Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

It’s basically the same group who won the World Series the last time they played 162 games.

Rendon 2019: 7.2 WAR.

Rendon 2021: Angel

Strasburg 2019: 5.8 WAR

Strasburg 2021: Hurt/Ineffective

Basically the same group minus 13 wins from the top of the roster.

If people think Yelich deal is bad.

Look at 31 year old Rendon….0.0 war player set to make $38 mil each of the next 5 years.

29 year old Yelich is a 1 war player this year and set to make $26 mil per year for the next 7 seasons.

Yelich hasn’t been great. But thankful we aren’t missing as bad as some.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s basically the same group who won the World Series the last time they played 162 games.

Rendon 2019: 7.2 WAR.

Rendon 2021: Angel

Strasburg 2019: 5.8 WAR

Strasburg 2021: Hurt/Ineffective

Basically the same group minus 13 wins from the top of the roster.

If people think Yelich deal is bad.

Look at 31 year old Rendon….0.0 war player set to make $38 mil each of the next 5 years.

29 year old Yelich is a 1 war player this year and set to make $26 mil per year for the next 7 seasons.

Yelich hasn’t been great. But thankful we aren’t missing as bad as some.

The Angels inability to build around Trout and now Ohtani is something that does not get as much attention as it should. The Pujols contract turned into an all-time bad signing, and now Rendon looks to be heading down that path too. Pretty incredible that they have possibly the two best players in the sport and can't make the playoffs

The Angels inability to build around Trout and now Ohtani is something that does not get as much attention as it should. The Pujols contract turned into an all-time bad signing, and now Rendon looks to be heading down that path too. Pretty incredible that they have possibly the two best players in the sport and can't make the playoffs

It's not an inability to build around Trout per se, they have been very aggressive trying to put good players around Trout. However, they are a great example of the risks of trading prospects for veterans.

Tyler Chatwood (2nd round 2008) traded in 2011 for Chris Ianetta

Randall Grichuk (1st round 2009) traded in 2013 for David Freese and Fernando Salas

Patrick Corbin (2nd round 2009) traded in 2010 for Dan Haren and Joe Saunders

Mike Clevinger (4th round 2011) traded in 2014 for Vinne Pestano

Sean Newcomb (1st round 2014) traded in 2015 for Andrelton Simmons

They are also a great example of the risk of handing out long term contracts/extensions.

Pujols --.256/.311/.447 at a cost of 240 Million dollars

Upton--.238/.328/.454 at a cost of 106 million dollars

Cozart--.190/.261/.296 at a cost of 38 million dollars

Street --115 innings across four seasons fo r 27 million dollars

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

How about a Nationals package deal:

Brewers get:

LHRP Brad Hand (still owed $3.5M), FA after season

RHRP Daniel Hudson (still owed $2.0M), FA after season

RSP Max Scherzer (still owed $5.0), FA after season

Take on $10.5M in salary this year

Nationals get:

Ashby or Small

Zamora/Garcia type

Corey Ray

The Nats will likely want a pitcher in return - and probably one that's closer to the majors than not. That means Ashby or Small would need to be the centerpiece. We'd then have to give them a decent secondary prospect - I just threw out Zamora and Garcia as options. You could top it off with a guy like Ray - someone with a decent tool set, but has not put it together. He's essentially a throw in lottery ticket.

Other people will know the minor league player values better than me. My guys are just a starting point.

Assuming we could take on $10M, it gives us a great starter, plus two veteran relievers who are solid. Maybe not great - but solid. It also allows Lauer and Houser to be in the pen (assuming Anderson stays in the 5th slot).

Obviously Scherzer would have to approve the deal. But if he did, we'd have a killer rotation and the bullpen would suddenly be a lot deeper.

While he's currently on the IL, Kyle Schwarber is one of the better bats that should be available. He has a mutual option but you would think he would opt out to get a multi year deal. Not sure who would move to 1B, but his bat is equal to than of Bryant's (Zips wRC+ 128 vs 122 for the rest of the season) if his defense isn't there.

Brewers get:

Nationals get:

Ashby or Small

Zamora/Garcia type

Corey Ray

The Nats will likely want a pitcher in return - and probably one that's closer to the majors than not. That means Ashby or Small would need to be the centerpiece. We'd then have to give them a decent secondary prospect - I just threw out Zamora and Garcia as options. You could top it off with a guy like Ray - someone with a decent tool set, but has not put it together. He's essentially a throw in lottery ticket.

Other people will know the minor league player values better than me. My guys are just a starting point.

Assuming we could take on $10M, it gives us a great starter, plus two veteran relievers who are solid. Maybe not great - but solid. It also allows Lauer and Houser to be in the pen (assuming Anderson stays in the 5th slot).

Obviously Scherzer would have to approve the deal. But if he did, we'd have a killer rotation and the bullpen would suddenly be a lot deeper.

Who’s taking Scherzer’s 15 million in deferred salary for 2021 and Hand’s 6.5? It won’t be Milwaukee; nor does that package of players entice the Nationals to eat 21.5 million dollars. Due to the deferments they probably don’t move either player

While he's currently on the IL, Kyle Schwarber is one of the better bats that should be available. He has a mutual option but you would think he would opt out to get a multi year deal. Not sure who would move to 1B, but his bat is equal to than of Bryant's (Zips wRC+ 128 vs 122 for the rest of the season) if his defense isn't there.

I'm not super interested in watching him belly flop in the corner diving for balls he has no chance at...unless it's playing for the Cubs.

Yelich, Hiura, Ashby, Houser, Turang, Lutz for Mike Trout. Who says no?

EDIT: Other than Yelich and Trout, who both have no-trade clauses... :tongue

Also the Angels. That looks like a classic fantasy football trade offer of a bunch of stuff for a stud.

Have there been many rumors regarding Wil Myers? Could be an interesting addition...fits the versatility Stearns likes, can play 1B or 3B, control for next season, albeit, at a steep price.

Padres looking to offload some salary so he probably wouldn't cost much and they may even attach a prospect or two. You are taking on $22.5m 2022 salary though and $1m buyout or $20m team option in 2023.

Have there been many rumors regarding Wil Myers? Could be an interesting addition...fits the versatility Stearns likes, can play 1B or 3B, control for next season, albeit, at a steep price.

Padres looking to offload some salary so he probably wouldn't cost much and they may even attach a prospect or two. You are taking on $22.5m 2022 salary though and $1m buyout or $20m team option in 2023.

IMO the salary far outweighs the production. With Cain at $18M, Bradley's $13M, Yelich coming in at $26M, probably re-signing Garcia at $10M, adding Myers would be around $90M for just 5 players. Unless the Padres were willing to do a straight swap for Cain, I can't see Stearns having any interest.

IMO the salary far outweighs the production. With Cain at $18M, Bradley's $13M, Yelich coming in at $26M, probably re-signing Garcia at $10M, adding Myers would be around $90M for just 5 players. Unless the Padres were willing to do a straight swap for Cain, I can't see Stearns having any interest.

I don't see how the Brewers bring back Garcia when Taylor provides similar if not better production at a fraction of the cost.

They'll have Cain, JBJ, and Taylor who can play CF so they can focus on a bigger bat who can play corner OF, or go the cheap super-sub route with Hummel or Weston Wilson. Garcia's .750 OPS for a corner OF is very replaceable for a lot less than $10M.

Even if they don't re-sign Garcia I still don't see it unless Stearns gets permission to go past $125M in payroll. Even if they get a guy at half the price, that's still 2/3 or more of the total payroll for only 5 guys. IMO they re-sign Narvaez and Hader (about $13M or more), Wong at $8.5M and that's over $105M and they still have 20 guys left. Woodruff, Adames, and Burnes are arby guys.

Even if they don't re-sign Garcia I still don't see it unless Stearns gets permission to go past $125M in payroll. Even if they get a guy at half the price, that's still 2/3 or more of the total payroll for only 5 guys. IMO they re-sign Narvaez and Hader (about $13M or more), Wong at $8.5M and that's over $105M and they still have 20 guys left. Woodruff, Adames, and Burnes are arby guys.

Exactly. I see things getting rather expensive for some guys through Arbitration. Maybe a few extensions even out the costs, but unless they move one of the expensive guys (Cain, Bradley, Hader, etc.) it might be a year they go cheap.

Nah I don’t think they care about 2021 payroll within reason with playoff baseball coming to MKE
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Nah I don’t think they care about 2021 payroll within reason with playoff baseball coming to MKE

They've gone over payroll to a small degree (as far as we can tell) a few times, but 2021 is also different in that they had pretty seriously reduced revenue last year. I don't think they're gonna let payroll get in the way of making a move they *Want* to make, but at the same time, they're not gonna go bananas "because playoffs".

I don't foresee the Brewers adding a starting pitcher, but one name that I haven't seen brought up that would be really interesting:

Adam Wainwright

Veteran presence, World Series experience, still pitching well, don't have to worry about innings limits, and at 39 and a free agent after the season won't cost nearly as much as others.

Brewers get:

Nationals get:

Ashby or Small

Zamora/Garcia type

Corey Ray

Who’s taking Scherzer’s 15 million in deferred salary for 2021 and Hand’s 6.5? It won’t be Milwaukee; nor does that package of players entice the Nationals to eat 21.5 million dollars. Due to the deferments they probably don’t move either player

My original proposal incorrectly assigned salaries of Scherzer. I thought his number was $15M - not $35M. So we would be taking on more like $12M - not $5M. And the entire salary is deferred. I think it's simple enough to divide up paying the salary based on time played between the two teams.

For Hand, I was simply dividing up his $10.5 equally (2/3 to Nationals and 1/3 to Brewers). You could probably divide up payments between the teams - again based on time played. It doesn't seem that hard.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/national-league/washington-nationals/

I’m really starting to wonder if a big splash bat is even needed. They might want to focus on even more pitching and a bench bat(s) that can help them later in games.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’m really starting to wonder if a big splash bat is even needed. They might want to focus on even more pitching and a bench bat(s) that can help them later in games.

Why not all of the above? Would seem to be reasonable to do without having to give up everything.

Archived