Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

I do wonder if we are in a situation where

To add a 3B, we need to send back Urias

To add a 1B, we need to send back Hiura and no one wants him

To add a CF, we need to send back Cain/JBJ and therefore a massive prospect haul

Nobody's going to take either Cain or JBJ unless Brewers pay a minimum of 75% of their remaining contracts and they add a really good prospect or Stearns get MA approval to eat a substantial contract. White Sox ate some money to DFA Adam Eaton. Nobody is likely to claim him so he'll become a FA shortly and Brewers would be able to sign him for the minimum. He's been lousy too but he was key member of Nats world championship team in 2019.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue Jays will be really interesting to keep an eye on over the next couple weeks. Current playoff odds are...

39% (BRef, 6th in AL), 34% (538, 7th in AL), 33.9% (FanGraphs, 7th in AL) and 28.4% (PECOTA, 7th in AL).

If they fall far enough back or don't make up enough ground I could see Stearns & company having interest in Marcus Semien.

Plus base runner, plus defender at 2B/SS/3B, 135 wRC+ so far this year with the projections having him in the 113-125 range rest of season, on a one year deal so shouldn't cost much as a rental.

If not this deadline, don't be surprised if they target him in the offseason, especially if his price tag is considerably lower than the other, more marquee SS on the market.

A lot of discussion about him this offseason, and a lot of negativity about him due to his 2020. He's performing so, so well that I'm not sure what you'd need to trade away to get him....

2019: 747 PAs | 138 wRC+

2020 (7/24-8/7): 65 PAs | 24 wRC+

2020 (8/8-9/27): 171 PAs | 117 wRC+

2020 (postseason): 18 PAs | 533/611/733

2021: 394 PAs | 135 wRC+

Semien's 2020 was essentially derailed by two bad weeks to start the season, then he settled in right around where the projections see his true talent level & scorched the earth during a small playoff sample.

Since becoming a regular in 2015 Marcus is at a 109 wRC+, +13.2 on the bases and +36.3 in the field, good for 21.9 WAR (26th in MLB).

If we look at just the more recent time frame of 2019 through now, Marcus is at a 129 wRC+, +6.3 on the bases and +24.3 in the field, good for 12.7 WAR (2nd in MLB behind only Trout).

Who knows if the Blue Jays will actually sell, or what the cost will be if he does, but Marcus definitely seems to check all the boxes Stearns & company typically are interested in.

Blue Jays will be really interesting to keep an eye on over the next couple weeks. Current playoff odds are...

39% (BRef, 6th in AL), 34% (538, 7th in AL), 33.9% (FanGraphs, 7th in AL) and 28.4% (PECOTA, 7th in AL).

If they fall far enough back or don't make up enough ground I could see Stearns & company having interest in Marcus Semien.

Plus base runner, plus defender at 2B/SS/3B, 135 wRC+ so far this year with the projections having him in the 113-125 range rest of season, on a one year deal so shouldn't cost much as a rental.

If not this deadline, don't be surprised if they target him in the offseason, especially if his price tag is considerably lower than the other, more marquee SS on the market.

I don't know about Semien. He would be the 3B, but the cost could be prohibitive. He is having a great year and already making $18M, so I imagine he will be looking at a 3/$60M or more contract. Unless they can peddle JBJ or Cain or Yelich I think his price tag may be too expensive.

I think that you need to think about who will be coming up and what you can get for those not factored in or drafted over.

Frelick and Gray would make a GMitchell trade easier. PHenry was also brought up and since Mario might replace a catcher next year, a PHenry trade could be done. Turang is not going to push Adames out of the way and now we have A LOT of middle infielders to take over for him soon in Biloxi so he could be moved. Lutz is a perennial late summer trading chip as well.

What would GMitchell and then a mix of Turang, Lutz, and Henry bring in return?

It took a LaPorta to get CC

It took Odorizzi to get Grienke

It will take a GMitchell to get a 2021 stud too...nobody wants your JBJs or Pinas now and we need them for clubhouse consistency.

Any team getting Ramirez would be acquiring him for the rest of this season plus two more years for a total of 27 million dollars. Even the Rays could easily afford that deal.

He's put up a 130 wRC+ & 3.0 WAR so far with ZiPS projecting another 2.8 WAR for the rest of this year & then 10.2 WAR over 2022-23.

That is essentially 2 million per WAR, which is even cheaper than arbitration prices, for one of the best players in baseball.

Mitchell, Turang, Ashby, Small probably still couldn't compete with the packages other teams would likely put on the table.

Joey Gallo seems like a really good fit for the Brewers. Big bat but great OBP. I know he would cost a ton of prospect capitol but he also might be the bat to get us over the NL West teams. Seems doubtful that it happens but DS keeps things close to the vest so maybe? We have the big 3 SP needed for short series. Gallo and a bullpen arm or two and I would stack us up against anyone.

Under no circumstances whatsoever would the Braves trade the final two months of control of Freddie Freeman, right?

They clearly cannot get an agreement on an extension done, and aren’t going anywhere this year, so maybe. It sure would be nice to have him at 1B

Under no circumstances whatsoever would the Braves trade the final two months of control of Freddie Freeman, right?

Would Turang and Ashby/Small get it done? I would obviously be all over a Freeman deal, even if it’s just for a couple months. Braves are only 4 games back of first place though so would be surprised if they were sellers.

Freeman cost less than Gallo?

Yes. Gallo is owed less money and has an additional year remaining. That said Freeman projects for over 2 wins for the rest of the season so has about $20M in value (seller's premium) and is owed about $9M. So $11M in excess value. A 45 positional prospect is worth $6M. So Turang and another 45 Brewer prospect should be a fair price.

For Gallo, he has like $17M value this year and another $17-20M next year. Hard to see him being gotten without Mitchell/Ashby unless Texas really wants a whole bunch of quantity.

Freddie's got 10/5 rights too, so he could say something like "I'm gonna need a 5/125 extension to not block the trade" if the Braves do end up trying to deal him.

Wouldn't do any of Mitchell/Ashby/Small, but if Turang plus a couple lower level guys gets it done I'd probably pull the trigger.

Can Gallo still play 1B? I looked at his games by position, and it looks like he's been pretty much an OF/DH - with no games at 1B since '18 and no games at 3B since '17.

I think Gallo would look like the gold glover of the century compared to Vogelbach/Hiura. Exaggerating, but I don't think he would be bad at all. I don't think his move off of first was due to poor defense.

Can Gallo still play 1B? I looked at his games by position, and it looks like he's been pretty much an OF/DH - with no games at 1B since '18 and no games at 3B since '17.

I think Gallo would look like the gold glover of the century compared to Vogelbach/Hiura. Exaggerating, but I don't think he would be bad at all. I don't think his move off of first was due to poor defense.

I think this is right- when you have a guy capable of playing gold glove-level defense in the OF, you don't play him at first.

Archived