Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

I see a lot of people throwing Turang’s name out in trades and I would caution people that he is still just 21 and hitting fairly well in AA. The power has yet to fully materialize but you don’t give up on 21 year old shortstops with a 60 grade hit tool this early. Look at the Rays and Adames for a perfect example. Any moves should be within the philosophy of the organization: acquire, develop, and retain young talent.

I agree with what you're saying in the overall picture of the franchise but at what point do you take a shot and go for it all? Even if it means trading top minor league talent.

For someone with more than just the rest of the season of control, sure. But not for a pure rental.

That's fair but as you know those are exactly the type of players that will cost you someone like Turang.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

12m

José Ramírez could be available at the

@MLB

trade deadline, with Cleveland losing tonight for the 5th time in 6 games and falling to .500. Ramírez's contract includes affordable team options for 2022 and 2023, so the club could wait until the offseason to move him.

@MLBNetwork

With the Brewers win and Cubs loss tonight to put them 10 back, you'd have to think that removes any doubt about the Cubs selling this week. Still remains to be seen as to how far they'll go, but I'd expect them to move some of their spare parts at a minimum.

I do think sometimes this front office is too caught up in analytics and numbers...they aren't the be all end all. Numbers can say whatever you want them to say. Sometimes you just need to go with instinct, intuition, common sense and your gut.

Once again, there's a reason they're doing this professionally and we're posting on an internet message board. And your part here is baseball straight out of 1997 rather than modern-day thinking. The Brewers are winning with modern-day thinking. Those that are stuck in the old way of doing this are lagging behind.

There may be some truth in what you're saying, I won't dispute that. However, I'm the type of guy(admittedly don't pay much attention to analytics), who would base these things(acquisitions etc) on pure talent, over anything #'s might tell me. Now there's lots of things that go into it of course, age, injury history etc. But I'm going to bet on pure talent over all else. If a talented player has had a couple of years of struggling(like Yelich for example), I'm going to look at the #'s and compare them to say (random player...Avi Garcia), I'm sure Avi's #'s are better in many ways, but even though Yelich's #'s aren't as good as Avi's analytically I know on a pure talent basis Yelich is better and I'd bank on him turning it around more than I would Avi continually being better than Yelich(according to the #'s). In my mind, in any sport, there is no substitute for pure talent, because in the end, more often than not, talent will win out in the end.

Jon Morosi

@jonmorosi

·

8m

The #Mariners are one team to watch on José Ramírez. Seattle has a rich farm system and flexibility at 2B/3B in the near and medium term. Jerry Dipoto always is ready to deal. And if he makes a significant move, it needs to be for a controllable player.

@MLBNetwork

@MLB

With the Brewers win and Cubs loss tonight to put them 10 back, you'd have to think that removes any doubt about the Cubs selling this week. Still remains to be seen as to how far they'll go, but I'd expect them to move some of their spare parts at a minimum.

Bryant is more than likely gone. I don't see the Cubs holding onto him especially since they know they have a very little chance in resigning him.

However, I'm the type of guy(admittedly don't pay much attention to analytics)

I think this part sums my opposition to your thought process, and is, again, why you and I are posting on a message board and David Stearns is running a baseball team. And running it well.

DET has more than a few relief pitchers to choose from and most under control for a while. A lefty like Tyler Alexander may come to mind, but aside from cheap pitching being a good thing to have, why wouldn't DET sell high on Soto? His WHIP and SO/9 indicate that he is the closer by default, they are years away, and while Soto might not get better, others can fill in in DET now. Cisnero may be another option as well. Either would push Suter into a lesser role.

Daniel Bard in COL does damage to RH hitters (.556 OPS) but oddly enough his OPS given up is better at home (.733) than on the road this year (.980).

Coming back with Jesus Aguilar could be Bleier and his sensational year might last through the fall in a new venue, but nothing the 34-year-old has done to date shows that he could maintain his .8 WHIP or SO/9 of 14.

While he is struggling a bit this year, Yency Almonte (COL) was really nice last year with a WHIP of 1.1 and this year he is way better on the road away from Coors (.599 OPS) than at home (1.092 OPS). He could be packaged with McMahon (who has not been good on the road but thirdbase so...)

Who gets sent to CHC for Tepera (.797 WHIP, SO/9 of 10.5) that you want to see opposite us for years?

I am holding out hope that a starter is acquired (KGibson please) and Houser is moved to the 'pen to be our new reliever.

If he were to waive his 10-5 rights, what about Max Scherzer? They would arguably have the best rotation in baseball for the postseason, I personally can’t imagine it would be too lofty of a price if the Nationals are reasonable.

As discussed a bit back in the thread, it appears that Scherzer would require an extension in order to waive his NT rights. As such, it seems pretty unlikely the Brewers could get involved.

Go after an elite bullpen arm who's a rental, which will dampen the cost slightly: Raisel Iglesias.

If I'm handicapping potential acquisitions, he and Caleb Thielbar I think are the two best bets along with Daniel Hudson and Brad Hand if Washington chooses to sell.

I think the Brewers may be waiting to pull the trigger on a RHRP though depending on what they see from Topa on his rehab appearances and Williams' progress. If all goes well, Williams will replace Perdomo and Topa will replace Sanchez leaving room for one acquisition to replace Gustave.

I am holding out hope that a starter is acquired (KGibson please) and Houser is moved to the 'pen to be our new reliever.

Not sure why anyone would want Gibson at all. He is basically Houser but having a little bit of a better year. At best you are going sideways and giving up talent to do so which would make this trade a bad trade for the Brewers. If you are going to trade for a starter they should be better than what you are replacing and Gibson isn't all that much better than Houser. If the Brewers are going to go after a starter it should be Jon Gray from the Rockies as he would be an improvement over Houser in the rotation unlike Gibson who would just be a lateral move at best and you really wouldn't have a role for Gibson in the playoffs. Putting Gibson in the bullpen would be a huge mistake unlike Gray who you could use like Houser in the bullpen come playoff time.

So you would be giving up assets just to put Gibson in the rotation for 2 months and then get nothing else out of him in the playoffs. That is just a poor use of team resources.

Why can’t Scherzer ring chase with Milwaukee and be a UFA next year. I think we would be the favorites in the NL with Max

Scherzer certainly could, comments from Boras just make it sound exceedingly unlikely that he will.

Here's how the various projections rank the NL contenders by World Series odds...

FanGraphs | 17.3% LA | 9.6% NY | 8.4% SD | 7.4% MIL

PECOTA | 17.7% LA | 9.4% MIL | 8.8% NY | 7.0% SD

538 | 21% LA | 8% MIL | 8% SD | 5% NY | 5% SF

Max is great but I don't think he increases our WS odds 8-13% by himself.

The Nationals don’t really have a reason to sell. They’re 8 games back in the Division with 10 games left against the Mets, 11 against Philadelphia, and 9 against the Braves

Then they have 20 games left against Cubs, Marlins and Colorado. Division is wide open they just need to play better

The Nationals stink and have a horrible farm system.

If they don't sell they're crazy.

It’s basically the same group who won the World Series the last time they played 162 games. Their division lacks a dominant team. Historically, they don’t sell big pieces. I bet they don’t move anyone and see what happens down the stretch

Boras talking extension for Scherzer is Boras 101. A team motivated enough to shell out the prospects for legit ace. Obviously he has someone focused on the here an now potentially willing to overpay in the moment on a contract extension. He can just wait for a knock your socks off number in that position. Or wait to negotiate with all the teams in the offseason.

It’s basically the same group who won the World Series the last time they played 162 games.

Rendon 2019: 7.2 WAR.

Rendon 2021: Angel

Strasburg 2019: 5.8 WAR

Strasburg 2021: Hurt/Ineffective

Basically the same group minus 13 wins from the top of the roster.

Archived