Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Community Moderator
Yeah, the way this team is constructed, a BOR-type guy isn't really what they need. Either acquire a guy that pushes one of our existing BOR guys out (ala Houser to the pen, etc.), which is much more costly and probably not a good use of resources, or address other issues.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, the way this team is constructed, a BOR-type guy isn't really what they need. Either acquire a guy that pushes one of our existing BOR guys out (ala Houser to the pen, etc.), which is much more costly and probably not a good use of resources, or address other issues.

I think Small may push Houser to the bullpen where I think he can be of better use.

Community Moderator

I think Small may push Houser to the bullpen where I think he can be of better use.

I'm of the opinion that a first-place Brewers team making a push for the playoffs won't hand a rotation spot to a guy making his MLB debut, barring an injury.

Small won't be pushing anyone to the bullpen this season. If he pushes anyone to the bullpen it would be Lauer. Houser is fine as the 4th/5th starter as he is basically your prototypical 4th/5th starter. Until the Brewers don't need a 4th/5th starter Houser can stay in the rotation once late September and the playoffs come around then Houser can be moved to the bullpen.

Small will more than likely be in the bullpen like Burnes and Woodruff were when they came up in 2018. If Small is making a start it is because someone is injured or the Brewers need a 6th starter and Lauer pitched recently.

Between Adames, Urias, and Story who could play the best 1B?

We don't know because none of them have played there, and more than likely will not this year either.

Or who could play the best OF while somebody like Yelich, Garcia, or Taylor plays 1B??

Again, we don't know because none of them have played there, and more than likely will not this year either.

Thank you for that. It’s a message board man you’re allowed to have some fun.

Stearns has constantly shown he thinks outside the box, so as a fan its fun to try to theorize how he could be looking at upgrading the team. Oh and before you tell me how unrealistic it is go look up how many starts at 2B Mike Moustakas had before his Brewers career.

. Caleb Smith (L), D-Backs: Actually as a spot or split game starter, too.

2. Jose Ciserno ®, Tigers: Older player who should come relatively cheap.

3. Ian Kennedy ®, Rangers: Older player who should com relatively cheap.

4. John Sobrz ®, Rangers: Texas should be dumping players for prospects and Sobrz has great numbers.

5. Hansel Robles ®: Older player who should come cheap.

6-7. Scott Barlow ® and Jake Brentz (L), Royals: Cost controlled, Kansas City may be asking for quite a bit.

8-9. Paul Fry ® and Tanner Scott (L), Orioles: See Barlow and Brentz.

10. Richard Rodriguez ®, Pirates: I see a bidding war at the player deadline.

Chris Stratton-- Pirates. Nice pitcher controllable piece.

Tyler Anderson--Pirates. Another nice pitcher, pure rental.

Andrew Chafin--Cubs. Probably due for some regression, nice pitcher, pure rental. Will the Cubs sell?

Michael Fulmer--Tigers. Swingman type for length. Pure rental.

Kendall Graveman--Mariners. Can go more than an inning, pure rental

Chad Green--Yankees. Controllable piece.

There are a lot of reasons to look for SPs who could move to the bullpen. We’ve had success in the past, and this year there should be less concern of running out of gas at the end of the year I would think.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Community Moderator
Tyler Anderson--Pirates. Another nice pitcher, pure rental.

This would fit one recent Brewers demographic, having a roster full of guys taken in the first few rounds of the 2011 MLB Draft. Anderson was the #20 overall selection in 2011.

Current list includes…

Kolten Wong (#22)

Jake Hager (#32) - Was in Nashville earlier this season

Jackie Bradley Jr. (#40)

Jace Peterson (#58)

Daniel Vogelbach (#68)

Adrian Houser (#69)

Brandon Woodruff (#174) - Did not sign

Derek Fisher (#204) - Did not sign

Ray Black (#237)

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I want to preface my statement by saying by no means is this a trade I expect to happen at the deadline or even happen period; THIS IS JUST PURE WILD FUN. With that being said, is it possible the Brewers trade from a position of depth like Starting Pitching this offseason for a young controllable 3rd baseman. Peralta is locked up so that would rule him out IMO and Burnes and Woodruff each have 3 years of control after this year. With an extension for both probably unlikely, I'm thinking of a kind of trade the Rays philosophy supports, which is to trade at maximum value, bare with me cause this is wild. Burnes and Hiura for Wander Franco. Yeah, it's completely nuts but Hiura would be best at DH and Burnes and Glasnow would be a fantastic 1-2 punch, probably the best in baseball. For the Brewers they now have a long term solution at 3rd. Baseball Trade Value has the Rays getting 134 value while the Brewers would get back 125 in Franco.

Please be easy on me guys haha.

I just don’t understand what this accomplishes? It makes us a worse overall team. Pitching wins. Yes, you need offense. But pitching in the end wins. We finally have it. We are winning. And now we trade it away? Sorry, no.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I want to preface my statement by saying by no means is this a trade I expect to happen at the deadline or even happen period; THIS IS JUST PURE WILD FUN. With that being said, is it possible the Brewers trade from a position of depth like Starting Pitching this offseason for a young controllable 3rd baseman. Peralta is locked up so that would rule him out IMO and Burnes and Woodruff each have 3 years of control after this year. With an extension for both probably unlikely, I'm thinking of a kind of trade the Rays philosophy supports, which is to trade at maximum value, bare with me cause this is wild. Burnes and Hiura for Wander Franco. Yeah, it's completely nuts but Hiura would be best at DH and Burnes and Glasnow would be a fantastic 1-2 punch, probably the best in baseball. For the Brewers they now have a long term solution at 3rd. Baseball Trade Value has the Rays getting 134 value while the Brewers would get back 125 in Franco.

The Rays wouldn't even entertain the trade.

The Rays wouldn't even entertain the trade.

Maybe not, but the Brewers are actually giving up more and when you consider it's a proven commodity for an unproven with the highest of ceilings. Again, this is just fun. Seems like that is frowned upon these days.

I just don’t understand what this accomplishes? It makes us a worse overall team. Pitching wins. Yes, you need offense. But pitching in the end wins. We finally have it. We are winning. And now we trade it away? Sorry, no.

The thought behind the trade is that we will not be able to resign both Woodruff and Burnes, moving one of them at peak value this offseason would allow you to acquire a premier bat and fill a massive hole in the lineup while still having the ability to sign a free agent pitcher. Stearns has continuously stated, acquire and develop young controllable talent. The other part however is to retain said talent. I would obviously rather keep Burnes but It's no different then you all speculating moving Hader for literally 100 pages over the last 3 years.. it's fun and not serious.

The thought behind the trade is that we will not be able to resign both Woodruff and Burnes, moving one of them at peak value this offseason would allow you to acquire a premier bat and fill a massive hole in the lineup while still having the ability to sign a free agent pitcher. Stearns has continuously stated, acquire and develop young controllable talent. The other part however is to retain said talent. I would obviously rather keep Burnes but It's no different then you all speculating moving Hader for literally 100 pages over the last 3 years.. it's fun and not serious.

Then trade him for more pitching if that’s what you’re worried about. But I would focus on winning while we have these arms. It may be our only window.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think it's a bad or unfair deal, I just don't think it makes a ton of sense for either side. Tampa dealt Adames I think with the intent of Franco being their guy there. Meanwhile, with the emergence of Adames and the performance of Urias we are pretty well set in the infield everywhere except 1st for a couple years.

Woodruff and Burnes are still controlled for 3 and a half more years each. Plenty of time to think about moving either if it comes to that at some point, but mid-season 2021 when we've been riding them to a big division lead isn't the time.

I don't think it's a bad or unfair deal, I just don't think it makes a ton of sense for either side. Tampa dealt Adames I think with the intent of Franco being their guy there. Meanwhile, with the emergence of Adames and the performance of Urias we are pretty well set in the infield everywhere except 1st for a couple years.

Woodruff and Burnes are still controlled for 3 and a half more years each. Plenty of time to think about moving either if it comes to that at some point, but mid-season 2021 when we've been riding them to a big division lead isn't the time.

Very fair. It was more of a mid day discussion with no other place to post it. Hey, people have been talking about trading Hader on here for years.

Trading relief arms is different than starters.

For Burnes or Woodruff, you should be able to fill several spots with pretty good talent. Not now, though. We all want to add on this year to give us a pretty good shot for playoffs and more.

I could see us doing this this offseason. It would be a very Tampa thing to do to restock for more young pitching, fill a hole in the lineup, and to manage all the arby increases next year.

I think it's clear the Brewers need to add a bat, where exactly I'm not sure but if I'm Stearns I try and add the best bat I can and figure out how to align defensively and playing time later

I think it's clear the Brewers need to add a bat, where exactly I'm not sure but if I'm Stearns I try and add the best bat I can and figure out how to align defensively and playing time later

I don't see any reason to add a bat for RF-2B-SS-C and take those bats out of the lineup. I think the most obvious need is at 1B, by far. Hiura has whiffed 26 times in his last 64 PAs. He belongs in AAA. CF has been beyond awful, but the Brewers have so much money tied up in JBJ and Cain it makes it hard to add a 3rd CF and have both those guys on the bench. LF would be next because Yelich is only a shadow of his former self. While .233 with only 5 HRs and 24 RBIs doesn't come close to what the Brewers are paying him for, they owe him so much money it's almost impossible to take him out of the lineup.

I do wonder if we are in a situation where

To add a 3B, we need to send back Urias

To add a 1B, we need to send back Hiura and no one wants him

To add a CF, we need to send back Cain/JBJ and therefore a massive prospect haul

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Archived