Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

I believe 1B/3B was where Gallo played coming up. He's not a 3B anymore, but he graded out well at 1B. They're using him in the OF because he's really, really good out there.

I suspect if we brought in Gallo, we'd ask him to play 1b. We have pretty good defenders out there and nobody that plays 1b for us can hit. It seems a bit wasteful to use him there, but plugging Gallo at 1b makes the lineup so much better. He's so strong he'd get some Adam Dunn type hr here, where he'd clearly get under it but dude is so strong it carries over the short porch in RF.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe 1B/3B was where Gallo played coming up. He's not a 3B anymore, but he graded out well at 1B. They're using him in the OF because he's really, really good out there.

I suspect if we brought in Gallo, we'd ask him to play 1b. We have pretty good defenders out there and nobody that plays 1b for us can hit. It seems a bit wasteful to use him there, but plugging Gallo at 1b makes the lineup so much better. He's so strong he'd get some Adam Dunn type hr here, where he'd clearly get under it but dude is so strong it carries over the short porch in RF.

I'd assume you're right for the remainder of 2021. For 2022, I'd imagine he would take one of the outfield spots, assuming Garcia is gone.

I would be shocked if Stearns paid the price it would take to acquire Gallo and to be honest I don't see him being a Stearns type of player regardless of cost. Could be wrong about it but I think Stearns could have had Gallo in the Lucroy deal and chose Brinson instead.

This team is too lefthanded and really needs a big righthanded hitter when we face lefties. Bryant would really be the perfect target but I don't see that happening.

Agreed, with Bryant's flexibility though he's a great fit for pretty much anyone. Also it's one thing for the Brewers and Cubs to make a trade for Chafin or other inconsequential piece, but to trade for one of the faces of their franchise for the better part of a decade doesn't seem realistic. In general, I would be fairly surprised if we ended up landing one of the top bats on the market. Jose Ramirez or possibly Whit Merrifield seem the most likely. Could also see us bringing back Aguilar.

Szymborski suggested Gallo for Hiura, Small, Howell and Eduardo Garcia. Thoughts on that idea?

I know that might be a lot to give up for 1.5 years of Gallo, but I think I'd sign up for that right now. Honestly though...if you thought that you could get Keston figured out this offseason, I might be more willing to take him out of this package and instead put someone like Mitchell or Turang in the deal instead? Frelick can help replace Mitchell in the organization, and with Adames on hand for a few more years we don't necessarily have much room for Turang anyways (unless if he plays 2B after Wong leaves?).

Szymborski suggested Gallo for Hiura, Small, Howell and Eduardo Garcia. Thoughts on that idea?

Done as long as he's happy playing first.

Edit: Also, Gallo has basically no platoon split. He's very slightly better vs LHP this year and for his career.

In general, I would be fairly surprised if we ended up landing one of the top bats on the market. Jose Ramirez or possibly Whit Merrifield seem the most likely. Could also see us bringing back Aguilar.

Jose Ramirez WOULD be one of the top bats on the market, if not THE top bat.

This team is too lefthanded and really needs a big righthanded hitter when we face lefties. Bryant would really be the perfect target but I don't see that happening.

Agreed, with Bryant's flexibility though he's a great fit for pretty much anyone. Also it's one thing for the Brewers and Cubs to make a trade for Chafin or other inconsequential piece, but to trade for one of the faces of their franchise for the better part of a decade doesn't seem realistic. In general, I would be fairly surprised if we ended up landing one of the top bats on the market. Jose Ramirez or possibly Whit Merrifield seem the most likely. Could also see us bringing back Aguilar.

Ramirez is NOT most likely.........AT ALL!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Holy smokes! Seems like a lot to me but is probably what it will take. Question- for that same package of players, would you rather acquire Mancini?

Verified Member

Too much, in my opinion. Gallo's upside is huge but he's also inconsistent and less valuable if we are moving him to be a full-time 1B. I'm not sure that C.J. Cron doesn't give you similar performance at 1B over the rest of the season.

(Gallo is such a Brewers-ish player he would be fun to watch though. Rich man's Russell Branyan.)

Sounds good to me. Everyone has a price I guess, but for me there's not really a deal involving prospects that'd I'd consider to be "too much" in the Brewer's situation. Honestly, I think there's a rejuvenated window here that most of us likely didn't expect. The Woodruff-Burnes-Peralta trifecta has re-opened a chance even as Yelich has faded. NOW is the time to take another shot. Gallo isn't perfect, and yes he's inconsistent but this group needs more bats and if they get to the playoffs he only needs to be hot for a few weeks for it to matter.

Sign me up :)

In general, I would be fairly surprised if we ended up landing one of the top bats on the market. Jose Ramirez or possibly Whit Merrifield seem the most likely. Could also see us bringing back Aguilar.

Jose Ramirez WOULD be one of the top bats on the market, if not THE top bat.

I can see how that comment is a bit confusing/contradictory.

In the unlikely event that we do land a top bat, I think those 2 would be the most likely(or at least more likely than Bryant/Story/Cruz/etc other top bats). I still think a big splash on the hitting front is unlikely. I think a CJ Cron caliber makes the most sense. If we go big anywhere I think it's relief.

I would be shocked if Stearns paid the price it would take to acquire Gallo and to be honest I don't see him being a Stearns type of player regardless of cost. Could be wrong about it but I think Stearns could have had Gallo in the Lucroy deal and chose Brinson instead.

I would also be somewhat surprised if Stearns & company paid the price for Gallo, but he is definitely their type of player as a multi category contributor who adds value both on the bases and in the field...

Gallo | +17.2 BSR | +14.5 UZR | +27 DRS

Cain | +21.6 BSR | +54.5 UZR | +87 DRS

Yelich | +18.3 BSR | +9.8 UZR | +6 DRS

Wong | +23.8 BSR | +32.6 UZR | +50 DRS

JBJ | +18.4 BSR | +36.5 UZR | +57 DRS

Numbers for Gallo are career through today, numbers for Cain, Yelich, Wong & JBJ are career before being acquired by the Brewers.

Relief pitchers and starting pitchers are going to be at a premium along with players with multiple years of control. Teams that are going to be trading rentals are going to be shocked by the offers they are going to receive. If you are going to be trading a reliever even just an average one you are going to get about double your return on these pitchers. Guys like Kimbrel and others are going to cost a lot for the Brewers to get Kimbrel in a trade it would cost Mitchell, Turang, Ashby and a lower level player. For someone like Bryant or Story it will cost one of Turang, Small or Ashby plus a couple of lower level players.

The demand for pitching in general is really high. Nearly every single team that is competing for a playoff spot needs pitching especially relievers. This is a bad year for the Brewers to need bullpen help as it is going to cost a ton to get that help. I think the Brewers are going to rely on their younger arms that they have in AAA as it is going to be difficult to get a good pitcher. I think if the Brewers are not able to add a relief pitcher someone like Gray from the Rockies will be their top priority as they could put him in the rotation or put him in the bullpen. I wouldn't be surprised if Gray is who they go after in free agency also.

People are going to be shocked when they see the offers and what teams will have to settle for, for the rental players guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Story and others are not going to bring all that much back. The Cubs best asset and who will bring the most back will be Kimbrel and if they put Hendricks on the market will bring back the most for them. Rizzo is the biggest puzzle as he may only bring back one 40+ FV prospect and a couple of lottery tickets. I don't think the Cubs will move Rizzo for that. Bryant is probably the next highest and he should bring back at least one 45 FV prospect and maybe one 40+ FV prospect and some lottery tickets the same for Story.

Now guys with multiple years of control are going to be in higher demand. Guys like Mancini will bring back more than they are actually worth so you are looking at something like at least one 50+ FV player and then one or two in the 45-40+ FV range and a couple of lottery tickets. Players that are going to be pure rentals are going to have very little value going into this trading deadline while pitchers and players with multiple years of control are going to cost a lot. I don't see the Rangers trading Gallo unless they get blown away by an offer which the Brewers currently don't have the prospects to do and nor should they even attempt to. It would cost the Brewers Mitchell, Turang, Small, Ashby and more just to get Gallo.

I think the Brewers are going to play it safe and won't go after the multi year guys and will instead try and steal one of the rentals by moving one of Small or Turang. A relief pitching acquisition maybe out of the question for the Brewers as the price is going to be to high for them to get someone that will provide enough value for what they will have to give up. Watch for the Brewers to target someone like Gray from the Rockies or Kelly from the Dbacks if they are going to go the pitching route. I am more confident the Brewers will go out and get a bat but I think Gray is probably the guy the Brewers go and pick up. There are a lot of innings that the Brewers will need to fill from now and until the end of the season so another starter that they could push to the pen later in the year is who they are going to target. Another target they will probably seek out is someone who can play 1B and 3B so they are able to rotate that player and play the matchups. Bryant is probably the only player who would provide an impact that would be available to do that as I believe Gallo is not a realistic target. Seager is another possibility but he wouldn't be an impact player and the Mariners would have to eat a lot of salary for that to work and I am not sure the Mariners are willing to do that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/nelson-cruz-trade-rumors-twins-national-league.html

Some NL teams are looking into Nelson Cruz. Curious if this is something that the Brewers would kick around.

First base is the one position they seem to not really care all that much about defense.

How much worse could a 41 year old with zero career innings at 1B be than Hiura, Vogelbach, Tellez, Aguilar, Thames, etc, etc?

Guys like Kimbrel and others are going to cost a lot for the Brewers to get Kimbrel in a trade it would cost Mitchell, Turang, Ashby and a lower level player.

That seems like a lot for a reliever that's pretty highly paid. There's obviously added value there, but the price you are talking about is moreso what I'd expect for Hader...not Kimbrel. Aside from the Cubs catastrophic overpay for Chapman, I don't think there's any precedent in the last few years of a team paying that much for a relief pitcher.

That seems like a lot for a reliever that's pretty highly paid. There's obviously added value there, but the price you are talking about is moreso what I'd expect for Hader...not Kimbrel. Aside from the Cubs catastrophic overpay for Chapman, I don't think there's any precedent in the last few years of a team paying that much for a relief pitcher.

The demand for pitching especially relief pitchers is extremely high. All of the teams contending for a spot in the playoffs need relief pitching and pitching in general. This is a sellers market for pitching and a buyers market for positional players. There are far fewer teams that need help on the offensive side compared to the amount of teams that need pitching help.

He's a DH only, though. I'd be very cautious as to how much of his offensive contribution would be wiped out by bad defense, ala Khris Davis or Domingo Santana.

Yep, and Cruz has never played 1B at the major league level far as I can tell - I'd imagine any NL team thinking of adding his bat to the lineup on an everyday basis would have a combination of quite a few road interleague games coming up he can just DH, and a gaping hole at a corner OF position they could stick him out there in.

Brewers should be looking to upgrade 1B with a 1B - there are players available that could make that worthwhile if the Hiura/Vogelbach/Tellez experience continues resembling what the 1H2018 middle infield offensive disaster was until they brought in Moose/Schoop and shifted Shaw over to 2nd at the deadline.

Relief pitchers and starting pitchers are going to be at a premium along with players with multiple years of control. Teams that are going to be trading rentals are going to be shocked by the offers they are going to receive. If you are going to be trading a reliever even just an average one you are going to get about double your return on these pitchers. Guys like Kimbrel and others are going to cost a lot for the Brewers to get Kimbrel in a trade it would cost Mitchell, Turang, Ashby and a lower level player. For someone like Bryant or Story it will cost one of Turang, Small or Ashby plus a couple of lower level players.

The demand for pitching in general is really high. Nearly every single team that is competing for a playoff spot needs pitching especially relievers. This is a bad year for the Brewers to need bullpen help as it is going to cost a ton to get that help. I think the Brewers are going to rely on their younger arms that they have in AAA as it is going to be difficult to get a good pitcher. I think if the Brewers are not able to add a relief pitcher someone like Gray from the Rockies will be their top priority as they could put him in the rotation or put him in the bullpen. I wouldn't be surprised if Gray is who they go after in free agency also.

People are going to be shocked when they see the offers and what teams will have to settle for, for the rental players guys like Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Story and others are not going to bring all that much back. The Cubs best asset and who will bring the most back will be Kimbrel and if they put Hendricks on the market will bring back the most for them. Rizzo is the biggest puzzle as he may only bring back one 40+ FV prospect and a couple of lottery tickets. I don't think the Cubs will move Rizzo for that. Bryant is probably the next highest and he should bring back at least one 45 FV prospect and maybe one 40+ FV prospect and some lottery tickets the same for Story.

Now guys with multiple years of control are going to be in higher demand. Guys like Mancini will bring back more than they are actually worth so you are looking at something like at least one 50+ FV player and then one or two in the 45-40+ FV range and a couple of lottery tickets. Players that are going to be pure rentals are going to have very little value going into this trading deadline while pitchers and players with multiple years of control are going to cost a lot. I don't see the Rangers trading Gallo unless they get blown away by an offer which the Brewers currently don't have the prospects to do and nor should they even attempt to. It would cost the Brewers Mitchell, Turang, Small, Ashby and more just to get Gallo.

I think the Brewers are going to play it safe and won't go after the multi year guys and will instead try and steal one of the rentals by moving one of Small or Turang. A relief pitching acquisition maybe out of the question for the Brewers as the price is going to be to high for them to get someone that will provide enough value for what they will have to give up. Watch for the Brewers to target someone like Gray from the Rockies or Kelly from the Dbacks if they are going to go the pitching route. I am more confident the Brewers will go out and get a bat but I think Gray is probably the guy the Brewers go and pick up. There are a lot of innings that the Brewers will need to fill from now and until the end of the season so another starter that they could push to the pen later in the year is who they are going to target. Another target they will probably seek out is someone who can play 1B and 3B so they are able to rotate that player and play the matchups. Bryant is probably the only player who would provide an impact that would be available to do that as I believe Gallo is not a realistic target. Seager is another possibility but he wouldn't be an impact player and the Mariners would have to eat a lot of salary for that to work and I am not sure the Mariners are willing to do that.

I don't believe that the prices for relievers especially rentals is going to be anywhere near as high as you think. Are we supposed to believe that the same teams that wouldn't put together blockbusters offers for Hader last offseason are going to trade their best prospects for the clearly inferior Kimbrel or any rentals such as Ian Kennedy. The easiest thing to acquire every deadline has been relievers and I expect that to be the case again.

Archived