Brewer Fanatic

christian yelich injury thread

djoctagone
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone still stoked to pay this guy 26M a year for the next 7 seasons starting next year?

When he's healthy, yes absolutely I'm still stoked about that, because it's the most bargain-bin long-term contract for a star player in all of MLB.

Sit him down for a couple months if need be.

Everyone still stoked to pay this guy 26M a year for the next 7 seasons starting next year?

When he's healthy, yes absolutely I'm still stoked about that, because it's the most bargain-bin long-term contract for a star player in all of MLB.

1) He's not healthy, that's the reality, and if he's got chronic back problems now, it's fair to wonder where his health will be in 5 years.

2) It's not even close to the most bargain bin long-term contract in MLB.

Acuna has that by a million miles, healthy Yelich or not.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
For those who thought his back wasn't going to become a chronic thing, would you care to reconsider?

Not really a great "told ya so" moment. This sucks. I'm not sure how any Brewer fan, even if you perhaps guessed right on this, can't think this sucks.

For those who thought his back wasn't going to become a chronic thing, would you care to reconsider?

Not really a great "told ya so" moment. This sucks. I'm not sure how any Brewer fan, even if you perhaps guessed right on this, can't think this sucks.

Obviously it sucks. However, I had brought it up that he had missed games three different seasons due to his back and I very strongly felt this was going to become a chronic thing and I don't think others felt that way at all and were almost brushing it off as some minor thing.

1) He's not healthy, that's the reality, and if he's got chronic back problems now, it's fair to wonder where his health will be in 5 years.

1) Of course he's not healthy now, maybe you should've called David Stearns and Mark A before they tried signing this other-worldly talent to a cheap extension since you seem to have known back then that he was going to have an injury in 2021.

2) There's quite obviously no comparison to be made to the Braves signing an extremely pre-arb Acuna on a ridiculously cheap deal. Figured that would be obvious. It makes far more sense to compare Yelich to his peers (similar age/MLB experience). Compare him to Lindor, Trout, etc etc and it's really tilted in the Brewers favor.

Community Moderator
Obviously it sucks. However, I had brought it up that he had missed games three different seasons due to his back and I very strongly felt this was going to become a chronic thing and I don't think others felt that way at all and were almost brushing it off as some minor thing.

Congratulations on being right, I guess.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This almost sounds like when Sheffield had a broken foot and the Brewers medical team couldn’t find the fracture and had him play on it, until Sheff went to see his own doctor who promptly diagnosed he in fact had a fracture in his foot.

Yelich is hobbled with a back injury and the Brewers medical team can’t see anything wrong on an MRI. Time for him to see his own guy not the team’s.

If they find a cause its probably getting treated with rest anyway, small chance of surgery i guess
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I'm on your team now. And I thought Yelich's injury was super minor. This is not good.

Really disappointing. Figured at the very least he would have some awesome years in his late 20s and early 30s and now they are just getting wasted. Just want him to get healthy at this point, very bizarre they activated for a game and then right back on the IL, does not give me a lot of confidence in the Brewers medical team.

I regrettably got into a twitter argument with someone that said that since the extension doesn't start until next year, the team doesn't have to pay him.

1) Of course he's not healthy now, maybe you should've called David Stearns and Mark A before they tried signing this other-worldly talent to a cheap extension since you seem to have known back then that he was going to have an injury in 2021.

2) There's quite obviously no comparison to be made to the Braves signing an extremely pre-arb Acuna on a ridiculously cheap deal. Figured that would be obvious. It makes far more sense to compare Yelich to his peers (similar age/MLB experience). Compare him to Lindor, Trout, etc etc and it's really tilted in the Brewers favor.

1) It's not about knowing anything. It's just about the risk/reward of a small market taking on the age 30+ seasons at a huge cost of a great player. It didn't work out great with Braun and Father Time is still undefeated. I don't want to be right about anything. I want Yelich to stay relatively healthy thru 36 and continue to perform at an MVP level. But that was never incredibly likely.

There was a minority of us here who felt that, maybe the best play in the long-run would be to take advantage of Yelich's massive trade value at some point rather than seek a long-term deal. Generally, we were treated like crazies.

2) I'm just responding to your own post. You said "most bargain-bin contract for a star player in all of MLB." Your words, not mine.

And frankly, I don't even agree that comparing him to his peers like Lindor and Trout is favorable to the Brewers. Trout is an otherworldly generational talent and if my investment choice is Yelich at 26M per or Trout at 35.45M, Trout is worth the extra 9.45M a year every time.

I'm on your team now. And I thought Yelich's injury was super minor. This is not good.

I'm no expert on back injuries but my wife has been battling chronic back problems for years. There's still a chance this resolves itself in the short-term, but there are a lot of possible worse case scenarios that are pretty scary looking at the big picture. Whatever is going on, it doesn't appear to be something the Brewers medical staff is qualified to handle.

Verified Member

I regrettably got into a twitter argument with someone that said that since the extension doesn't start until next year, the team doesn't have to pay him.

Please link to this. I want to laugh.

Trout is inner circle HOF, top ten all time type player, don't think many would ever take Yelich over Trout at any point in their career.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. There's no way you can say that Yelich, even healthy is a better value at 26 AAV than Trout is at 35.45 AAV.

Community Moderator

The Braun extension was a success in my view. We got quite a bit of production out of that contract and he was an irreplaceable contributor to several winning teams.

As for Yelich...it's one nagging injury. Maybe it's the start of a trend, but it is also quite likely that some of these takes are not going to age well in a few years. These are essentially lifetime contracts, you're purchasing the rest of his career production knowing most of it is going to come at the front end of the contract. It's not like Christian is the only one having injury issues right now.

Trout is inner circle HOF, top ten all time type player, don't think many would ever take Yelich over Trout at any point in their career.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. There's no way you can say that Yelich, even healthy is a better value at 26 AAV than Trout is at 35.45 AAV.

If you're comparing Yelich's 2018/2019 with Trout, I would take that Yelich at 26 mil through 2028 versus Trout at 35 mil through 2030. But ok, if you subtract Trout from this equation, since he is obviously one of the greatest players of all time, and strictly compare MVP Yelich to my other example, Francisco Lindor, how can you possibly disagree with the value that Yelich's extension presents for the Brewers? Lindor is currently getting booed on a nightly basis by Mets fans and they've got him through 2031 for 32 mil a year.

It really sucks he's hurt obviously, but any team in MLB except for the Pirates makes that team-friendly deal with Yelich after his 2018/2019. Maybe his back ends up derailing his career completely, but maybe he just sits for a few more weeks (or months) and then he's fine.

If you're comparing Yelich's 2018/2019 with Trout, I would take that Yelich at 26 mil through 2028 versus Trout at 35 mil through 2030. But ok, if you subtract Trout from this equation, since he is obviously one of the greatest players of all time, and strictly compare MVP Yelich to my other example, Francisco Lindor, how can you possibly disagree with the value that Yelich's extension presents for the Brewers? Lindor is currently getting booed on a nightly basis by Mets fans and they've got him through 2031 for 32 mil a year.

It really sucks he's hurt obviously, but any team in MLB except for the Pirates makes that team-friendly deal with Yelich after his 2018/2019. Maybe his back ends up derailing his career completely, but maybe he just sits for a few more weeks (or months) and then he's fine.

If you're getting '18/'19 Yelich it's obviously a fine bargain but I don't think you are likely to get that.

While always a very good player, Yelich's career really took off his first two years in Milwaukee. He was a very good but not elite player in Miami and it's hard to say how his production will age especially if he ends up with chronic back issues.

If he were to finish top 5 in MVP voting just two or more times in the remainder of his career I think that would be a really optimistic outcome.

I'm good with it until I hear something that convinces me I should be worried. The dude had a clean MRI and spent his last stretch on the IL right there in the dugout hanging out with his teammates instead of laid up in bed because his back hurt too much to function. They're saying it's his back because that's where he's feeling pain, I'm starting to wonder if it's more nerve related. I don't want to speculate too much but there are lots of good doctors out there I have faith they'll figure this out.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Archived