Brewer Fanatic

tyrone taylor recalled

djoctagone

• 3 weeks later...
Feel bad for Tyrone because he's been outplaying Garcia. Hopefully he realizes it's just an unfortunate circumstance of service time rules and also that McKinney can play 1B.

Feel bad for Tyrone because he's been outplaying Garcia. Hopefully he realizes it's just an unfortunate circumstance of service time rules and also that McKinney can play 1B.

I,think he is smart enough to figure that out……..

Taylor: 31 ABs. Garcia: 90 ABs. Let's not blur logic too far.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Not really. Maybe in the average department he is out playing Garcia but overall I will take Garcia as he is still hitting the ball rather hard even through his slump. At some point those hard hit balls are going to become hits and Taylor will look like the 5th OF he is.

Let’s not forget Bryan LaHair. Like Taylor he came out of nowhere and blistered the ball for the Cubs in April of 2012.

Yup, 90 ABs for Garcia...if you want to add more terrible ABs he had 181 last year.

Not vouching that Taylor should have stayed and dumped Garcia...but not like Garcia’s large sample of sucking should make Taylor’s good 31 AB be irrelevant.

I’m sure Taylor will have plenty of time to prove himself over the next few months. If he still looks like a competent hitter I’m guessing they will not have much problem dumping Garcia for him (if Garcia still hasn’t figured out how to hit).

Not even kidding, let Taylor play first base every day for a few weeks in AAA. Let him transition to a 1B/OF for us and take over full time midseason. Almost like a midseason acquisition. It’ll help the versatility of the club moving forward and if his bat is legit, heck even a .250/.320/.750 hitter, would be sweet. Especially for making the minimum.

Yup, 90 ABs for Garcia...if you want to add more terrible ABs he had 181 last year.

Not vouching that Taylor should have stayed and dumped Garcia...but not like Garcia’s large sample of sucking should make Taylor’s good 31 AB be irrelevant.

I’m sure Taylor will have plenty of time to prove himself over the next few months. If he still looks like a competent hitter I’m guessing they will not have much problem dumping Garcia for him (if Garcia still hasn’t figured out how to hit).

I think Taylor's 31 ABs is irrelevant all on its own. He had a hot streak and now doesn't get to stick around to come back down to earth, which he already had started doing going 1 for his last 12 ABs.

I enjoyed Taylor looking like a competent hitter, he looked real good while a lot of guys were looking real bad. I'm not ready to call him a MLB player until he has some downs to go with his ups.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

At least Taylor will be playing every day. But I don't blame him for wondering what the Brewers really think of him when they overspent on outfielders two seasons in a row that have delayed his major league career. Will they really buy out Garcia's option year to open up a clear roster spot for him in 2022 or will they invest another $10-15 million on an underachieving "name" player?

Now it would have been a different matter had they stepped up and signed Castellanos instead of Garcia and Bradley.

Over the long run I will take Garcia over Taylor. Garcia's approach is just going to provide better results than Taylor's will.

I like Taylor but he is a #4/5 OF. Also Garcia is the type of bat some have been clamoring for. As Garcia is not a 3TO type of a player yes he does walk a lot but he normally doesn't have high K numbers and his swing is more of a line drive swing.

Urias is another who doesn't launch the ball and is more of a line drive swinger.

Of the main starters Urias has the lowest launch angle at 4.3 with Yelich at 5.2 and Garcia at 7.6. Everyone after that are in the 8's or higher. Taylor is at 20.5 so another 3TO type player.

At least Taylor will be playing every day. But I don't blame him for wondering what the Brewers really think of him when they overspent on outfielders two seasons in a row that have delayed his major league career. Will they really buy out Garcia's option year to open up a clear roster spot for him in 2022 or will they invest another $10-15 million on an underachieving "name" player?

Now it would have been a different matter had they stepped up and signed Castellanos instead of Garcia and Bradley.

Most roster spots are earned. .269/.327/.411 across thousands of minor league at bats tells us Taylor hasn’t forced his way on to the big league roster. It’s great he’s a 2nd round pick that made it to the big leagues and if he develops into a 4th OFer like Ben Gamel that would also be great. There’s nothing about his skills set or number, except the 90 at bats he’s gotten in his thee cups of coffee in the majors that warrants making him part of the future plans going forward

Most roster spots are earned. .269/.327/.411 across thousands of minor league at bats tells us Taylor hasn’t forced his way on to the big league roster. It’s great he’s a 2nd round pick that made it to the big leagues and if he develops into a 4th OFer like Ben Gamel that would also be great. There’s nothing about his skills set or number, except the 90 at bats he’s gotten in his thee cups of coffee in the majors that warrants making him part of the future plans going forward

Trent Grisham's minor league numbers were worse than that before he made an adjustment in 2019. I'm not saying Taylor just needs to make an adjustment, but it does happen. I don't think he is the next Grisham, but I wouldn't rule it out completely just because it's a rare event. At this point sending him down makes sense and as soon as he's needed he will likely be back, but it does raise a question about how the Brewers are spending their payroll. Could Taylor provide close to what either Garcia or Bradley are providing for $10M a year LESS so that the Brewers could spend the savings on a relief pitcher or a better IF backup than Robinson. Or a 1B that hits above the Mendoza line. Basically an upgrade at any one of several positions. So far both of them are brutal for the investment and it looks like we will be stuck with Bradley for another year unless he gets hot.

Not the gospel, but Garcia has been one of the unluckiest hitters in the league according to expected wOBA (xwOBA). He "should" have a very nice .374 wOBA based on how hard he has been hitting the ball: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/hitter-xwoba-underperformers-may-3-2021/

Taylor will be back soon, no big deal getting sent down.

Good find, his xwOBA is really interesting. I know it was plugged in several spots a few weeks ago that he was one of only a few players that were 90th percentile or better in both sprint speed and hard-hit rate. I know he's been slumping but I do think Garcia is going to get a good long leash to get going again when the underlying numbers are that promising.

Meanwhile, Taylor cooled off a bit in his past 3 or 4 games, kinda made the decision easy to option him here.

Looking at minor league numbers as a whole are completely meaningless, especially across such a large number of seasons. How is it relevant that in 2015 he posted a 640 OPS at AA at age 21? Looking at the last 3 seasons is going to tell you way more than those early years. 2017 he posted 865 OPS, 2018 he posted 825 OPS, 2019 he posted 804 OPS...worth noting in 2019 we had moved to San Antonio, so the whole Colorado Springs thing is no longer a thing that year. All that while being a very good athlete and very solid in the field.

Based on your thought process, probably would have been stupid to make Manny Pina a part of the future plans. After all, he posted a 714 career OPS in the minors. Or maybe the Brewers looked at his prior 2 seasons of 850+ OPS combined and saw his very solid defense and realized he could be a solid piece.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Garcia will get a long leash because of the money he is being paid. But it isn't like there is a lot of upside there either. He is a career 269/323/419/743, 102 OPS+ hitter. Pretty much average and at age 30, that isn't going to get better.

Taylor at least has some upside possibility while providing about the same floor (Avi's OPS+ for last year and this year are both 78).

Looking at minor league numbers as a whole are completely meaningless, especially across such a large number of seasons. How is it relevant that in 2015 he posted a 640 OPS at AA at age 21? Looking at the last 3 seasons is going to tell you way more than those early years. 2017 he posted 865 OPS, 2018 he posted 825 OPS, 2019 he posted 804 OPS...worth noting in 2019 we had moved to San Antonio, so the whole Colorado Springs thing is no longer a thing that year. All that while being a very good athlete and very solid in the field.

Based on your thought process, probably would have been stupid to make Manny Pina a part of the future plans. After all, he posted a 714 career OPS in the minors. Or maybe the Brewers looked at his prior 2 seasons of 850+ OPS combined and saw his very solid defense and realized he could be a solid piece.

Your argument for him is a three year stretch where his production dropped off each season? A stretch that ended in an 804 OPS in AAA, which was the only year he didn't play in high altitude. I think your comparison to Manny Pina is about right. Like Manny Pina, he's someone who looks best suited to a backup role. Also like Pena, when he's the starter you should be looking to upgrade.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Worth noting is that that 2019 804 OPS was 10% below average. The PCL as a whole has very hitter-friendly ballparks even without Colorado, and AAA used the very juiced 2019 MLB baseball that year. 2019 was, if anything, a disappointing step back (at least from a statistical standpoint; I didn't see him play in AAA). Overall through 2017-2019 (I'm ignoring the 40 PAs of Rookie-ball rehab stints) he was almost exactly an average hitter for those leagues. Now I like Taylor and I hope he features a lot this year and even more next year, but it doesn't really change the fact that pre-2021 (Or pre-2020) Tyrone Taylor wasn't someone whose presence meant you wouldn't be signing other OFs (As the original post in the chain talked about).

Solid piece? Like another poster mentioned, Pina is the #2 catcher. Plus, they replaced him as their starter three years ago. He very well amy be the best #2 catcher in baseball, but it still means he's just a guy.

As for Taylor, he was a 2nd round pick. The fact he made the majors at all is a huge success for the Brewers player development team. However, there is a reason Taylor was drafted out of high school in 2012 and is got his first at bats in the majors in '19, '20 and '21.

He should have been knocking on the door of the big leagues in 2016 yet that year Kirk Nieuwenhius, Ramon Flores, and Alex Presley soaked up nearly 700 at bats in the Brewer outfield. In 2017 Keon Broxton, Hernan Perez, Nick Franklin and Niewenhuis soaked up another 800 at bats in the big league outfield.

Similar to Jacob Nottingham at catcher, the door was wide open for Taylor to step into the CF role with the Brewers and the organization was very patient. You could also argue that Taylor's inability to play his way onto the major league roster before 2019 is one of the reasons Lorenzo Cain is on the Brewers today.

I do hope the Taylor we've seen in his first 79 big league at bats is the same hitter he'll be over his next 3500 at bats, but all we can judge him by is his history and that leaves me skeptical.

Archived