Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-14: Cubs (Arrieta) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers win, 7-0 -- Burnes historic start to the season continues]

Eye Black

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continuing from yesterday's Contreras drama I wonder if something more comes of it today. I don't want to see Burnes get tossed out of the game, definitely don't want a suspension but it rubs me the wrong way how the Cubs chose to retaliate by throwing at a pitcher instead of a regular guy in the batting order. That's garbage in my view. Woody wasn't the only guy to hit Contreras, did they feel like with Yelich not being in the game that Woody was the only Brewers star worthy of being thrown at? That's kind of pathetic.

Contreras has been hit a bunch, none of them had any feeling of purpose behind it. They seem to think Brewers pitchers shouldn't pitch inside, that's not how it works. If they're going to get worked up over it might as well make it worth our while at some point but it should depend on the game situation. Maybe it doesn't happen today and gets filed away for future consideration.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

It irks me that Jake Arrieta, who was basically the Cubs' version of the Jordan Zimmermann signing, is seemingly good again. I'm sick of low-risk signings working out for the Cubs. It's time for that team to crawl back into its mismanaged hole.

It's two starts, against the team with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft. xFIP and Statcast's xERA are both at ~5.3, DRA is 6.16 (DRA- of 134), WHIP of 1.42, velocity is down even from last year. He hasn't been particularly good, he just hasn't given up much in the way of runs. I think the 4.50-4.90 or so ERA that the projections have him for seems reasonable. He's declining, but has a good defense around him and probably knows how to make the most of that.

I thought I read that Arrieta was using a different pitch or using one a lot more and maybe that had something to do with his early success. However, his hard hit rate is almost 45% and his average exit velocity is well above his career averages so the numbers seem to indicate he's been more lucky than good.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I thought I read that Arrieta was using a different pitch or using one a lot more and maybe that had something to do with his early success. However, his hard hit rate is almost 45% and his average exit velocity is well above his career averages so the numbers seem to indicate he's been more lucky than good.

I hope this proves correct. It just seems like he's the type (old, underpowered, crafty) that seemingly has given this offense fits in the past.

Continuing from yesterday's Contreras drama I wonder if something more comes of it today. I don't want to see Burnes get tossed out of the game, definitely don't want a suspension but it rubs me the wrong way how the Cubs chose to retaliate by throwing at a pitcher instead of a regular guy in the batting order. That's garbage in my view. Woody wasn't the only guy to hit Contreras, did they feel like with Yelich not being in the game that Woody was the only Brewers star worthy of being thrown at? That's kind of pathetic.

Contreras has been hit a bunch, none of them had any feeling of purpose behind it. They seem to think Brewers pitchers shouldn't pitch inside, that's not how it works. If they're going to get worked up over it might as well make it worth our while at some point but it should depend on the game situation. Maybe it doesn't happen today and gets filed away for future consideration.

The other thing that irritates me is that baseball sitting this situation out until a brawl happens practically ensures that a brawl is going to happen, which is exactly what MLB pays lip service about "having no place in the game." You don't want beanball wars? Fine, neither does Counsell, it seems. I am absolutely fine with not engaging in tit for tat beanings, especially after I grew up watching the disgustingly sanctimonious thuggery of LaRussa's Cards. But you can't say this stuff can't continue in our game and then NOT step in when a team one-sidedly escalates the situation while the other does not. And you would think MLB certainly would offer a suspension or two after a player straight up admits in an interview that they threw at a player intentionally.

But MLB is an administrative clown show, so of course this ends in blood. That'll be another banner day at the office for you, Manfred.

Lo Cain to the 10-day IL. Tyrone Taylor up.

Hopefully Lo can get his legs back under him and be back on the short end of the timeframe. Definitely seeing why quality depth is important this season.

They had to put either Yelich or Cain on the IL, if not both.

Hopefully this suggests that Yelich is closer to a return.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Arrieta had definitely been getting lucky, and it's only 2 games so far for him, but is anyone surprised he's doing better than Jordan Zimmerman? That seems like an odd comparison. Jordan is much farther removed from having a decent season than Jake is.

The other thing that irritates me is that baseball sitting this situation out until a brawl happens practically ensures that a brawl is going to happen, which is exactly what MLB pays lip service about "having no place in the game." You don't want beanball wars? Fine, neither does Counsell, it seems. I am absolutely fine with not engaging in tit for tat beanings, especially after I grew up watching the disgustingly sanctimonious thuggery of LaRussa's Cards. But you can't say this stuff can't continue in our game and then NOT step in when a team one-sidedly escalates the situation while the other does not. And you would think MLB certainly would offer a suspension or two after a player straight up admits in an interview that they threw at a player intentionally.

But MLB is an administrative clown show, so of course this ends in blood. That'll be another banner day at the office for you, Manfred.

This is exactly what gets me every time these situations happen. MLB says they want to stop it and then does nothing to stop it. It's like that scene in South Park where the two kids are beating the crap out of each other and all the adults are standing there watching and then finally when they're both a bloody mess does someone step up and say knock it off.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Arrieta had definitely been getting lucky, and it's only 2 games so far for him, but is anyone surprised he's doing better than Jordan Zimmerman? That seems like an odd comparison. Jordan is much farther removed from having a decent season than Jake is.

Eh, both have been bad the last few years. The comparison is that both are basically reclamation project veterans with substantially diminished stuff at this point in their careers.

Have to agree with all of this. Counsell has pretty much been as anti-retaliation as it gets in baseball, either that or the Brewers have mastered the unintentional intentional HBP to the point where it truly looks like there isn't intention behind it even to their own fans.

LaRussa is such a tool as well, he was pulling his same old retaliation garbage in spring training of all things, his schtick is just so tired and obvious. He might as well be a robot.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yelich will play Friday, I'm about 99% certain. I think he could play now, but with the day game, then an off day, it just made no sense to rush him.

I'm less certain, as it made all the sense in the world for him to PH in the 9th yesterday. Either he wasn't even healthy enough to take one AB, or they still are uncertain enough where they didn't want to reset the date on a potential retroactive IL stint.

Eh, both have been bad the last few years. The comparison is that both are basically reclamation project veterans with substantially diminished stuff at this point in their careers.

I didn't look up the statcast on Arrieta's "stuff", but he is without a doubt the better of the two pitchers. He's on a $6 mil. guarantee whereas Zimmermann is on a minor league deal. To be sure, Arrieta isn't the TOR arm he was in '14-'16. However, he is still a major league caliber starting pitcher when healthy. However other than his first season with the Phillies he's either been on the IL or trying to pitch through injuries.

Yelich will play Friday, I'm about 99% certain. I think he could play now, but with the day game, then an off day, it just made no sense to rush him.

I'm less certain, as it made all the sense in the world for him to PH in the 9th yesterday. Either he wasn't even healthy enough to take one AB, or they still are uncertain enough where they didn't want to reset the date on a potential retroactive IL stint.

I don't think it made any sense since a strenuous swing is exactly what would re-aggravate the back. I think he is a bit stiff but would play through this in September. I think they just want it to heal up for now, and saw the opportunity for extended rest on the off day.

Many Cubs players have said they don't believe it's intentional, but are calling us out for being sloppy on how we pitch inside and need to be better at it. Their whining should be treated completely as white noise. Many players on that team crowd the plate, but HBP hasn't been an issue because others like Rizzo(notorious plate crowder) aren't whiny man-babies and understand that crowding the plate results in more HBP. AND...there's plenty of evidence of Contreras actually leaning into pitches trying to get hit. My opinion is the Brewers shouldn't change their approach one iota. Keep pitching inside, try not to hit guys for strategy reasons(we don't want baserunners)...not because Contreras might get mad and have a temper tantrum. And absolutely no intentional HBP for message purposes. We aren't the Cardinals and screw the unwritten rules(though apparently the Cubs are now subscribing after that pitch by Tepera). I'd much rather one of the Brewers do a Castellanos when he gets to home plate after a HR right in Contreras face...much better message.

I agree with this. They’ll see how he is tomorrow and Friday and if he can’t go Friday he’ll go on the IL.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Many Cubs players have said they don't believe it's intentional, but are calling us out for being sloppy on how we pitch inside and need to be better at it. Their whining should be treated completely as white noise. Many players on that team crowd the plate, but HBP hasn't been an issue because others like Rizzo(notorious plate crowder) aren't whiny man-babies and understand that crowding the plate results in more HBP. AND...there's plenty of evidence of Contreras actually leaning into pitches trying to get hit. My opinion is the Brewers shouldn't change their approach one iota. Keep pitching inside, try not to hit guys for strategy reasons(we don't want baserunners)...not because Contreras might get mad and have a temper tantrum. And absolutely no intentional HBP for message purposes. We aren't the Cardinals and screw the unwritten rules(though apparently the Cubs are now subscribing after that pitch by Tepera). I'd much rather one of the Brewers do a Castellanos when he gets to home plate after a HR right in Contreras face...much better message.

Ballplayers are all members of the same uber wealthy fraternity. Any sort of suggestion of a feud over intentional HBPs is just journalists stirring things up to get clicks. Every ball player in the major leagues knows HBPs are part of the game, and they've probably all been hit countless times (Contreras was hit 14 times in just 57 games last year). Not a single member of the fraternity wants to intentionally do something to a fellow member that can take away their membership in the club.

Contreras had a gripe where he got hit, not because he got hit. I think he even said he was upset because getting hit high and tight can end careers.

Archived