Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don’t want Urias, Adames, or Wong to ever be out of the lineup. No thanks to Escobar.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's being reported by a couple sources, though not confirmed by many, that Escobar is headed to the White Sox.

And I’m totally ok with that as I don’t think Escobar moves the needle all that much. I’m pretty good with Urias at 3B for now. Unless you get a clearly obvious upgrade over Urias, I would use our trade assets to acquire a reliever or 1B.

How about Starling Marte? Free agent after this year, 2.3 WAR player so far this year, with good on base skills and defense.

We have been focusing on corner infield possibilities and rightly so, but adding him may be exactly what the team needs , especially if Hiura and Urias do the job at the corners.

Community Moderator

Looking back at the past few full seasons in which they were competing, they’ve always added players.

In 2017, they were 44-39 on July 1st and had a 3.0 game division lead on the Cubs. They added Anthony Swarzak (July 26), Jeremy Jeffress (July 31), and Neil Walker (August 12) via trade.

In 2018, they were 48-35 on July 1st and had a 0.5 game division lead on the Cubs. They added Joakim Soria (July 26), Mike Moustakas (July 27), Jonathan Schoop (July 31), Xavier Cedano (August 31), Curtis Granderson (August 31), and Gio Gonzalez (August 31). They had also traded for Brad Miller on June 10.

In 2019, they were 46-39 on July 1st and had a 1.0 game division lead on the Cubs. They added Jordan Lyles (July 29), Jake Faria (July 31), Drew Pomeranz (July 31), and Ray Black (July 31).

A few takeaways…

They’ve always done something when they were contending in a 162-game season.

In each of those seasons they didn’t make a July trade until the last week before the deadline with the 26th being the earliest July date. Reminder that this year’s trade deadline is actually July 30th instead of the 31st.

Relievers have been the most frequent addition they’ve made.

They added several players in the past via August’s revocable trade waivers, but I believe that is no longer an option.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

How about Starling Marte? Free agent after this year, 2.3 WAR player so far this year, with good on base skills and defense.

We have been focusing on corner infield possibilities and rightly so, but adding him may be exactly what the team needs , especially if Hiura and Urias do the job at the corners.

I agree that we really do need to take a look at CF. We really have three positions that are underperforming offensively.

Bref is my least favorite WAR calculation but I am not talented enough to pull "just positional data" from the other sites anyway...

1B 29th in Bref WAR

3B 25th in Bref WAR

CF 26th in Bref WAR

I do feel like maybe you let it ride at CF with Cain/Bradley Jr. because it is one position and a very important defensive one at that. While you can probably acquire someone who can fill in on the infield.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Marte would be great, but he fits for a lot of teams - meaning he won't be cheap - even if he's just a half-season rental. I'm thinking someone like Ashby - maybe another lower level prospect - would be the cost. Of course, someone else might outbid us. Such is life.

I would see if can get Mycheal Givens from the Rox. They are in sell mode and he has been a high end reliever before. He would add more depth to the bullpen.

I could see a Bettinger type working for the Rockies possibly. I would not hate a Story and Givens package either. Story could play 3rd and Urias fills in across the infield playing nearly everyday. I would think Feliciano (if Henry has passed him in org's eyes), Bettinger and a guy like Weimer may get it done.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Looks like the Marlins are open for business.

Aguilar continues to make all too much sense for the Brewers. Competent defense at first with a thumper-type bat that they seem to need this year.

Shouldn't we try to determine if this Hiura resurgence is real first, though?

Aguilar continues to make all too much sense for the Brewers. Competent defense at first with a thumper-type bat that they seem to need this year.

Don't see Aguilar as a fit, mostly because he is 1B only, but also because he started out hot with a 975 OPS over 143 PAs through May 13th, but since then he has posted a 588 OPS over 148 PAs dropping his season total 200 points down to 773.

Ideally with Urias as the starting 3B & backup SS/2B, plus the uncertainty around Hiura, a fifth IF who could play 1B/3B would give two deep coverage at each spot before having to resort to the Peter/Robertsons of the world.

As it relates to the Marlins, its not a perfect fit since he isn't really a 1B, but Miguel Rojas pretty much fits the mold of a Stearns & company guy to a T.

Primarily a plus SS (+21 DRS / +26.6 UZR in 3826 innings), has also graded out plus at 3B (+6 DRS / +5.6 UZR in 541 innings) and 2B (+3 DRS / +3.6 UZR in 312 innings).

Might not look impressive with a career 88 wRC+, but has posted a 109 so far this year (Aguilar is 112) and a 142 last year for a 122 mark over his last 372 PAs. ZiPs isn't completely buying it, but still projects him at a 103 wRC+ moving forward.

Also rarely strikes out with a 56 K%+, a top ten mark since 2019.

Top it all off & he is a free agent at the end of the season so the acquisition cost should be low. *EDIT* whoops, looks like 5.5 million team option for 2022 that Miguel is on track to guarantee with a vesting PA clause, so might have to give up a little something, if the Marlins are even interested in dealing him.

Don't see Aguilar as a fit, mostly because he is 1B only, but also because he started out hot with a 975 OPS over 143 PAs through May 13th, but since then he has posted a 588 OPS over 148 PAs dropping his season total 200 points down to 773.

______

Might not look impressive with a career 88 wRC+, but has posted a 109 so far this year (Aguilar is 112) and a 142 last year for a 122 mark over his last 372 PAs. ZiPs isn't completely buying it, but still projects him at a 103 wRC+ moving forward.

Thanks for the clarity on Aguilar's #'s, hadn't looked at his recent splits.

I do like Rojas's flexibility, but much of his offensive value comes because he plays SS- he really doesn't have the thump you want at 1B/3B, especially with Urias also less of a power bat but getting a chunk of 3B ABs.

In a perfect world he’d be a righty bat, but Joey Gallo would be a versatile power bat. He could immediately play a lot of CF and 1B and take over RF next year. Maybe they’d get cheeky give him some time at 3B too.

For what it’s worth, baseballtradevalues had a close value for Gallo and Ian Kennedy in exchange for Tuarang, Frliciano, and Tyrone Taylor

The Marlins have just started breaking up their team by shedding payroll sending Adam Cimber (925K) and Corey Dickerson (8.5 million) to Toronto for Joe Panik (1.85 million) and low level minor league pitcher Andrew McInvale.

Even though Hiura has had a few nice games, now is probably the time to make a move for Jesus if they're interested.

For the way Gallo's bat plays, I had always assumed for some reason that he wasn't very good defensively. He's actually a really solid OF.

Yup. +25 by DRS & +22.2 UZR in 2748 career OF innings.

Also +17 on the bases per FanGraphs / +10 per BRef for his career so Gallo has added solid value with his legs for a 6'5", one eighth ton 3TO guy too.

Gallo is a gold glove RFer so he's a very solid defender with a cannon for an arm along with good speed. But he was horrible at 1B and 3B and is on record saying he never wants to play in the infield again. So while he might be a nice piece to add, it's not because he'd be a good corner IF option.

Archived