Brewer Fanatic

Almost No-Hitters

areacodes

With the two no-no’s by Musgrove and Rodon to start the year and the talk about Ben Sheets’ dominant 2004 in the Burnes thread, it got me thinking about some almost no hitters in Brewers history. I’m thinking of games where our starter went the full game (or 9 innings) and just missed.

The two that I remember the most are from 2004 and 2008.

The infamous 17 inning tilt against the Angels started by Ben Sheets where he didn’t allow a hit but instead allowed a Vlad thru 9 innings:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA200406080.shtml

CC Sabathia’s shoulda been no hitter against the Pirates where they credited LaRoche with a infield hit on what looked to be an error by CC:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT200808310.shtml

What other memorable almost no hitters do we have in Brewers history?

The CC Sabathia is what it is. I think it was a hit in retrospect. I just don't see that being an error all that often. You can point out many pitchers can make that play, but they also aren't as big as CC and are a bit more agile.

Gallardo nearly tossed one in 2011...I really thought I was about to watch one finally. But thus, he lost it to start the 8th.

People often forget Chase Anderson not once, but twice made it through 7 no hit innings. Once in 2016 and once in 2017. 2017 was the last time the Brewers made it through 7 innings of no hit ball.

Here is the perfect article for this thread:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2019/08/24/look-near-miss-no-hitters-brewers-history/2108786001/#

the Dave Bush afternoon game against the Jays in the one that comes to mind, besides the obvious CC one against the Bucs.

This is the one that comes to mind for me. I remember it being in the 7th and speeding home to try and catch the rest of the game because, well, history. Only for Overbay to break it up in the 8th and almost lose it in the 9th. 8-0 going into the 8th and the Brewers won 8-7, behind a 6-run 9th for Toronto.

I can remember listening to the Odell Jones game and wondering how he stayed in the game as long as he did.

I've always liked knuckleballers. Back in 1996 Steve Sparks gave up a single hit and lost a decision to Kansas City 3-2. He had walked two batters before giving up a three run shot in the fifth. Graeme Lloyd threw the ninth inning.

the Dave Bush afternoon game against the Jays in the one that comes to mind, besides the obvious CC one against the Bucs.

This is the one that comes to mind for me. I remember it being in the 7th and speeding home to try and catch the rest of the game because, well, history. Only for Overbay to break it up in the 8th and almost lose it in the 9th. 8-0 going into the 8th and the Brewers won 8-7, behind a 6-run 9th for Toronto.

I was at this game. Loved DaBush. Talk about a roller coaster that day!

Didn't Jaime Navarro flirt with a couple in 1992? Also, Chris Saenz with a memorable one. Steve Woodard gave up the leadoff hit in Toronto (wasn't it like Otis Nixon?) while facing the Rocket

Didn’t Wes Obermueller have one into the 8th at Washington 10 years ago or so

Actually, he got to one out in the 7th before giving up a couple singles, and it was 2005 so well over 10 years. Obermueller, who generally struggled sprinkled in some gems in his brief career including a complete game shutout in 2004.

Archived