be an asset at the MLB level) for a broken down 3B. I don't care how recognizable his name is.

I love how athletic our infield is. I like that it is controlled as well. They have spunk. They’re young and I don’t want to move that. Even Rowdy looks more athletic than his body type. He’s 26 and isn’t a FA until 2025. Wong is the only one that after next season, he will be gone. At that point I’d think Urias would slide there and we’d be on the search for a 3B.

I want no part of Donaldson's contract on this team. We already have near constant complaining about Cain's and Yelich's contracts, I'm less than eager for Donaldson's name to join that litany.

I don't think there's that much difference between Donaldson's performance and Schoop's and Schoop doesn't come with near the risk or cost that Donaldson would.

It's funny, I was close to posting something about Schoop yesterday, my point was going to be we should be talking more about him than a guy like Rizzo but I didn't think there was really much point in stirring that pot when I agree with MrTPlush that I think it would be a hard sell for all parties (Brewers, Schoop and Brewers fans) on bringing Schoop back here.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I love how athletic our infield is. I like that it is controlled as well. They have spunk. They’re young and I don’t want to move that. Even Rowdy looks more athletic than his body type. He’s 26 and isn’t a FA until 2025. Wong is the only one that after next season, he will be gone. At that point I’d think Urias would slide there and we’d be on the search for a 3B.

We have a team option on Wong for '23. Assuming his level of play holds up I would imagine he'll be here for 3 total years.

Unless you can get an absolute game changer like Jose Ramirez, I don’t see the point in trading for a bat. At this point, I like where our offense is at and that includes the corner infield spots. Just go get some pitching and call it good.

I'm more than happy with Urias at least being the strong side of a platoon at 3B. He's a terrific defender at 3B, and as he matures, I expect the hit tool to improve, likely in to .280-290 range. It's the power that has surprised me. He is a legit 25 HR stick right now as a 24-year-old who is still coming into his own physically. There is no reason he can't eventually be a 30 or even 35 HR guy as his gets into his athletic prime. You have a 3B who plays good defense, hits .290 with 35 HRs, that guy is likely getting MVP votes.

I'm more than happy with Urias at least being the strong side of a platoon at 3B. He's a terrific defender at 3B, and as he matures, I expect the hit tool to improve, likely in to .280-290 range. It's the power that has surprised me. He is a legit 25 HR stick right now as a 24-year-old who is still coming into his own physically. There is no reason he can't eventually be a 30 or even 35 HR guy as his gets into his athletic prime. You have a 3B who plays good defense, hits .290 with 35 HRs, that guy is likely getting MVP votes.

It's he really a terrific defender? He makes a lot of errors there. Not Braun level but in the neighborhood. Not saying I want him gone, but I think he's probably average at best.

It's he really a terrific defender? He makes a lot of errors there. Not Braun level but in the neighborhood. Not saying I want him gone, but I think he's probably average at best.

He's been MUCH better at 3B than he was at SS. Over throws are the main issue with him right now. Otherwise he has terrific range and instincts. Definitely has the arm to play there. I expect that the throwing issues will improve as he gets more comfortable.

Bryant makes sense because you can move him all over. Gallo too. Those guys I’d be fine with because you’re not simply taking one position away from a guy we already have playing well.

He's been MUCH better at 3B than he was at SS. Over throws are the main issue with him right now. Otherwise he has terrific range and instincts. Definitely has the arm to play there. I expect that the throwing issues will improve as he gets more comfortable.

I agree on the range but the guy just makes too many errors. The errors haven't actually gotten better, he's just hitting more now so it's easier to move past them.

Even with the errors he's still average as is, definitely potential to be a good defender.

Archived