Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With what Urias has done the last month - OPS .838 (and the last couple weeks have been even better) I just don't see a move for a 3rd baseman. We know other positions that are set - SS, 2b, C, corner OF. That would leave 1st and CF. I don't think we see CF with Cain and JBJ there but maybe. 1b seems by far the most likely.

With the pitching staff my guess is we get one or two bullpen arms but even there we are in pretty good shape. If they can get an 8th inning guy great. Maybe there is a true lefty they could get.

I doubt a rotation arm is coming. Too expensive and not a huge need.

The only other random option is a backup catcher. Pina is so good defensively but his bat is just so bad right now. His OPS the last month is under .500 but he is a back up catcher so not really a position of need.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With what Urias has done the last month - OPS .838 (and the last couple weeks have been even better) I just don't see a move for a 3rd baseman. We know other positions that are set - SS, 2b, C, corner OF. That would leave 1st and CF. I don't think we see CF with Cain and JBJ there but maybe. 1b seems by far the most likely.

With the pitching staff my guess is we get one or two bullpen arms but even there we are in pretty good shape. If they can get an 8th inning guy great. Maybe there is a true lefty they could get.

I doubt a rotation arm is coming. Too expensive and not a huge need.

The only other random option is a backup catcher. Pina is so good defensively but his bat is just so bad right now. His OPS the last month is under .500 but he is a back up catcher so not really a position of need.

I could see them perhaps trading for a starting pitcher, with the intent of moving Houser to the pen. That theoretically would improved two spots. Maybe a package for Jon Gray? I know it's tough to give up a big package for a guy who will essentially be your #4 starter, but with the team wanting to limit innings, they will eventually have to start skipping some Woodruff and Burnes starts like they are doing with Peralta right now.

The Angels desperately need pitching and we need a long-term solution at 1B. I wonder if we could work out a trade for Jared Walsh where Small or Ashby is the headliner on our end?

In the unlikely scenario that the Angels would let him go, I think to get Walsh it would take a lot more than the Brewers would want to part with. I would imagine Mitchell would be the starting point of any conversation with the Angels for Walsh.

The Angels continue to be an absolute mystifying case study. Arguably the two best players in the game, astounding FA money spent on Rendon and Upton, etc, and just a 5% chance to make the playoffs. Because of perception and the money spent on their team I think they may feel pressure not to sell, but they'd have some assets I'd be interested in (like Walsh as suggested above) if they are interested in a sale. Problem is, a cheap, controlled bat like Walsh is the type of asset a team should retain even in a sale.

I could see them perhaps trading for a starting pitcher, with the intent of moving Houser to the pen. That theoretically would improved two spots. Maybe a package for Jon Gray? I know it's tough to give up a big package for a guy who will essentially be your #4 starter, but with the team wanting to limit innings, they will eventually have to start skipping some Woodruff and Burnes starts like they are doing with Peralta right now.

I'm seeing this as a strong possibility as well. The biggest advantage the Brewers have on paper and the leading reason they can win it all is their big 3 come playoff time. But the innings concern has to rank right up there with anything else in terms of team needs as the trade deadline approaches. Protecting that big 3 in the rotation or providing insurance for it just might be the key to the season. Adding another dependable starter and upgrading the back of the rotation checks so many boxes...

- upgrades the back of the rotation and helps the team even if everyone stays healthy

- deepens the bullpen as it shifts a current back end starter to the pen (likely Houser where he has done well)

- could allow them to give breaks to the big 3 without suffering a major dropoff

- provides a potential substitute if god forbid one of the big 3 goes down

- allows them to keep a 6 man rotation in the event one of back 3 is down with an injury (with Anderson this is always a strong possibility)

- if somehow they can add a upper tier LH starter they can balance the top of their rotation

One reliable starter who ranks right behind the big 3 doesn't check all those boxes simultaneously but it does cover a lot of very realistic scenarios.

I'm seeing this as a strong possibility as well. The biggest advantage the Brewers have on paper and the leading reason they can win it all is their big 3 come playoff time. But the innings concern has to rank right up there with anything else in terms of team needs as the trade deadline approaches. Protecting that big 3 in the rotation or providing insurance for it just might be the key to the season. Adding another dependable starter and upgrading the back of the rotation checks so many boxes...

- upgrades the back of the rotation and helps the team even if everyone stays healthy

- deepens the bullpen as it shifts a current back end starter to the pen (likely Houser where he has done well)

- could allow them to give breaks to the big 3 without suffering a major dropoff

- provides a potential substitute if god forbid one of the big 3 goes down

- allows them to keep a 6 man rotation in the event one of back 3 is down with an injury (with Anderson this is always a strong possibility)

- if somehow they can add a upper tier LH starter they can balance the top of their rotation

One reliable starter who ranks right behind the big 3 doesn't check all those boxes simultaneously but it does cover a lot of very realistic scenarios.

If they are in search of a upper-tier lefty starter, there are a few that might be available:

1. John Means - Probably very cost prohibitive because he's very good and still has 3 years of control. He'd be a guy I'd consider putting together a huge package for, though. Probably a pipe dream.

2. Matthew Boyd - Not sure where he's at in his recovery from tendonitis, but he'd be a solid fit.

3. Danny Duffy - Having a terrific season, so might be cost-prohibitive.

4. Jon Lester - Tons of big game pennant race experience, and can probably still give you 5 decent innings a start.

5. Tyler Anderson - Shuts down the Brewers every time they face him, so why not?

6. Madison Bumgarner - The DBacks would obviously need to eat a ton of salary, or take back a bad contract or two (like Cain or JBJ). I don't know if they could make something like that work.

I guess I would expect someone from the Boyd, Lester, Anderson pile, with Duffy an outside possibility, and Bumgarner and especially Means as big longshots.

I guess I would expect someone from the Boyd, Lester, Anderson pile, with Duffy an outside possibility, and Bumgarner and especially Means as big longshots.

At this point in his career, Lester is just a name of somebody who used to be a star. He’s was not good last year, and has been below replacement level this year.

Duffy, believe it or not, has 10/5 rights. Not a road block to a trade but a complicating factor.

Anderson would be a nice pick up, though his spin rates are way down since the ban on substances

Greinke would probably be alright because we do have good defense but he is striking out 2 less per 9 than his career average. Not a great sign for an aging pitcher. But yes, he’s not leaving Houston.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Verified Member
Merrill Kelly could be an interesting value target. He's on the last year of his guaranteed contract with a 2022 club option. Solid mid-rotation SP to take some innings off the shoulders of our top 3.

Merrill Kelly could be an interesting value target. He's on the last year of his guaranteed contract with a 2022 club option. Solid mid-rotation SP to take some innings off the shoulders of our top 3.

Interesting idea. His numbers indicate that he's been hurt this year by the general craptitude of the D-backs overall. $5.25 million cost on the option.

Have to expect a deal or two for relievers who usually come cheap and I still think we need one more legitimate right handed bat most likely for first base. With only Adames, Urias, and Garcia playing everyday we could use one more right handed hitter so we aren't susceptible against lefties.

Looking at pitchers out there, and my god Rich Hill is still pitching!

Rich Hill is fascinating.

From age 30-35, he threw a total of 105 innings in the Big Leagues. He never made more than $1M in a year until he was 36 years old. He's now made $60M over the last six years. Amazing career path.

Not sure what the heck kind of inside info Trevor Plouffe has but he had an interesting quote that was posted on twitter:

Probably a nothingburger. As we've learned here in the past, the Stearns camp rarely is responsible for any info getting out.

If there's any legitimacy to this, it'd be because it was coming from the other side of a deal, IMO.

Sounds like the return of Braun. That’s the only thing it could be.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Not sure what the heck kind of inside info Trevor Plouffe has but he had an interesting quote that was posted on twitter:

Probably a nothingburger. As we've learned here in the past, the Stearns camp rarely is responsible for any info getting out.

If there's any legitimacy to this, it'd be because it was coming from the other side of a deal, IMO.

Totally agree Stearns does not let anything out.

Archived