Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

1. Kris Bryant (RH but will cost Mitchell)

2. Dominic Smith (Taylor and Houser +)

3. Garret Cooper (Will cost Taylor, us)

4. Freddie Freeman (Turang, plus)

5. Jesus Aguilar (Regression candidate)

6. Anthony Rizzo (Left handed, the Brewer's need RH power. Hasn't been elite)

7. Christian Walker (If all else fails)

8. Cron (Doesn't excite me at all)

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always criticized here for wanting the Brewers to go big/think big. But you guys mentioning Freddy Freeman, makes me giddy. THIS is more the mentality I wish everyone had here. That's a difference maker. Period. Doesn't it feel good to be on the side of realizing going big is the most exciting AND the likeliest(no guarantees) path to where we all ultimately want them to go?? It just doesn't make sense to NOT have that mentality when you have the pitching staff and the window the crew currently has. I'm proud of all of you that have brought up Freeman! :)

By the way, some people want to know what thinking "big" is to me...it's guys that have been mentioned here, Kris Bryant, Freddie Freeman,Joey Gallo, Trey Mancini, even Max Scherzer would make me giddy. Guys like Aguilar, CJ Cron etc, do nothing for me, and I don't think would have the major impact on them that is needed.

No one here I'm sure forgets the big acquisition of CC Sabathia and what he did for the Brewers. That's what they should be shooting for...guys that can make that type of an elite impact, because they have an even better window now then they did then.

I'm always criticized here for wanting the Brewers to go big/think big. But you guys mentioning Freddy Freeman, makes me giddy. THIS is more the mentality I wish everyone had here. That's a difference maker. Period.

But you know who else was a difference maker? Willy Adames. And you HATED that deal.

What you're criticized for here is the fact that you have a few players in mind for who you want to acquire, and immediately hate anything else the team does. Yet, the front office has proven time and time again that they're really good at what they do.

So, they'll evaluate potential deals and make the ones that make sense to them, and that's how it SHOULD work. Fans on a message board are just that. Our front office is paid to run the franchise, and they do it very well.

1. Kris Bryant (RH but will cost Mitchell)

2. Dominic Smith (Taylor and Houser +)

3. Garret Cooper (Will cost Taylor, us)

4. Freddie Freeman (Turang, plus)

5. Jesus Aguilar (Regression candidate)

6. Anthony Rizzo (Left handed, the Brewer's need RH power. Hasn't been elite)

7. Christian Walker (If all else fails)

8. Cron (Doesn't excite me at all)

No way does our best prospect cost 2 months of Kris Bryant…

I'm always criticized here for wanting the Brewers to go big/think big. But you guys mentioning Freddy Freeman, makes me giddy. THIS is more the mentality I wish everyone had here. That's a difference maker. Period.

But you know who else was a difference maker? Willy Adames. And you HATED that deal.

What you're criticized for here is the fact that you have a few players in mind for who you want to acquire, and immediately hate anything else the team does. Yet, the front office has proven time and time again that they're really good at what they do.

So, they'll evaluate potential deals and make the ones that make sense to them, and that's how it SHOULD work. Fans on a message board are just that. Our front office is paid to run the franchise, and they do it very well.

How many world series appearances do they have with this mentality or titles have they won?? I'll hang up and listen. yes, I didn't think Adames would have the impact he has, I was wrong, but that's all the more reason to "go for the jugular".

How many world series appearances do they have with this mentality or titles have they won?? I'll hang up and listen. yes, I didn't think Adames would have the impact he has, I was wrong, but that's all the more reason to "go for the jugular".

Do you know how many World Series titles the Dodgers' won with an 'all-in' mentality and a payroll more than twice the Brewers' payroll? One. In a covid-shortened weird season.

You seem to think that emptying the farm is going to guarantee a World Series. It's absolutely not.

You seem to forget that though the Sabathia trade was a huge deal for the franchise, they literally didn't even win a playoff series that year, let alone make a World Series run.

How many do you have? I’ll hang up and listen.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Freeman would be a huge get and would put us in line to get to the world series. Acuna being out gives them reason to wait till next year. I am not sure the Brewers have what they want but Freddy wants to win and hasn't gotten over the hump so I'm thinking he would sign off.

I'm always criticized here for wanting the Brewers to go big/think big. But you guys mentioning Freddy Freeman, makes me giddy. THIS is more the mentality I wish everyone had here. That's a difference maker. Period. Doesn't it feel good to be on the side of realizing going big is the most exciting AND the likeliest(no guarantees) path to where we all ultimately want them to go?? It just doesn't make sense to NOT have that mentality when you have the pitching staff and the window the crew currently has. I'm proud of all of you that have brought up Freeman! :)

By the way, some people want to know what thinking "big" is to me...it's guys that have been mentioned here, Kris Bryant, Freddie Freeman,Joey Gallo, Trey Mancini, even Max Scherzer would make me giddy. Guys like Aguilar, CJ Cron etc, do nothing for me, and I don't think would have the major impact on them that is needed.

No one here I'm sure forgets the big acquisition of CC Sabathia and what he did for the Brewers. That's what they should be shooting for...guys that can make that type of an elite impact, because they have an even better window now then they did then.

You do understand that you have advocated for trading all of Woodruff, Peralta, and Burnes at various times over the last 3+ years when they were just prospects in "thinking big" moves for short term help, and that if we had followed this approach we wouldn't be in any position to go for anything right now.

I keep looking for outside the box type acquisitions. How about Mitch Haniger to play 1st and outfield? Right handed bat, 1 year of team control remaining, price would be steep but not as much as Gallo. Ian Kennedy would be a nice piece out of the pen that shouldn’t cost a ton.

Do you know how many World Series titles the Dodgers' won with an 'all-in' mentality and a payroll more than twice the Brewers' payroll? One. In a covid-shortened weird season.

You seem to think that emptying the farm is going to guarantee a World Series. It's absolutely not.

You seem to forget that though the Sabathia trade was a huge deal for the franchise, they literally didn't even win a playoff series that year, let alone make a World Series run.

I don't think anything is guaranteed, I have said that repeatedly. But you know what I do know for a fact?? Prospects are just that...prospects. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. You know what else I know?? I will always take proven talent over unknown talent all the time.

Now this is where you'll chime in with "but but but the Brewers are a small market yadda yadda yadda". You're only a small market if you act like one.

Would anyone take what the Royals have been through?? They got a world series title and haven't been good since then. I say so the hell what. I'd take that every single time.

You do understand that you have advocated for trading all of Woodruff, Peralta, and Burnes at various times over the last 3+ years when they were just prospects in "thinking big" moves for short term help, and that if we had followed this approach we wouldn't be in any position to go for anything right now.

I have, but the biggest misnomer people have here is that i automatically want these moves to be short term moves. Nothing could be further from the truth. You can acquire guys that have service time available, it's been done many times in baseball, and you know what else?? Even perceived short term guys don't have to be short term guys. So now this is when I get reminded for the billionth time that the Brewers are a "small market" yadda yadda yadda. So f'n what?? You can be in a small market, and not act like you're in a small market. I don't EVER EVER EVER want to hear again about the payroll and how it can only be so high...it's total BS. The payroll can be whatever Mark A chooses it to be, but it doesn't HAVE to be that, yet everyone thinks it can ONLY be xxx or xxx.

If i was a multi millionaire or billionaire and owned a pro sports franchise, it would essentially be a hobby for me. In all honesty, if I brought in enough to pay the bills, cover payroll every year and made $100 or lost tens of thousands every year when all is said and done, so be it. I wouldn't be in it to make money. I'd be in it for the glory and world championships.

Now this is where you'll chime in with "but but but the Brewers are a small market yadda yadda yadda". You're only a small market if you act like one.

Haven't said that once. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

At this point, I've more than made mine. The Brewers will make smart deadline moves that will make the team better. Some will hate every one because it's not the 'name' player they have on their short list. And the Brewers will make their fourth consecutive post-season run. Sooner or later, people will start to acknowledge that the front office does know more than us, because they do.

Rodgers from the Twins would be a great get. Lefty with closing experience. Would deepen the pen and hope we don't have to see Suter more than once a week.

The cost would be extremely high. One of the best pitcher out of the pen. Would make our already good pen even better tho. Williams, Rogers, and Hader. My guess is the brewers find value somewhere else for bullpen help with a lesser price tag. But we can all dream.

Haven't said that once. Don't put words in my mouth, please.

At this point, I've more than made mine. The Brewers will make smart deadline moves that will make the team better. Some will hate every one because it's not the 'name' player they have on their short list. And the Brewers will make their fourth consecutive post-season run. Sooner or later, people will start to acknowledge that the front office does know more than us, because they do.

They know more than any of us, without a doubt. My way may not be the right way, because again nothing is guaranteed, but I'm playing the odds in my thinking. I'm more than happy to play the odds that the better player you acquire, the better the production you will get. Of course it doesn't always work that way, but you know what else?? You will never know if you don't try. And if they do make a big move(s) and it doesn't work out, I will gladly applaud them for at least giving it a shot. It's the not even attempting it that bothers me. As I say, "scared $$ don't make $$". I do think sometimes this front office is too caught up in analytics and numbers...they aren't the be all end all. Numbers can say whatever you want them to say. Sometimes you just need to go with instinct, intuition, common sense and your gut.

Different sports yes, but look at the Bucks..they went "all in" knowing Giannis and Midds needed a third guy, so they essentially gave up the farm to get Jrue Holiday not knowing at the time if it would work or not. They also went into the luxury tax thresh hold again without knowing if it would work. They took a calculated risk and it worked. Do you think for one second that they have any regrets about going over the luxury tax thresh hold or giving up all those #1 picks for Jrue?? I can absolutely assure you they do not, and never will. The title pays for itself many times over.

Baseball and NBA are structured differently obviously, but my whole point of using the Bucks was the "all in" mentality/strategy. I'm also fairly certain that had it not worked, this coming year they would have made some moves to change things up and gone after it again.

The Packers on the other hand have been totally opposite. Not once have they gone "all in" with Arodg at QB. They rested on their laurels, thought "we are good enough" and they have won one freaking SB with him at QB in all these years. What if they would have "mortgaged" the farm and went for it last year(like TB did)?? Or other years?? Would that have guaranteed they won it?? Nope. But I'm pretty certain I can say if they would have done that, they wouldn't be in the predicament they are now with an unhappy Arodg who's issues stem from the fact that they have never really "gone for it" in his time there.

I see a lot of people throwing Turang’s name out in trades and I would caution people that he is still just 21 and hitting fairly well in AA. The power has yet to fully materialize but you don’t give up on 21 year old shortstops with a 60 grade hit tool this early. Look at the Rays and Adames for a perfect example. Any moves should be within the philosophy of the organization: acquire, develop, and retain young talent.

I see a lot of people throwing Turang’s name out in trades and I would caution people that he is still just 21 and hitting fairly well in AA. The power has yet to fully materialize but you don’t give up on 21 year old shortstops with a 60 grade hit tool this early. Look at the Rays and Adames for a perfect example. Any moves should be within the philosophy of the organization: acquire, develop, and retain young talent.

I don't think the Rays gave up on Adames too early. He couldn't hit there, and while it's difficult to do so, he may have let it get into his head to such a point it was impacting his play. Plus they had Franco to replace him. They almost certainly would have traded Adames in the offseason anyway as they wouldn't have wanted to pay him while having his likely ready replacement on hand. They knew they needed bullpen help so they made a trade they felt would best help them win a championship this year.

I don't think the Rays gave up on Adames too early. He couldn't hit there, and while it's difficult to do so, he may have let it get into his head to such a point it was impacting his play. Plus they had Franco to replace him. They almost certainly would have traded Adames in the offseason anyway as they wouldn't have wanted to pay him while having his likely ready replacement on hand. They knew they needed bullpen help so they made a trade they felt would best help them win a championship this year.

Sure, and I hesitated even putting Adames in there but I figured people would relate to that. It’s only 1 sentence of a much larger point. Turang is a very good young prospect that should not be and will not be just given away.

Sure, and I hesitated even putting Adames in there but I figured people would relate to that. It’s only 1 sentence of a much larger point. Turang is a very good young prospect that should not be and will not be just given away.

Agreed on Turang. I am more than willing to move him if that means getting a top-rated rental like Bryant or somebody like Mancini that can help you for a year+. I do not want him moved, nor expect him to be moved, for just a guy that would be only a marginal upgrade somewhere.

I agree with what you're saying in the overall picture of the franchise but at what point do you take a shot and go for it all? Even if it means trading top minor league talent.

I agree with what you're saying in the overall picture of the franchise but at what point do you take a shot and go for it all? Even if it means trading top minor league talent.

For someone with more than just the rest of the season of control, sure. But not for a pure rental.

I do think sometimes this front office is too caught up in analytics and numbers...they aren't the be all end all. Numbers can say whatever you want them to say. Sometimes you just need to go with instinct, intuition, common sense and your gut.

Once again, there's a reason they're doing this professionally and we're posting on an internet message board. And your part here is baseball straight out of 1997 rather than modern-day thinking. The Brewers are winning with modern-day thinking. Those that are stuck in the old way of doing this are lagging behind.

Archived