Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Can Gallo still play 1B? I looked at his games by position, and it looks like he's been pretty much an OF/DH - with no games at 1B since '18 and no games at 3B since '17.

I think Gallo would look like the gold glover of the century compared to Vogelbach/Hiura. Exaggerating, but I don't think he would be bad at all. I don't think his move off of first was due to poor defense.

I think this is right- when you have a guy capable of playing gold glove-level defense in the OF, you don't play him at first.

Sorry - not familiar with Gallo's D. Is he really a gold-glove level OF? I guess I didn't realize that he was that good out there.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry - not familiar with Gallo's D. Is he really a gold-glove level OF? I guess I didn't realize that he was that good out there.

Well, he did win one last year. But yes, in his case it was deserved. His DRS numbers are really good.

I just don't think Gallo to play first is in the cards. He hasn't played there in several years and his defensive metrics overall are actually fairly similar to Hiura's have been this year. He feels RF is his natural position and the defensive metrics bear that out. Just not sure how interested he would be playing 1B again and it might effect his play. A trade in the offseason to replace Garcia would make more sense to me.

Stearns needs to make another move to improve this team he needs to strike before other teams make their moves.

Hasn't he already done that with the Adames trade? I agree he needs to make another move but he can be patient and find the right one

Verified Member

Some murmurs that the Twins would trade Buxton if he doesn't agree to an extension. I'd give up anybody in the system in that trade. The infamous injuries are mostly flukey rather than recurring, and you don't get an opportunity very often to trade for a guy who, when healthy, is a legit top 3 or top 5 player in baseball.

Before anyone says "his career stats aren't that great" - if you had watched Buxton play the last two years, you would know his MVP caliber stats over that time are more than legit.

(The obvious rejoinder is that we already have two elite defensive CF on the roster, but that just makes it more likely in Stearns world :) )

Some murmurs that the Twins would trade Buxton if he doesn't agree to an extension. I'd give up anybody in the system in that trade. The infamous injuries are mostly flukey rather than recurring, and you don't get an opportunity very often to trade for a guy who, when healthy, is a legit top 3 or top 5 player in baseball.

Before anyone says "his career stats aren't that great" - if you had watched Buxton play the last two years, you would know his MVP caliber stats over that time are more than legit.

(The obvious rejoinder is that we already have two elite defensive CF on the roster, but that just makes it more likely in Stearns world :) )

As amazing as Buxton would be, as soon as word gets out that he’s available, I imagine that we’d be outgunned in a hurry by a team with a deeper farm system.

Who's this year's Pomeranz? A pitcher with talent and some past success but currently looking pretty lousy as a starter, who they project as an impact reliever, that's my prediction. Ian Kennedy but before the switch to the pen. Folty? (He was drafted by Astros, so some Stearns connection?) Matt Harvey? Heaney or Bundy from the Angels? I am less engaged in AL teams so I don't really know how any of those guys look this year or their contract status, just throwing spaghetti at the wall.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see no bats added, but if they do I'd imagine a multi-position corner guy...I would have said a lefty bat to complement RHH at 3b/rf/1b but maybe Jace is already that guy? I would be somewhat surprised to see a full time first baseman, but I've come to expect the surprising. I don't really get the Tellez move tbh, especially since they don't seem to want to play him.

Community Moderator

I expect this year’s trade deadline is going to go something like this…

Rumor: “Brewers in the mix for Joey Gallo”

Rumor: “Brewers also engaged in trade discussions with the Marlins for an offensive upgrade, assumed to likely be Jesus Aguilar or Garrett Cooper”

Actual Trade: Brewers acquire Adam Duvall.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

He averages 60 games a year; if the injuries are indeed fluky, the frequency of them is very odd. Moreover part of what makes Buxton good is the way he plays the game, a lot of his sprain and strain injuries likely are proximately caused by that style of play. If he played slower he may not get injured as much but wouldn’t be the same guy either.

More importantly though, I don’t think the Twins have the leverage you believe they do in Buxton. Not only is he constantly down with injuries, he’s out until at least August this year if not later. This it’s no sure thing he will even be ready to help a contender down the stretch.

Moreover he’s a free agent after 2022. The Twins reportedly are only going to trade him if he won’t sign an extension. Thus any potentially interested team would already know he’s likely going to elect free agency in 2022 and therefore the potential return coming back to Minnesota in a trade will be impacted.

I think the Twins make a great trade partner, but I don't see Buxton being the piece.

Taylor Rogers would be the ideal acquisition, but will be costly since he has another year of control. But if the Twins are going to move him they need to move him now because he's a free agent after 2022.

If Rogers is too expensive, there's another ideal piece to add who shouldn't be expensive and it's a familiar name - Caleb Thielbar. Great peripherals this year (12.4 K/9, 2.7 BB/9) and a very nice FIP (3.35). Also had very nice numbers last year and the walks have come down. They need another LHP in the bullpen. Funny thing is, Thielbar is 34 and still has a couple of years of control left.

For Rogers... would you trade Ashby+ (one of Lutz/Rodriguez/Bello)? What about Ashby plus Zamora?

I think the Twins make a great trade partner, but I don't see Buxton being the piece.

Taylor Rogers would be the ideal acquisition, but will be costly since he has another year of control. But if the Twins are going to move him they need to move him now because he's a free agent after 2022.

If Rogers is too expensive, there's another ideal piece to add who shouldn't be expensive and it's a familiar name - Caleb Thielbar. Great peripherals this year (12.4 K/9, 2.7 BB/9) and a very nice FIP (3.35). Also had very nice numbers last year and the walks have come down. They need another LHP in the bullpen. Funny thing is, Thielbar is 34 and still has a couple of years of control left.

For Rogers... would you trade Ashby+ (one of Lutz/Rodriguez/Bello)? What about Ashby plus Zamora?

NO on Ashby for a bullpen rental.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

With the Mets putting deGrom on the IL today I wonder if Washington holds on to their pieces. They're only five back, but have three teams ahead of them and the Wild Card is probably well out of reach.

Too bad if they do, because they have a couple of bullpen pieces in Daniel Hudson and Brad Hand that would look nice in the Brewers bullpen.

Rogers isn't a rental, though - he's under control through 2022.

a 1.5 year rental...lol

Ashby could very well be in our rotation next year, for the next decade.

I don't want to trade him or Small for a guy that we have for 1.5 years.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

a 1.5 year rental...lol

What would you give up for Rogers, and if you were the Twins would you take that?

I'd be very surprised if the Twins couldn't get a top-100 prospect for Rogers or very close to top-100 with one or two other significant pieces. As others have statistically pointed out, he's only a step below Hader.

I'd also be very surprised if Ashby's control and command improve enough to warrant a significant role on the Brewers next year. It would have to be a Burnes-like improvement.

a 1.5 year rental...lol

What would you give up for Rogers, and if you were the Twins would you take that?

I'd be very surprised if the Twins couldn't get a top-100 prospect for Rogers or very close to top-100 with one or two other significant pieces. As others have statistically pointed out, he's only a step below Hader.

I'd also be very surprised if Ashby's control and command improve enough to warrant a significant role on the Brewers next year. It would have to be a Burnes-like improvement.

Not sure what I think of Rogers. He has great control but is actually pretty hittable. Batters have hit .267 against him last two years versus .239 for all relievers. His ERA is only 3.70 last couple of years combined. The Twins don't exactly trust him in the closers position and have never let him run with the job either.

I'm not even 100% convinced they would tender him a contract so I think they have to trade him now. I would be very surprised if they could get a top 100 prospect myself. But a prospect like Ashby might be a reasonable offer. Ashby's control has been poor since 2019 and I wouldn't count on him in the near future either. However, I'd rather hold onto him due to his electric arm and would rather deal somebody like Zamora.

Archived