Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There’s a similarity to all of these proposals: identify a target that can help the team, then denigrate the target player so it makes sense to propose acquiring them for garbage.

I’m sure Moran is available but with him not being a free agent until after 2022 he’s not likely going to be traded this year absent a killer offer and certainly not for a pile of crap from Milwaukee

That is what happens on this board though.

Years ago I pitched a trade around Scooter Gennett et al. for Hunter Renfroe and was scalded for not giving enough in return for our lefty hitting scrub 2B. Overvaluing of our own guys (AKelly and his shoulder) and belittling others' is the default here. Another thing is the on going love affair with former Brewers or those that once stopped at a Culvers. I don't get it.

Community Moderator
That is what happens on this board though. Years ago I pitched a trade around Scooter Gennett et al. for Hunter Renfroe and was scalded for not giving enough in return for our lefty hitting scrub 2B. Overvaluing of our own guys (AKelly and his shoulder) and belittling others' is the default here.

You did?

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=34124

There’s a similarity to all of these proposals: identify a target that can help the team, then denigrate the target player so it makes sense to propose acquiring them for garbage.

I’m sure Moran is available but with him not being a free agent until after 2022 he’s not likely going to be traded this year absent a killer offer and certainly not for a pile of crap from Milwaukee

Years ago I pitched a trade around Scooter Gennett et al. for Hunter Renfroe and was scalded for not giving enough in return for our lefty hitting scrub 2B. Overvaluing of our own guys (AKelly and his shoulder) and belittling others' is the default here. Another thing is the on going love affair with former Brewers or those that once stopped at a Culvers. I don't get it.

That "scrub" 2nd baseman put up OPS+ numbers of 123 and 125 in 2017 and 2018 in which he was an All Star. Renfroe's best OPS+ season was 120. Had Gennett not suffered a severe groin injury in spring of 2019 which derailed his career, he might still be producing. Perhaps he was overvalued but releasing him and getting nothing back was undervaluing him.

The beauty is we still have 3-4 weeks to figure out what Hiura and Urias are. One should be skeptical of Hiura for obvious reasons, but even Urias doesn't really have a track record of success. Urias has had a stellar month, but it wasn't long ago we traded for Adames and Stearns somewhat hinted Urias was going to be a utility guy.

If the deadline was today though, we probably wouldn't be adding a major bat at 1B or 3B. I hope it turns out to be that way, but the team is on a big hot streak right now...things can appears rosier than they will be in the long run.

Community Moderator
That is what happens on this board though. Years ago I pitched a trade around Scooter Gennett et al. for Hunter Renfroe and was scalded for not giving enough in return for our lefty hitting scrub 2B. Overvaluing of our own guys (AKelly and his shoulder) and belittling others' is the default here.

You did?

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=34124

Here’s another reference to being blasted about the Scooter-Renfroe trade idea, but I can’t find the original proposal or blasting being alleged:

And to think that I got blasted for offering MReed, Gennett, and Fiers for Hunter Renfroe...sheesh...

Is it possible you’re conflating it with the reaction to your Hunter Renfroe for Jean Segura, Mike Fiers and Michael Reed proposal (Link)?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator
The beauty is we still have 3-4 weeks to figure out what Hiura and Urias are. One should be skeptical of Hiura for obvious reasons, but even Urias doesn't really have a track record of success. Urias has had a stellar month, but it wasn't long ago we traded for Adames and Stearns somewhat hinted Urias was going to be a utility guy.

If the deadline was today though, we probably wouldn't be adding a major bat at 1B or 3B. I hope it turns out to be that way, but the team is on a big hot streak right now...things can appears rosier than they will be in the long run.

I think you're 100% correct about an additional 'audition period' of sorts for 3B/1B. I just really don't buy Hiura as our best option for 1B THIS YEAR, which makes me wonder if they'd be ultra-interested in a guy like Gallo who could assist him there this year, is around in his last arby year next year to either play there if Hiura fails or slots into whatever OF role they need. He really seems to be an ideal target, playing for a team that would probably be interested in moving him this deadline.

Plays good defense, has positional flexibility, not overly costly payroll-wise, and is pretty good insurance for both potential issues at 1B and the OF.... seems like a great fit to me.

Community Moderator

RE: Gallo…

Remember the rumors about the Brewers having strong interest in Eddie Rosario, but needing him to be open to also playing 1B? I feel like it could be a very similar situation with Gallo. If they want to add a true impact bat at the deadline it feels more and more like Joey Gallo’s their best option.

It seems like saying Moran would be an upgrade if Hiura returns to his early season form while simultaneously being a non-tender candidate is more a comment on how bad the Brewers’ first base situation would be in that scenario than some attempt to justify a cheap trade. Slightly over replacement level first basemen haven’t been getting paid.

I'm not against acquiring Gallo but its going to be expensive and I don't know how much we should be willing to pay. If the main piece going back is Turang its probably worth doing but I wouldn't want to give up Mitchell, Small, or Ashby.

Verified Member

My #1 dream target at this point would be Taylor Rogers from Minnesota.

Our offense has rebounded enough already that I would feel pretty good going into a playoff series with Burnes-Woodruff-Peralta backed up by Hader-Rogers-Williams :)

I'm not against acquiring Gallo but its going to be expensive and I don't know how much we should be willing to pay. If the main piece going back is Turang its probably worth doing but I wouldn't want to give up Mitchell, Small, or Ashby.

I guess to each their own but I see Turang being more valuable than Small or Ashby at this point and probably close to the same as Mitchell.

I guess to each their own but I see Turang being more valuable than Small or Ashby at this point and probably close to the same as Mitchell.

With Adames firmly entrenched at shortstop and the lack of pop in Turangs bat I am more than ok moving him in a deal.

With Adames firmly entrenched at shortstop and the lack of pop in Turangs bat I am more than ok moving him in a deal.

Turang is likely more of a 2nd baseman than SS. Profiled a bit better there.

Kind of interesting that Ray didn't make our latest top 42 prospect list so we can stop throwing him in hypothetical trades now
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Adames slugged .415 (21 yr) and .412 (22 yr) in AAA. Turang is slugging .418

Development takes time. Maybe it next happens but you just gotta let these guys develop to know.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Adames slugged .415 (21 yr) and .412 (22 yr) in AAA. Turang is slugging .418

Development takes time. Maybe it next happens but you just gotta let these guys develop to know.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Kind of interesting that Ray didn't make our latest top 42 prospect list so we can stop throwing him in hypothetical trades now

Sad that Ray never put it together. Lots of loud tools, but the hit tool never showed up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I would love to see the team give Ethan Small a chance come August. He's got to improve his command - but he seems like he could be really a good addition.

To me, Houser is an okay back-of-the-rotation arm - but nothing more at this point.

Community Moderator
I could see us being interested in a Ray Durham/Jerry Hairston Jr. type for 1B/3B where when the going gets tough we have someone who has "been there before."

That Jerry Hairston Jr. trade ended up being low-key pretty solid.

Closest in-season “veteran presence” position player acquisitions they’ve made during Stearns tenure are Neil Walker and Curtis Granderson. Both of those worked out well, but if they are going to add a veteran hitter to this current roster I think it would need to be someone that maintains positional flexibility because their roster spot would likely replace someone like Daniel Robertson.

I could see us being interested in a Ray Durham/Jerry Hairston Jr. type for 1B/3B where when the going gets tough we have someone who has "been there before."

Closest in-season “veteran presence” position player acquisitions they’ve made during Stearns tenure are Neil Walker and Curtis Granderson. Both of those worked out well, but if they are going to add a veteran hitter to this current roster I think it would need to be someone that maintains positional flexibility because their roster spot would likely replace someone like Daniel Robertson.

Asdrubal Cabrera? .241/.343/.400 plays 1B, 2B, 3B and SS. Would be an excellent depth piece and has a ring and over 100 at bats in the post season

Asdrubal Cabrera? .241/.343/.400 plays 1B, 2B, 3B and SS. Would be an excellent depth piece and has a ring and over 100 at bats in the post season

I came here to suggest Carlos Santana but this makes a lot of sense. Asdrubal in the clubhouse would not overshadow Hiura like a 1B plug-in would and would allow a hot bat to still start without demanding that Cabrera gets at bats to justify the trade. Return would not be prohibitive, I would think.

Archived