Brewer Fanatic

Prospective trade deadline targets?

So while it's still incredibly early, I think we do know of a handful of teams that will definitely be sellers, and I feel pretty confident in saying, unless something catastrophic happens before the deadline, we will be buying.

So what would we be looking for? I think we'll definitely add a pen arm, maybe two, short term rental types. I expect this regardless of whether or not the pen shows improvement before July. Perhaps the strength of the buys will depend on that, though.

I am not really sure on prospective bullpen names just yet-- I would imagine if the Cubs are sellers this year, Kimbrel will be the biggest name available. But I think there are just too many hurdles for that to happen -- being in the division being the biggest, but also his '22 salary which I'm sure we wouldn't want to take on all of. Kimbrel's value is tough to peg.

A team to watch is the Tigers. They'll sell, I assume, and they have some really interesting targets for us. I think either or both of Boyd or Fulmer could be available. If they're breaking out again, they could be a really good buy and you'd have them for '22 as well. This could push Houser back to the pen and improve both our rotation and pen at the same time.

Depending on how things shake up with Shaw this year, Candelario is another Tiger I'd be interested in.

Obviously still very early to know how things will look in July but I have no doubt the front office is doing their due diligence on numerous potential targets.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So while it's still incredibly early, I think we do know of a handful of teams that will definitely be sellers, and I feel pretty confident in saying, unless something catastrophic happens before the deadline, we will be buying.

So what would we be looking for? I think we'll definitely add a pen arm, maybe two, short term rental types. I expect this regardless of whether or not the pen shows improvement before July. Perhaps the strength of the buys will depend on that, though.

I am not really sure on prospective bullpen names just yet-- I would imagine if the Cubs are sellers this year, Kimbrel will be the biggest name available. But I think there are just too many hurdles for that to happen -- being in the division being the biggest, but also his '22 salary which I'm sure we wouldn't want to take on all of. Kimbrel's value is tough to peg.

A team to watch is the Tigers. They'll sell, I assume, and they have some really interesting targets for us. I think either or both of Boyd or Fulmer could be available. If they're breaking out again, they could be a really good buy and you'd have them for '22 as well. This could push Houser back to the pen and improve both our rotation and pen at the same time.

Depending on how things shake up with Shaw this year, Candelario is another Tiger I'd be interested in.

Obviously still very early to know how things will look in July but I have no doubt the front office is doing their due diligence on numerous potential targets.

While I can understand the Tigers dealing Boyd/ Fulmer (the Tigers have other pitchers ready to pitch at MLB), I am trying to understand why the Tigers deal Candelario... He is not expensive & is under team control for 2 more season after this one.

Before responding I tried to figure out how Detroit would back-fill Candelarios departure. The 1 in-house option (Isaac Paredes) might be ready for another chance in MLB but I was not impressed with what I saw from Isaac P last summer.

While I can understand the Tigers dealing Boyd/ Fulmer (the Tigers have other pitchers ready to pitch at MLB), I am trying to understand why the Tigers deal Candelario... He is not expensive & is under team control for 2 more season after this one.

Before responding I tried to figure out how Detroit would back-fill Candelarios departure. The 1 in-house option (Isaac Paredes) might be ready for another chance in MLB but I was not impressed with what I saw from Isaac P last summer.

Yeah, you may be right. I was more just looking at Candelario from our perspective as a guy we might be interested in, but the Tigers might not have interest in dealing him. Boyd or Fulmer seem like guys they could move, though. Boyd would be my preference between the two.

Some of these possible trade targets are probably not realistic for one reason or another but here is a list I could come up with for bats. Still way too early to predict who won't and will be available and their value. Schwarber and Bell may not be available if the Nationals are in it but I don't think they will. 1B probably has the best options offensively with Rizzo probably costing the most prospects wise. At 3B you have some nice options but no one I would give the farm away for. Bryant is probably the best option at 3B but I would be concerned if he could stay healthy.

1B:

Josh Bell, Kyle Schwarber, Trey Mancini, Anthony Rizzo, C.J. Cron

3B:

Kris Bryant, Kyle Seager, Jeimer Candelario

For a Bryant trade to work I think a fair trade would be Lutz and Bettinger. I don't think the Cubs would go for that but Bryant's value probably won't be all that much come the trade deadline. The Cubs biggest asset is probably going to be either Rizzo or Hendricks. Rizzo will probably have a more depressed market as there won't be that many teams looking for a 1B. Maybe the Yankees come calling for Rizzo but I wouldn't expect a top 20 prospect in return the Cubs may only get a 50-100 type player for Rizzo plus a couple in the 150-200 range. Hendricks if he is healthy and pitching well should bring back the most for the Cubs but that means they are in full on rebuild mode and should sell of their next best assets in Contreras and Happ. Happ and Contreras though may have more value in the off season so I wouldn't expect either of them to be traded.

For the Brewers the biggest question marks and chances to improve are at 1B, 3B and RP. I think the Brewers will add someone like Seager if Shaw is struggling during the deadline and maybe someone like Schwarber to platoon at 1B with Hiura if he is still struggling. Otherwise maybe another utility infielder type will be added. Another option would be to empty the farm for Chapman. I am not sure the Brewers even have the players the A's would want in a Chapman deal to be honest.

For relief pitching there is Rosenthal, Swarzak, enter any other reliever here. It is way too early to predict the RP market for trades but I think Swarzak would be someone on the Brewers radar along with Rosenthal if the A's are out of it.

The Rays are still trying to sell off a couple of infielders. Both Wendle and Brosseau are available and IMO could be had for relatively cheap. Both would be upgrades over Robertson or Peterson.

Links to rumors or any mention of this?

The Rays have Kevin Padlo who hit .290/.400/.995 in AAA waiting for an opening. They also have Brujan, Walls, and of course, baseball's #1 prospect Wander Franco waiting for a spot. Brosseau is their 3rd option at 3B, 2B, 1B and Wendle is the second or 3rd option at SS, 2B, 3B.

The Rays have Kevin Padlo who hit .290/.400/.995 in AAA waiting for an opening. They also have Brujan, Walls, and of course, baseball's #1 prospect Wander Franco waiting for a spot. Brosseau is their 3rd option at 3B, 2B, 1B and Wendle is the second or 3rd option at SS, 2B, 3B.

I still doubt either could be had for cheap.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Rays are still trying to sell off a couple of infielders. Both Wendle and Brosseau are available and IMO could be had for relatively cheap. Both would be upgrades over Robertson or Peterson.

Wendle seems to be their primary 3rd basemen, and the two of them were the 4th and 5th most valuable players on the Rays last year using WAR and are getting plenty of playing time right now.

So a team coming off a WS loss, looking to compete again...seems unlikely that either would be cheap.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Renato Nunez thread is locked but he was DFA by the Tigers so I imagine the Brewers can get for basically nothing or perhaps even nothing if nobody puts in a claim. Might make sense to option Hiura with his struggles and go with some sort of Nunuz/Vogelbach/McKinney platoon for now.

Can't look at names this early but what we'll likely need is a vet SP, obviously a bullpen reliever, and you stare at a utility or 1b depending on Hiura and Urias moving forward to deadline. Do we get that all? No. Just the positions of likely need filled at the time of trade deadline.

I love the pitching staff and all but, you're kidding yourself if you're not worried how healthy those arms are down the stretch unless you're named Brett Anderson. 30 starts at 5IP is 150innings. Something only Woodruff of the young 4 has eclipsed in a year as a professional and that was in 2016.

Burnes, Peralta, Houser haven't eclipsed 130 IP in a year as a professional.

I think Woodruff will be fine he's got the workhorse build. Burnes I dont feel to confident without a pause or break during the regular season. Peralta or Houser I wouldn't be surprised their IP having some management via Lindblom and Lauer having a stint at 3 and 5 in rotation. (Hoping Lauer fixes himself over the next month-ish or 2 to be a 5)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd imaging that backup IF is the highest need at this point. Getting nothing from Robertson right now. Shaw has no backup either. Hiura is still a question mark at 1B. SP seems ok for now, but as other's have said, depth would be welcome. You can always use another arm in the BP.

If Hiura does not turn things around this season (I'm confident he will long-term), seems to me the obvious #1 target is Anthony Rizzo. If he's too pricey, maybe a cheaper 1B rental like Brandon Belt.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The bullpen looks like our #1 need.

Perhaps one more solid guy who can bridge the gap from the starters to Williams and Hader would be nice. Feyereisen has been a nice surprise, and Suter has been his typical solid self, but Boxberger and Lindblom are just guys, Yardley has been up and down, and Rasmussen has all the talent in the world, but is still inconsistent. Jury is still out on Perdomo.

The bullpen looks like our #1 need.

Perhaps one more solid guy who can bridge the gap from the starters to Williams and Hader would be nice. Feyereisen has been a nice surprise, and Suter has been his typical solid self, but Boxberger and Lindblom are just guys, Yardley has been up and down, and Rasmussen has all the talent in the world, but is still inconsistent. Jury is still out on Perdomo.

I'd be shocked if they don't add at least one bullpen arm. They are well known for doing so when in contention, usually rentals. Swarzak, Soria....I might be missing some.

I'd be shocked if they don't add at least one bullpen arm. They are well known for doing so when in contention, usually rentals. Swarzak, Soria....I might be missing some.

Drew Pomeranz (w/ Ray Black), Xavier Cedeno, and Jeremy Jeffress are some other relievers they’ve acquired in-season during the Stearns tenure.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Drew Pomeranz (w/ Ray Black), Xavier Cedeno, and Jeremy Jeffress are some other relievers they’ve acquired in-season during the Stearns tenure.

Doh! I missed some big ones. Pomeranz was huge for us.

I am operating under the assumption that the Cubs wouldn't trade Rizzo to us. I know he's just a rental so they have no incentive not to but I don't think they would like the optics of that. If they put Rizzo on the block they are going to have plenty of offers from teams not in their division.

Jeffress is currently a free agent. Might not be a bad pickup.

Maybe also sign Tyler Thornburg as well.

Archived