Brewer Fanatic

christian yelich injury thread

djoctagone

1) Of course he's not healthy now, maybe you should've called David Stearns and Mark A before they tried signing this other-worldly talent to a cheap extension since you seem to have known back then that he was going to have an injury in 2021.

2) There's quite obviously no comparison to be made to the Braves signing an extremely pre-arb Acuna on a ridiculously cheap deal. Figured that would be obvious. It makes far more sense to compare Yelich to his peers (similar age/MLB experience). Compare him to Lindor, Trout, etc etc and it's really tilted in the Brewers favor.

1) It's not about knowing anything. It's just about the risk/reward of a small market taking on the age 30+ seasons at a huge cost of a great player. It didn't work out great with Braun and Father Time is still undefeated. I don't want to be right about anything. I want Yelich to stay relatively healthy thru 36 and continue to perform at an MVP level. But that was never incredibly likely.

There was a minority of us here who felt that, maybe the best play in the long-run would be to take advantage of Yelich's massive trade value at some point rather than seek a long-term deal. Generally, we were treated like crazies.

2) I'm just responding to your own post. You said "most bargain-bin contract for a star player in all of MLB." Your words, not mine.

And frankly, I don't even agree that comparing him to his peers like Lindor and Trout is favorable to the Brewers. Trout is an otherworldly generational talent and if my investment choice is Yelich at 26M per or Trout at 35.45M, Trout is worth the extra 9.45M a year every time.

This is the age old debate. Talent costs ever increasing amounts of money. If a team doesn’t want to pay market rate for talent, all they can do is shuffle the roster every two or three years and hope to get lucky. It’s all an individual preference as to what you want to see as a fan.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fellas....chill out. It's most likely a form of herniated disk. He reaggravated it in the 4th inning and still smoked a ball later in the game. He can hardly bend down but can swing a bat and it is probably not a career ender. I had a totally random sciatic nerve issue last March and thought I was on my death bed. 4 Weeks later of treatment that probably isn't the same as a major leaguer and I was fine.

It sucks, but it will be fine. Injuries suck, but we are competitive.

Buy some $8 lower level seats with me and watch the Mouton's take the field with Everett Stull on the hill and tell me how bad it is!

Fellas....chill out. It's most likely a form of herniated disk. He reaggravated it in the 4th inning and still smoked a ball later in the game. He can hardly bend down but can swing a bat and it is probably not a career ender. I had a totally random sciatic nerve issue last March and thought I was on my death bed. 4 Weeks later of treatment that probably isn't the same as a major leaguer and I was fine.

Buy some $8 lower level seats with me and watch the Mouton's take the field with Everett Stull on the hill and tell me how bad it is!

He had an MRI done. Most likely if it were a herniated disc this would have been detected and diagnosed.

Also, we're a Wisconsin sports team which in and of itself means horrible luck and the Brewers are the unluckiest of them all.

So my guess is it's a career ending severed spinal cord and Yelich has a previously unknown clause in his contract that pays him double if an injury forces him into retirement.

He had an MRI done. Most likely if it were a herniated disc this would have been detected and diagnosed.

I will give you that, it would've 'most likley' been diagnosed. But what I will tell you is that Corbin's mystery stint on the IL is from Covid 19 positive test protocols and Yelich reinjured his back in the 4th inning last night. The Dr. isn't going to tell you or the media the full diagnosis. The guy has an angry disk. I am as upset it as everyone else on is injury but if it was detected and diagnosed as a herniated disk doesn't mean the team would give out that information to John Q Public. He has a bad disk, he can rotate but will struggle bending and can't play the field. It's not permanent and staff will play it safe due to where the team is in the standings and Yeli's contract. Go back to my very few previous posts if you need to see my track record on information..

BaseballTradeValues now has the Yelich contract valued at -53.2 million dollars. According to their numbers, this currently sits as the 9th worst contract.

That happened a lot sooner than I was expecting.

Should have traded him this off-season if the opportunity was there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
BaseballTradeValues now has the Yelich contract valued at -53.2 million dollars. According to their numbers, this currently sits as the 9th worst contract.

That Baseball Trade Values site is pretty shady. I wouldn't take anything they put up there seriously.

For those out there thinking this back issue is nothing, I have one name for you: Tiger Woods. Woods has had 5 back surgeries. It's a bad sign when a player under 30 needs days off every other week to rest a sore back. These are highly tuned athletes. He's getting paid to perform at a high level. The mystery nature of this is problematic too.

Verified Member
Yeah, this Yelich contract is going to make it pretty hard to compete after they’re unable to extend both Woodruff and Burnes unless their farm system is constantly churning out good major leaguers. Sucks.

For those out there thinking this back issue is nothing, I have one name for you: Tiger Woods. Woods has had 5 back surgeries. It's a bad sign when a player under 30 needs days off every other week to rest a sore back. These are highly tuned athletes. He's getting paid to perform at a high level. The mystery nature of this is problematic too.

This.

Also, back issues don't get better with age.

Such is the cursed organization that is the Milwaukee Brewers...

Yeah, this Yelich contract is going to make it pretty hard to compete after they’re unable to extend both Woodruff and Burnes unless their farm system is constantly churning out good major leaguers. Sucks.

They definitely shouldn’t be extending Woodruff and even extending Burnes is just asking for trouble...so can’t say this deal stopping those from happening (if that is what you are inferring) is a bad thing. Just look at Jordan Zimmerman. He got big time money and instantly turned into a replacement level pitcher.

We just don’t need to be throwing big money around.

The Braun extension was a success in my view. We got quite a bit of production out of that contract and he was an irreplaceable contributor to several winning teams.

As for Yelich...it's one nagging injury. Maybe it's the start of a trend, but it is also quite likely that some of these takes are not going to age well in a few years. These are essentially lifetime contracts, you're purchasing the rest of his career production knowing most of it is going to come at the front end of the contract. It's not like Christian is the only one having injury issues right now.

FWIW I also think ripping the Braun contract is just a bit dishonest. I think people way overstate the negative aspects of that and don't look at the big picture of what he's meant to the team. And it's not like he went Chris Davis on us. He was pretty good, for the most part. Just not the MVP. It could have been so much worse than it was.

This.

Also, back issues don't get better with age.

Such is the cursed organization that is the Milwaukee Brewers...

Let's make sure I'm getting this right, Tiger Woods has had 5 back surgeries and Christian Yelich has had zero surgeries and a very current MRI showing no structural damage.

Why are we talking about Tiger Woods again? Doesn't seem relevant.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

They definitely shouldn’t be extending Woodruff and even extending Burnes is just asking for trouble...so can’t say this deal stopping those from happening (if that is what you are inferring) is a bad thing. Just look at Jordan Zimmerman. He got big time money and instantly turned into a replacement level pitcher.

We just don’t need to be throwing big money around.

What's the biggest investment Stearns has made for a pitcher so far? Drafting Ethan Small very late in round one? Trading a 1A pick for Alex Claudio? The very reasonable extension given to Freddy Peralta? What's the biggest splash he's made for pitching in the trade market? Maybe Dubon for Pomeranz and Black? There certainly have been no big splash moves when it comes to free agent pitching.

Heck, this is a guy that, seemingly all of a sudden, started listening to offers for Josh Hader when it was determined he'd be Super Two.

If Stearns has shown one strong tendency during his time with Milwaukee, it's that he doesn't like to make big investments in pitching.

Woodruff and/or Burnes just might be the guy that causes Stearns to break that tendency. But I'll only believe that when I see it actually happen. Stearns isn't a new guy here anymore. There is a pretty decent track record now.

What's the biggest investment Stearns has made for a pitcher so far? Drafting Ethan Small very late in round one? Trading a 1A pick for Alex Claudio? The very reasonable extension given to Freddy Peralta? What's the biggest splash he's made for pitching in the trade market? Maybe Dubon for Pomeranz and Black? There certainly have been no big splash moves when it comes to free agent pitching.

Heck, this is a guy that, seemingly all of a sudden, started listening to offers for Josh Hader when it was determined he'd be Super Two.

If Stearns has shown one strong tendency during his time with Milwaukee, it's that he doesn't like to make big investments in pitching.

Woodruff and/or Burnes just might be the guy that causes Stearns to break that tendency. But I'll only believe that when I see it actually happen. Stearns isn't a new guy here anymore. There is a pretty decent track record now.

When you have young, cost controlled pitchers who are performing at a high level why would you spend big money in that area? I think it's more about what we have than what his tendencies are.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

When you have young, cost controlled pitchers who are performing at a high level why would you spend big money in that area? I think it's more about what we have than what his tendencies are.

Stearns became GM of the Brewers on Sept 21, 2015. How long have we had young, cost controlled pitchers? The 2016 staff consisted of Matt Garza (32), Zach Davies (23), Jimmy Nelson (27), Chase Anderson (28), Junior Guerra (31), and Wily Peralta (27). Not the worst staff in Brewers history, but I wouldn't say they were "young and performing at a high level."

This is Stearns' sixth full season as the Brewers' GM. He's been here long enough that he should get the credit and/or blame for the makeup of the Brewers' system top-to-bottom. I'm glad Stearns has built a team with "young, cost controlled pitchers who are performing at a high level" so that we don't have to spend big money there. Maybe if we keep finding and developing young pitching, we will be able to trade away some good MLB arms when they're nearing FA without taking a big step backwards.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Stearns became GM of the Brewers on Sept 21, 2015. How long have we had young, cost controlled pitchers? The 2016 staff consisted of Matt Garza (32), Zach Davies (23), Jimmy Nelson (27), Chase Anderson (28), Junior Guerra (31), and Wily Peralta (27). Not the worst staff in Brewers history, but I wouldn't say they were "young and performing at a high level."

This is Stearns' sixth full season as the Brewers' GM. He's been here long enough that he should get the credit and/or blame for the makeup of the Brewers' system top-to-bottom. I'm glad Stearns has built a team with "young, cost controlled pitchers who are performing at a high level" so that we don't have to spend big money there. Maybe if we keep finding and developing young pitching, we will be able to trade away some good MLB arms when they're nearing FA without taking a big step backwards.

Hard to credit Stearns for finding guys that were here before he was. Woodruff was a 2014 pick. Williams, 2013. Hader was acquired by Melvin.

Burnes is really the only high end pitching product of the Stearns era. I guess if you want to say that he's had the right guys in place in the minor league system to develop these guys, that's fair.

You just mentioned three starters in their 20's who were cost controlled and performed quite well. I guess we have a different opinion of young, cost controlled and pitching at a high level. Granted high level is a subjective term so I should have probably worded it better. He also knew his best prospects were on the pitching side pretty early on. Point being his spending habits aren't a pattern of what he wants to spend money on as much as what we have in house dictates what he spends money on.

Hard to credit Stearns for finding guys that were here before he was. Woodruff was a 2014 pick. Williams, 2013. Hader was acquired by Melvin.

Burnes is really the only high end pitching product of the Stearns era. I guess if you want to say that he's had the right guys in place in the minor league system to develop these guys, that's fair.

It isn't as much about who found them as it is the reason Stearns hasn't spent much on pitching is because he doesn't need to. I don't know if he'll do a Yelich type of contract to a comparable pitcher looking to extend on a team friendly contract mainly because that hasn't happened yet. Even then it would have to be when the Yelich contract is close to done like Braun's was. Basically all I'm saying it the circumstances are dictating what Stearns does more than any sort of pattern or trait on Stearns part.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

As far as the Yelich extension is concerned the credit or blame should go exclusively to the owner. Stearns had little to nothing to do with the contract given to Yelich and probably wasn't even in favor of it but regardless Attanasio was responsible.

As far as the Yelich extension is concerned the credit or blame should go exclusively to the owner. Stearns had little to nothing to do with the contract given to Yelich and probably wasn't even in favor of it but regardless Attanasio was responsible.

Source?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is complete utter speculative nonsense.

Even if you want to claim Yelich's deal was spearheaded by the owner, which I can see the logic behind the thought, Stearns and the front office would very much be involved in determining the parameters of the dollar value and years that would make sense for the Brewers situation. I don't think MA is just blindly throwing out terms willy nilly as part of an effort to extend Yelich.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

That Baseball Trade Values site is pretty shady. I wouldn't take anything they put up there seriously.

To me shady implies biased or unethical, I don't think it's that. But yeah it's next to impossible to determine what Yelich's real value is.

I'll say this though - if they put him on waivers today, there isn't a team in any market that would make the claim and take on the risk of the contract.

There would be trade interest, no doubt, but it would be contingent on how much salary we were wiling to eat. Even the Stanton and Arenado trades required significant amounts of cash exchanged, and they had a lot lower risk profile than Yelich currently has.

Archived