Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Aguilar to me is the guy who makes the most sense. If he can be had for a similar package to Cruz maybe a bit less what are we waiting for?? A lineup of Wong Cain Yelich Aguilar Narvrez Garcia Adames Urias is pretty darn good if Cain has anything left in the tank at all. Just getting rid of Bradley and Hiura means that this team has a chance too keep some rallies going.

Aguilar's propensity to be bad/terrible in the 2nd half of seasons scares the hell out of me. Last thing I want to do is give up a big package for a player who is not going to be any improvement on what Hiura is doing.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aguilar to me is the guy who makes the most sense. If he can be had for a similar package to Cruz maybe a bit less what are we waiting for?? A lineup of Wong Cain Yelich Aguilar Narvrez Garcia Adames Urias is pretty darn good if Cain has anything left in the tank at all. Just getting rid of Bradley and Hiura means that this team has a chance too keep some rallies going.

Aguilar's propensity to be bad/terrible in the 2nd half of seasons scares the hell out of me. Last thing I want to do is give up a big package for a player who is not going to be any improvement on what Hiura is doing.

Jesus peaked on May 13th with a 975 OPS over 143 PAs, since then he has posted a 679 OPS over his last 221 PAs.

Kimbrel makes a ton of sense for the Brewers, but will also cost alot to acquire considering he's got another year left on his deal. Plus, pretty much all playoff contenders will be at least interested in trying to trade for him. Late inning relievers having great years are very pricey to trade for at the deadline because they are always coveted.

I really hope what the bucks do has no bearing on the Brewers operation.

Make smart decisions and don't blow all your too prospects on a dumb or bad deal because fans supported the bucks.

Make good deals, if they are there. Don't overpay to chase something and end up buried with no farm for 3-4 years.

There's no doubt that the Brewers are a very well run organization, but if I had to guess whether or not Mark A has interjected his input at times over the years on emotional involvement, my guess would be yes.

Will Sammon with a great article in the Athletic today

https://theathletic.com/2723962/2021/07/22/will-the-playoff-destined-brewers-make-a-trade-bold-enough-to-follow-in-the-bucks-footsteps/

This right here is EXACTLY what i have been saying...Sammon is 100% correct: You play to win the World Series, not just to be pretty good every year. The Brewers’ current situation is ideal — it’s not promised to be that way for long.

The best approach is going for it while you know it’s within reach. Yup!!

The idea of giving yourself as many bites of the apple as you can sounds great in theory, but when has it ever really worked out? Another grand slam by Sammon!

The argument here is that they should. It doesn’t have to be a rental. But it should be the kind of move that takes advantage of the present opportunity: go for it and acquire a missing piece. Such a trade worked out well for another local team that signaled all in. Last November, the Bucks traded Eric Bledsoe, two future first-round draft picks and the right to swap two additional first-round picks for Jrue Holiday. Different sports. Different circumstances. Same general idea. Judging from the parade Thursday, it seems to have worked out well.

No but you also can't "half ass" it when you have a legit chance like they do now. If that's what you are going to do, then what's the point?? You can't rest on your laurels and think "well, IF this happens, or we think this will happen the rest of the way" and HOPE you're right. You also can't run an organization on "we think, and we hope" and not do everything you possibly can to capitalize on an opportunity when it presents itself.

You know what sitting on your hands and "not going big" gets you?? Look at the Packers and the Arodg situation. That's what it gets you. It's a different sport, sure, and I'm not saying a Brewer would be so upset he asks to be traded etc, but...the Packers also had chances to "go for it" under Arodg, and haven't. What has that gotten them?? Meanwhile, the Bucs signed Tom Brady and "went for it", and lo and behold..The Bucks traded 3 first round picks for Jrue Holiday, traded for PJ Tucker etc....they essentially "went for it"..lo and behold. No guarantees of course, but you absolutely HAVE to put yourself in the best position possible when you think you have a chance. If you don't, your doing your organization a huge disservice IMO.

I agree with this take. Packers were in a prime position to go for it after making the NFC Championship and they proceeded to take four rounds of draft capital to select three third stringers. That's because their mentality seems to always be to remain the best team in the division first and foremost not going all in to win a Super Bowl. Bucks took the opposite tact by seemingly overpaying for Holiday, trying to trade for Bogdanovic before that got messed up, etc.

The Brewers are probably in their best position to win a title since 1982. Now it's possible they could be in this exact position next year and the year after but who knows what will happen with the pitching staff in any given year. I think the Brewers should be willing to trade Turang, Hiura, Small or Ashby to get something done. Not saying all those guys should go or they should all be part of a single trade package but there is no guarantee they will be in a better position the rest of the decade.

https://theathletic.com/2723962/2021/07/22/will-the-playoff-destined-brewers-make-a-trade-bold-enough-to-follow-in-the-bucks-footsteps/

This right here is EXACTLY what i have been saying...Sammon is 100% correct: You play to win the World Series, not just to be pretty good every year. The Brewers’ current situation is ideal — it’s not promised to be that way for long.

The idea of giving yourself as many bites of the apple as you can sounds great in theory, but when has it ever really worked out? Another grand slam by Sammon!

The argument here is that they should. It doesn’t have to be a rental. But it should be the kind of move that takes advantage of the present opportunity: go for it and acquire a missing piece. Such a trade worked out well for another local team that signaled all in. Last November, the Bucks traded Eric Bledsoe, two future first-round draft picks and the right to swap two additional first-round picks for Jrue Holiday. Different sports. Different circumstances. Same general idea. Judging from the parade Thursday, it seems to have worked out well.

Sure ... but I think your idea of "swinging for the fences" and others' are probably different. Is grabbing another proven late inning reliever it? Does the bat that they acquire have to be a "name" guy like Rizzo or Bryant? Gallo? Mancini? Would Aguiar suffice?

Also, without the ability to trade future draft picks, comparing the Brewers to the Bucks is like comparing apples and oranges.

I've brought him up before but Kendall Graveman feels like a lower budget move that makes a lot of sense. He's having a great season but prior to this his career as a starter was mediocre to bad, so he doesn't have the longevity of great performance to drive his price too high. I could be wrong about that, the Mariners are in a position to ask for nice pieces in return so it's not a slam dunk either. Stearns might have more under the radar type guys in mind.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Just a couple off the cuff ideas that would be pretty big additions

Brewers acquire Starling Marte

Marlins acquire Tyrone Taylor and Freddy Zamora

Brewers acquire Trey Mancini and Paul Fry

Orioles acquire Adrian Houser, Keston Hiura, and Peyton Henry

The difference is, in the NBA half the teams make the playoffs. It is much harder to win in baseball and make the playoffs. As the 2019 Washington Nationals and other teams can attest to, once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.

Moreover, an NBA or NFL team revenue is not driven by ticket sales as much as it is by television and merchandising. Outside of NY, LA, and Chicago baseball teams are more dependent on ticket sales than broadcast revenue, the demand of which is driven by the quality of the product on the field.

The idea of giving yourself as many bites of the apple as you can sounds great in theory, but when has it ever really worked out?

The Cardinals have made the playoffs 14 times since 2000 & made it to the World Series four times, winning twice.

The Dodgers, with all their resources, needed eight bites at the apple before they finally didn't get the worm.

The Nationals couldn't get out of the NLDS four times before they finally broke through and won it all.

Would you rather be the Cubs, whose "dynasty" is over because they sold off the future for one WS, or the Astros, whose "dynasty" is still going strong because they consistently play the long game?

Community Moderator

The difference is, in the NBA half the teams make the playoffs. It is much harder to win in baseball and make the playoffs. As the 2019 Washington Nationals and other teams can attest to, once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.

Moreover, an NBA or NFL team revenue is not driven by ticket sales as much as it is by television and merchandising. Outside of NY, LA, and Chicago baseball teams are more dependent on ticket sales than broadcast revenue, the demand of which is driven by the quality of the product on the field.

I think the difference between an NBA comparison is the true talent best team is much, much more likely to win in the NBA playoffs as opposed to the MLB playoffs. For the MLB playoffs to have the same “best team advances” equivalency as the NBA, individual playoff series would have to be something like 21+ games. Also, adding one impact player is going to have a greater influence on the outcome of any given NBA game than adding one impact player to an MLB roster can be expected to have.

That’s why the “most possible bites at the apple” theory works better in baseball than it does in any other sport.

Now the flip side of this, and the reason I would support the Brewers taking a big swing this season, is the postseason appears to be lining up in such a way where the NL West teams are going to end up playing a survivor series of sorts (NL Wild Card game, then #1 seed vs WC winner). This seems like a year where things could be lined up nicely for the Brewers to have a legitimate shot at finding their way into the World Series. Anything that can even incrementally help their chances this year might be worth sacrificing some future wins for.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Or you could be the Atlanta Braves and try to make the playoffs ever year during their long run. That was clearly their goal. They basically insisted on having the best 4th and 5th starters in the game for many years. Forget about the bench, forget about the bullpen. Sure it helped them make the playoffs for a long period of time but many of those years they had no realistic shot to win the WS. Perhaps if they allocated their resources better around their big 3 or went all in on occasion they may not have made the playoffs every year but perhaps would have won more than 1 title.

For those without a subscription, here's what that article suggests for who to give up in a trade:

What can they trade of value now? Minor leaguers from the higher levels make sense. Some, like Double-A Biloxi shortstop Brice Turang, are blocked by valuable players under team control, anyway. The Brewers also have a track record of developing pitchers, so trading from their allotment of arms would be sensible, too.

I think we're all in agreement that making a move or two would be great and now's the time to stretch our assets a little further than usual to get a significant piece done, but I don't think this article is saying to trade "whatever it takes, no matter the cost", either.

Between Adames, Urias, and Story who could play the best 1B?

We don't know because none of them have played there, and more than likely will not this year either.

Or who could play the best OF while somebody like Yelich, Garcia, or Taylor plays 1B??

Again, we don't know because none of them have played there, and more than likely will not this year either.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-story-rumors

Turns out I'm not the only one who has had this thought.

Others may interpret this differently, but reading between the lines here...Doesn't seem to me like Stearns is going to do anything big.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2021/07/23/milwaukee-brewers-assess-options-trade-deadline-nears/8070227002/

"Big" in this case is very much in the eye of the beholder. Grabbing a well-known guy, as you are obviously advocating, is definitely not the only key to a successful trade season. As Stearns says, sometimes those under-the-radar moves are the ones that make the most difference. Move such as Pomeranz and Jordan Lyles in the past. Moves that were both panned pretty viciously here, but turned out to be extraordinary.

Others may interpret this differently, but reading between the lines here...Doesn't seem to me like Stearns is going to do anything big.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2021/07/23/milwaukee-brewers-assess-options-trade-deadline-nears/8070227002/

"Big" in this case is very much in the eye of the beholder. Grabbing a well-known guy, as you are obviously advocating, is definitely not the only key to a successful trade season. As Stearns says, sometimes those under-the-radar moves are the ones that make the most difference. Move such as Pomeranz and Jordan Lyles in the past. Moves that were both panned pretty viciously here, but turned out to be extraordinary.

I mean, and it's no offense to anyone here, but a lot of this board are huge analytics nerds. There's nothing wrong with that. But, when it comes to trades, you don't have to know analytics to know that the better of a player(more talented) you acquire, the more likely you are to get better production. Again, there are no guarantees with anything, but for example(and it's JUST an example people), if Team A acquires Vlad Guerrero jr for the stretch run, and team B acquires Eric Sogard, which team is more likely to get better production down the stretch? Now granted, it may not necessarily end up that way, but don't you always want to tilt the odds in your favor as much as possible?? Simple logic.

Please no Aguilar. Yuck.

Mancini would be ideal, but I can't see Baltimore trading him.

Mancini career OPS: .815

Aguilar career OPS: .803

Both have a career OBP of .334. Both have an OPS of .793 this season. Mancini's career K rate is 23%, Aguilar 23.7%.

Both so far appear to have had one year outliers - Aguilar in 2018, Mancini in 2019.

Both are under control for one more year. Mancini is making $4.75M this year, Aguilar $4.3M.

Mancini better not cost a lot more in prospects than Aguilar.

I mean, and it's no offense to anyone here, but a lot of this board are huge analytics nerds. There's nothing wrong with that. But, when it comes to trades, you don't have to know analytics to know that the better of a player(more talented) you acquire, the more likely you are to get better production. Again, there are no guarantees with anything, but for example(and it's JUST an example people), if Team A acquires Vlad Guerrero jr for the stretch run, and team B acquires Eric Sogard, which team is more likely to get better production down the stretch? Now granted, it may not necessarily end up that way, but don't you always want to tilt the odds in your favor as much as possible?? Simple logic.

To be a successful MLB franchise, you either need to be an analytics nerd or have zillions of dollars.

We don't have zillions of dollars.

Archived