Brewer Fanatic

tyrone taylor recalled

djoctagone

Made the most of his few days in AAA:

Minor League Baseball announced today that Nashville Sounds outfielder Tyrone Taylor has been named Triple-A East Player of the Week for his play from May 24-30. Taylor is the first Sounds player to garner the league’s weekly honor this season.

Taylor joined Nashville from the Milwaukee Brewers on May 25 and has played in four games on the current road trip. He is hitting .533 (8-for-15) with 7 runs, 2 doubles, 3 home runs, 8 RBI and 4 walks. He has homered in three of the four games he has played with the Sounds.

The 27-year-old Taylor has helped the Sounds compile the best record in Minor League Baseball at 18-5. The team has won 12 games in a row, the longest winning streak in Minor League Baseball in 2021.

https://www.milb.com/nashville/news/tyrone-taylor-named-triple-a-east-player-of-the-week

So now the big question is, will Taylor get a lot of playing time, or will JBJ be the every day CF until Cain returns?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So now the big question is, will Taylor get a lot of playing time, or will JBJ be the every day CF until Cain returns?

For what it's worth, Taylor is starting today in CF, hitting 6th.

Thanks. Taylor's been hot and JBJ hasn't, but JBJ has a much longer track record, so I just think it'll be interesting (and maybe somewhat telling) to see which way they go.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Community Moderator

For what it's worth, Taylor is starting today in CF, hitting 6th.

Thanks. Taylor's been hot and JBJ hasn't, but JBJ has a much longer track record, so I just think it'll be interesting (and maybe somewhat telling) to see which way they go.

Also have a lefty on the mound today, so wouldn't necessarily assume TT will be playing regularly just because he's in the lineup today.

I would guess he will be CF vs LHP, play LF for Yelich when he needs his days & then like a game a week in RF to get Avi some regular rest.

Hopefully he carries over the AAA hot streak & forces their hand a little bit.

Taylor seems to me like he's going to be a classic AAAA player. Not going to benefit from further development at AAA, but just not going to have sustained success at MLB.

I would say he probably is better than a AAAA player, but isn't all that different than the Ben Gamel types of the world. Every roster in MLB has a Tyrone Taylor 4th or 5th OF.

Taylor seems to me like he's going to be a classic AAAA player. Not going to benefit from further development at AAA, but just not going to have sustained success at MLB.

Think that's probably harsh. At the very least he's a cheap backup outfielder for 3 seasons. You don't want him starting for any length of time but as a fill in for a few weeks and pinch hitter/runner and defensive replacement, he's fine.

Think that's probably harsh. At the very least he's a cheap backup outfielder for 3 seasons. You don't want him starting for any length of time but as a fill in for a few weeks and pinch hitter/runner and defensive replacement, he's fine.

Probably so. I don't mean to imply that he has no value. He'll probably be a fine 4th/5th outfielder. I just don't expect him to ever develop into more than that.

I don't think it's fair to label him a 4th-5th OF after 141 major league plate appearances where he's slugged .479 and has an OPS just under .800. He's shown signs of being a classic late bloomer. He absolutely raked in his last month at AAA in 2019. He's a fine defensive outfielder so that's not an issue either. He doesn't strike out a ton by today's standards. What's not to like about him? The fact that he went through a little 3 week slump earlier in May? What major league regular hasn't done that? It wasn't like he was striking out every other AB during that slump. B-R has him as a career .6 WAR in basically about a 1/5th of a major league season.

I don’t know what his exit velocity numbers say, but I see an extremely twitchy, athletic guy. His bat speed looks outstanding to me.

Agree on the late bloomer thing being a possibility. People (myself included) often label a guy in their mind as a particular type, but that belies the fact that guys can and do improve and aren’t just static. It’s especially true in baseball where you can find a change that leads to success regardless of overall physical talent.

In Taylor’s case, the jury is out on whether he can develop a consistent enough hit tool.

I don't think it's fair to label him a 4th-5th OF after 141 major league plate appearances where he's slugged .479 and has an OPS just under .800. He's shown signs of being a classic late bloomer. He absolutely raked in his last month at AAA in 2019. He's a fine defensive outfielder so that's not an issue either. He doesn't strike out a ton by today's standards. What's not to like about him? The fact that he went through a little 3 week slump earlier in May? What major league regular hasn't done that? It wasn't like he was striking out every other AB during that slump. B-R has him as a career .6 WAR in basically about a 1/5th of a major league season.

This will be an interesting offseason, as the Brewers hold a $12M option on Garcia ($2M buyout), and Bradley has the option of opting out of his $11M for 2022. After a crazy 2020, Garcia is bouncing back nicely and looks to be worth the $12M, while it's looking more and more like Bradley may not opt out of his contract. However, if he becomes the 5th OF in Milwaukee and knows he won't see much PT, he might want to opt out and try to find a starting job somewhere.

Whatever happens, it will be nice if Taylor can get some PAs this year to see what we have in him. If he can prove to be an average outfielder at a low cost, then he can allow the Brewers to save some money there and use it to fill holes elsewhere in the roster. The Brewers seem to be in "put up or shut up" mode, which is good. I don't care if they're paying $30M to Cain and JBJ, if Taylor can prove himself to be the best option, then he should be the one playing.

It's a shame that of Cain, JBJ, and Garcia, the one we'd probably most want to keep is the one we have an option on, and the ones we'd probably like to get rid of are the ones who will probably be back. I'd love for JBJ to opt out, so we can have a Yelich, Garcia and Cain/Taylor next year, with the possibility of Taylor taking over as a full-time OF when Cain and Garcia are gone. We don't have many cheap position players, so hopefully Taylor can do well.

~Bill Walsh

The affinity for Taylor is probably a byproduct of how bad the Brewers hitters are. His MLB slash line is .238/.319/.476, a rookie 27 year old corner outfielder with a sub .800 OPS is nothing to really get excited about. This is especially so when the minor league slash line is .270/.329/.415 (which suggests to me he is the exact same player he has been the last nine years in the minors but has likely bought into the launch angle craze sacrificing batting average for an increase in power).

He is what he is, a reserve outfielder with a high floor and low ceiling.

I have seen Taylor compared to Gamel before but Taylor has pop while Gamel really doesn't, would certainly consider Taylor an upgrade over Gamel. As mentioned elsewhere Garcia's 2022 option will likely become a mutual option with everybody getting hurt and lack of production from Brantley. With him turning 30 I imagine he would look for a longer term contract which should open more at bats for Taylor next year.

The affinity for Taylor is probably a byproduct of how bad the Brewers hitters are. His MLB slash line is .238/.319/.476, a rookie 27 year old corner outfielder with a sub .800 OPS is nothing to really get excited about. This is especially so when the minor league slash line is .270/.329/.415 (which suggests to me he is the exact same player he has been the last nine years in the minors but has likely bought into the launch angle craze sacrificing batting average for an increase in power).

Right, but if that "high floor" allows the Brewers to save some money by having him put up a .750-.800 OPS with decent defense for a few years while he's cheap, they can have some money to spend on a position of need. The Brewers need to have some positions filled with average players playing for below average pay, and Taylor has the possibility of doing that.

Unfortunately, they're stuck paying Cain $35M for this year and next, and will probably get stuck with JBJ for another year at $11M. I just hope that if Taylor proves to be a better option than one or both of them, they let him play even though the other guys are making a lot more money.

I really wanted JBJ to be good, but since he's been bad let him sit the bench as the 5th OF. That would be the best bet at this point to make him want to opt out of his contract and save the Brewers money for next year.

~Bill Walsh

So he's JBJ for 10mil less a year? Sign me up.

I can’t imagine why JBJ would opt out - especially with potential CBA issues looming. Isn’t the whole point of the player opt out to protect themselves in case of a terrible (or great) season?

I can’t imagine why JBJ would opt out - especially with potential CBA issues looming. Isn’t the whole point of the player opt out to protect themselves in case of a terrible (or great) season?

I doubt he'll opt out. My only thought is that if he knows he'll be the 5th OF, he'll know that while he's getting $11M to be that 5th OF, he'll never sign another big deal (he'll be 32 next year).

If he still believes in himself, he'd probably rather be a starter than a bench player. If he thinks he can find a starting job somewhere, next offseason would probably be his last chance to sign a multi-year deal.

It will be up to him and his agent to decide on his option, and there is a good chance that he will pick up the option and be a Brewer next year. I just think that he'd be more likely to opt out if Taylor gets ahead of him on the depth chart and he knows that he will not get much playing time than he would if he goes into the year as a starter or even a platoon player.

~Bill Walsh

I doubt he'll opt out. My only thought is that if he knows he'll be the 5th OF, he'll know that while he's getting $11M to be that 5th OF, he'll never sign another big deal (he'll be 32 next year).

If he still believes in himself, he'd probably rather be a starter than a bench player. If he thinks he can find a starting job somewhere, next offseason would probably be his last chance to sign a multi-year deal.

It will be up to him and his agent to decide on his option, and there is a good chance that he will pick up the option and be a Brewer next year. I just think that he'd be more likely to opt out if Taylor gets ahead of him on the depth chart and he knows that he will not get much playing time than he would if he goes into the year as a starter or even a platoon player.

I can't think of an instance where a player had a terrible season (lets assume this is the situation at end of season), and opted out of substantially more guaranteed money to go somewhere to potentially start (I can't see any team giving him the job if he has a bad season).

I can't think of an instance where a player had a terrible season (lets assume this is the situation at end of season), and opted out of substantially more guaranteed money to go somewhere to potentially start (I can't see any team giving him the job if he has a bad season).

It's certainly a pipe dream, but it's all I've got :-)

My hope, I guess, is that the Brewers will play the player they think gives them the best chance of success. Cain appears pretty washed up, and I think that taking last year off and sitting around the house just made his end come sooner. I hope he hits the offseason workouts hard when 2021 is over so that he can provide some value in 2022, but I don't expect much out of him going forward.

Bradley should be better than he has been, so there is hope that he will snap out of it and get hot, but he's been awful so far. Taylor has been the best of the three this year, but my worry is that they will continue to play Cain and Bradley because they're paying them a combined $30M this year, and will probably have to pay them a combined $29M next year.

~Bill Walsh

I don't know who is going to give JBJ anything more than a 1 year prove it deal anyway next year, and he's certainly not going to get 11M. So he'll exercise the option, barring a substantially good rest of the season. I can't think of a more obvious situation to do so.

I don't think where he is listed on the depth chart is going to have any major impact on his choice. It's not like we are bludgeoning with better options where he has no chance to play his way into more playing time. Garcia came into 2021 with no clear starting spot and he's on pace for about 600 PAs. If JBJ plays like he did in 2020 his innings will go way up and he'll get another deal somewhere after '22.

Archived